What did you choose your gas gm 2500 over and why

What other trucks were you looking at before you decided on your GM 2500 gas?  Did you come from another brand.  I think brand loyalty in truck ownership goes a little too far sometimes.  I have had at least one GM all my life, but really want to keep an open mind.  I looked at everything and decided on a Sierra 2500 AT4.

I was primarily focused on the F250 with the 7.3 gas and 10 speed initially, but I also knew I was going to check out a GM (Dodge was never really on my radar, I drove one but never gave it any more thought). 

Some objective input on: Comparing the F250 to a GM 2500 both gas engines, 4x4, crew cabs, info from the manufacturers web sites:

gm_v_ford_1109d13ddce1abbf7f41b2138defb3

To me the numbers do not indicate one truck is "in a world of its own", but the Ford certainly gets most of the press/media attention and definitely has a loud-mouthed following on many forums, claiming it is the greatest truck power-train since the steam engine.  Funny since the 7.3 is basically an LS clone.

Now some subjective input... I've driven both and ended up going with a '21 GMC SLT 2500. This is my daily driver and the ride difference between the Ford (wooden wagon on a brick road) and the GM (heavy duty truck, not as smooth as a half-ton) was dramatic in my opinion. I really wanted to like the Ford, I give it the styling edge and yes, the 7.3 is the shiny new object that everyone is looking at, but it is not clearly better (or worse) than the 6.6. When I drove it, the 10 speed was all over the place in town, seemed like it could never make up its mind what gear to be in. The 6 speed felt predictable and smooth. Real world numbers are showing no real difference in mileage or towing.  If GM put a 10 speed behind the 6.6, it might well surpass the Ford across the board since it is clearly holding even with "only" the current 6 speed.

I'm also seeing about 13mpg in mixed use driving in mine. I have towed 8000 once so far and it of course handled it fine like you would expect. Shockingly, the reality comes down to "are you a Chevy guy or a Ford guy", unless you like keeping your dental work in place, then you have to go GM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrjulian416 said:

I was primarily focused on the F250 with the 7.3 gas and 10 speed initially, but I also knew I was going to check out a GM (Dodge was never really on my radar, I drove one but never gave it any more thought). 

Some objective input on: Comparing the F250 to a GM 2500 both gas engines, 4x4, crew cabs, info from the manufacturers web sites:

To me the numbers do not indicate one truck is "in a world of its own", but the Ford certainly gets most of the press/media attention and definitely has a loud-mouthed following on many forums, claiming it is the greatest truck power-train since the steam engine.  Funny since the 7.3 is basically an LS clone.

Now some subjective input... I've driven both and ended up going with a '21 GMC SLT 2500. This is my daily driver and the ride difference between the Ford (wooden wagon on a brick road) and the GM (heavy duty truck, not as smooth as a half-ton) was dramatic in my opinion. I really wanted to like the Ford, I give it the styling edge and yes, the 7.3 is the shiny new object that everyone is looking at, but it is not clearly better (or worse) than the 6.6. When I drove it, the 10 speed was all over the place in town, seemed like it could never make up its mind what gear to be in. The 6 speed felt predictable and smooth. Real world numbers are showing no real difference in mileage or towing.  If GM put a 10 speed behind the 6.6, it might well surpass the Ford across the board since it is clearly holding even with "only" the current 6 speed.

I'm also seeing about 13mpg in mixed use driving in mine. I have towed 8000 once so far and it of course handled it fine like you would expect. Shockingly, the reality comes down to "are you a Chevy guy or a Ford guy", unless you like keeping your dental work in place, then you have to go GM.

See that there folks!  An honest opinion about the trucks...Very good!  I would couple the fact that after "Hardcore Contractor Use"  the difference 5yrs out becomes blatantly obvious glad you made a Strong Decision! 

I'm one those loyal GM guys with a little different story. Had 2004 GMC LLY diesel and loved it! At 17 years old (I keep them awhile), I was starting to see the writing on the wall for me personally.  Replaced Turbo last summer $3500 and then the tranny went into limp mode twice on the same camping trip going and coming home. It was time. Tranny would have been ~ $8000, Injectors were never replaced and are normally good for about 150k to 200k = ~$5000. Went back to gas this time. My old LLY was 310hp / 528 ft lb torque. This gas is 401hp and 464 ft lb torque. My old camper weighs 8500 dry - new campers like it are now 6900 lbs. Things to consider  - 1. We use the camper about once a month locally 50-100 miles and one or two trips in the summer 1000- 2500 miles each. 2. $10k more for a diesel 3. diesel is about $.25/.$30 more than gas. 3. DEF costs. 4. Maintenance/repair costs 5. Aftertreatment systems, I work in the heavy duty class 8 truck business and have seen what these systems cost our company and customers. Haven't tow yet but looking forward to the first trip with the camper in April. Just my 2 cents.

