3.0 Duramax cranks but won’t start

On 3/23/2021 at 6:52 PM, Dbersuch said:

Bought a 2021 Sierra with the 3.0 last week. Twice when trying to start the truck the starter engages and cranks the engine but it will not fire. Starter times out after a few seconds and stops cranking. Anyone else have this happen? 570 miles on the truck.

I purchased my 2021 crew cab LT 3.0 Duramax with the 10 speed. Love it. 12000+ now driven it over half way Cross the ys and back to Eastern NC. Drives great. 22 to 26 in town. 30 to 34 on the road. Drove from one side of nc to the western side. And back 702 miles 32 miles per gallon. Can drive 800 miles on one tank of fuel. It did what the dealers call an over extended start. 4 times in all these miles. So they increased the cranking time a couple extra seconds. Hasn't don't it since. Only used around 7 gallons od DEF in the 12,000 MILES. Sure beats any chevy truck I have owned. And when the E vehicles take over the truckers will still be burning diesel and so will I. E vehicles are a joke. They are not telling people the negatives of E vehicles. How is any one going to drive the ones already built and go on any extended trips. Charging times we kill you. And how are they going to build battery powered semi trucks to pull 80,000 lbs.or more? 

Just now, Charles hugh said:

I purchased my 2021 crew cab LT 3.0 Duramax with the 10 speed. Love it. 12000+ now driven it over half way Cross the ys and back to Eastern NC. Drives great. 22 to 26 in town. 30 to 34 on the road. Drove from one side of nc to the western side. And back 702 miles 32 miles per gallon. Can drive 800 miles on one tank of fuel. It did what the dealers call an over extended start. 4 times in all these miles. So they increased the cranking time a couple extra seconds. Hasn't don't it since. Only used around 7 gallons od DEF in the 12,000 MILES. Sure beats any chevy truck I have owned. And when the E vehicles take over the truckers will still be burning diesel and so will I. E vehicles are a joke. They are not telling people the negatives of E vehicles. How is any one going to drive the ones already built and go on any extended trips. Charging times we kill you. And how are they going to build battery powered semi trucks to pull 80,000 lbs.or more? 

I posted on fb a club for chevy 3.0 diesels look me up. 

• 1 month later...

Interestingly, it has been many months and several thousands of miles since mine has done the no start crank event.  I've not done anything to it nor taken it to the dealer for the ECM update unless it was done over the air, but I thought I read that they can't do an ECM update over the air.  Perhaps it's a warm weather issue as it seems like it hasn't done it since summer.  Only time will tell.  Still loving the hell out of this truck and 3.0 Duramax.   

18 hours ago, V8Chevy said:

Interestingly, it has been many months and several thousands of miles since mine has done the no start crank event.  I've not done anything to it nor taken it to the dealer for the ECM update unless it was done over the air, but I thought I read that they can't do an ECM update over the air.  Perhaps it's a warm weather issue as it seems like it hasn't done it since summer.  Only time will tell.  Still loving the hell out of this truck and 3.0 Duramax.   

I could have said the exact same thing... last week!

I had the no start issue at three or four times, all between 100 and just under 5,000 miles. But it hasn't done it for quite a while now. I was thinking it was either because of the cooler weather causing the delayed crank, or it was updated OTA.

But no, it happened again this past Friday at 9,200 miles.

I'll be taking it in to get the update ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 1:07 PM, V8Chevy said:

Why not bring it in to have the update?

On 2/14/2022 at 10:49 AM, bdallas said:

I could have said the exact same thing... last week!

I had the no start issue at three or four times, all between 100 and just under 5,000 miles. But it hasn't done it for quite a while now. I was thinking it was either because of the cooler weather causing the delayed crank, or it was updated OTA.

But no, it happened again this past Friday at 9,200 miles.

I'll be taking it in to get the update ASAP.

OTA updates are for audio unit only.

ECM update on these trucks requires dealer visit. 

Mines never done it.

Update applied around 17,000 miles.

Not trying to beat a dead horse but has anyone had any luck with this issue? I'm at 25,000 miles and this has happened about 5 times with no alarms, error codes etc .. Been to the dealership and they have no answer as of Monday. 

Edited by Kelly Gunn

2 hours ago, Kelly Gunn said:

Not trying to beat a dead horse but has anyone had any luck with this issue? I'm at 25,000 miles and this has happened about 5 times with no alarms, error codes etc .. Been to the dealership and they have no answer as of Monday. 

Have your dealership look up PIP5823B. You can find it on page 28 of this thread.

Not to discourage you guys. Bought my 21 Silverado 3.0 Dec 4, 2020. The following month had the crank no start issue. They did the inspection on the camshaft fly wheel issue. Came back good. Took the truck home. Since then it’s done it every other month. I had my ECM flashed on Nov. 17 2021 with the latest update. Still having the issue. Brought it to the dealer and they had yet another update with new fuel parameters and had my ecm reflagged again on 3/3/2022. Once again 3/5/2022 going to leave work crank no start issue has occurred again. My Silverado has been in for this issue 9 times. Towed 3 times. No idea what to do next. 

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone was looking for an update - i had the shim added months ago (July) and things have been good until yesterday. I just clicked over 15k miles and had another crank no start. In my scenario's it never starts on the second try. I was stranded for 45 minutes & it eventually started. It's at the dealership now

29 minutes ago, Claxy515 said:

You guys that are still having issues, you need to go to your dealership and have them update your ECM in reference to document - PIP5823B (Intermittent Extended Crank No Start)

I agree with that... just had mine done a couple weeks ago.

But the two posts above yours mention that they had to get towed, and it never starts on the second try... they might be dealing with something else.

Either way, reprogramming the ECM should be step one.