I came from Toyota.... Tunda's and Tacoma's. But the rest of the market is improving gas millage but Toyota really isnt. So I started looking at 1500's. I wanted something that would tow a trailer/camper and could hold its own in the dirt. I was looking at the 1500 and without the Trail Boss or AT4 they just didnt do it for me, which I was looking at a $60k price tag. I happen to look at 2500 prices and they were WAY cheaper than $60k. Gas millage was about the same as a Tundra, but with more towing. The 2500 also look beefy and intimidating stock. I wanted gas because I had a diesel before and it was a total pain in the ass. Not only is it .30 more per gallon, but you have to deal with DEF. Plus we get gas at CostCo so they dont carry diesel here. I wasnt planning on hauling anything too crazy so it really wasnt worth the hassle.

Great info thanks.  That Ford 7.3 caught my eye too, but I want to stick with GM.  I even have a friend that manages a Ford dealership that could get me a great deal and he brought me anything I wanted to drive. I have an 02 Escalade right now and it is solid.  I have never had an engine and transmission that good.  It has 170k on it and I have only replaced things like an alternator, water pump, etc.  Doesn't even leak oil!  I tow right at GCWR in the mountains so I know I am running it hard.  I have to sell it so that I can get the AT4.  It is hard to see it go, but I need something that is ment for towing.  I have friends that had an F150 and he bought it used one year model off.  He had it for about 4 years and it was un the shop with head issues twice and he just traded it in because the transmission was having issues at 98k!  After how great the 6.0 in the Escalde is his issues threw up some red flags.  He doesn't even tow with it.  He traded for a new F250 and likes it.  I am not saying all Fords are like that but I don't want to risk spending $65k on something and it having issues like that before 100k miles.

I am on the fence about going back to gas. I have a 2020 duramax. all these issues, especially emissions related has me thinking. def heaters that go out and are back ordered for several weeks is ridiculous. 

all the extra costs associated with diesel, really are not worth it for my needs. 

problem is, a gas truck built the way i would want it, is a unicorn. it doesn't exist. 

• Like 1

For me the gas engine was the way to go I tow stuff but not a lot. Unless your towing really heavy stuff there's no need for a diesel. If the 6.6 gas is no powerful enough. Give gm some time they are supposed to be producing a 8.1 to compete with 7.3 Ford motor. I will say I get 15 average mpg Out of 6.6.

• 3 months later...

I went from a 2018 Yukon XL to my 2021 Silverado 3500.  I owned a diesel before (LBZ) and really wanted to get into a new one.  After realizing that my budget just would not accommodate a diesel with any options whatsoever, I took a hard look at what else was available. I have never liked Ford, and I knew too many people with bad Ram experiences.  I considered the Tundra, but ended up sticking with GM.  I was ultimately deciding between a 6.2 trailboss and the 3500 gasser.  Since the 3500 had leather, heated seats, Z71, etc, and payload wise would be better for pulling our camper, I went with it.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 6:09 AM, mrjulian416 said:

Guess you missed the TFL episodes with towing behind the 6.6 and 7.3. 11:50 compared to 8:42. 

I went the other way this time.  Been GM for years, but GM gave up on me with their lack of customizable trucks.  Ordered a 2022 F250 Lariat 7.3/4.30 for my next tow rig.  If GMC would throw a 10 speed (comparable to the 1500) in a 2500, and allow for at least a 4.10 rear), I'd probably come back.  Also, the Chevy is still the most hideous truck on the road.   

41 minutes ago, bshort said:

Guess you missed the TFL episodes with towing behind the 6.6 and 7.3. 11:50 compared to 8:42. 

I saw that episode before I bought.  I don't put much stock in it.  While I understand why they run that test the way they do, to remove driver variability (put it in tow mode, put your foot to the floor, steer), no one would actually do that in reality.  They uncovered a programming flaw with the transmission that for some reason wouldn't down shift when needed.  It bogged down to something like 25 mph before it downshifted.  Not good, but not representative of what any actual driver would do.

If I ever needed to tow up that hill at max rating, I'd lock out the top 2 gears... or at the very least, pump the gas when it bogs down like that and force a downshift.  If they had done either of those two things there would not have been a 3 minute difference.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 12:51 PM, levi collum said:

For me the gas engine was the way to go I tow stuff but not a lot. Unless your towing really heavy stuff there's no need for a diesel. If the 6.6 gas is no powerful enough. Give gm some time they are supposed to be producing a 8.1 to compete with 7.3 Ford motor. I will say I get 15 average mpg Out of 6.6.

As much as I'd love to see GM release a big block to compete with the 7.3 you have to remember it's also now been several years since there was even a RUMOR of that big block