3.0 Duramax cranks but won’t start

On 11/15/2021 at 7:16 AM, bdallas said:

I've noticed that my truck now has a slight delay on start-up from when I push the button and I have not taken my truck in for the ECM update. 

I have had the no start issue three or four times and about three weeks ago, when this new update came out, I noticed my truck now has a slight, but noticeable, delay on start up.

Could they be pushing this update over-the-air?

Go into your menu on your dash and check to see when your system last updated. Would be nice to save people the trip to the dealer.

On 11/15/2021 at 10:16 AM, bdallas said:

I've noticed that my truck now has a slight delay on start-up from when I push the button and I have not taken my truck in for the ECM update. 

I have had the no start issue three or four times and about three weeks ago, when this new update came out, I noticed my truck now has a slight, but noticeable, delay on start up.

Could they be pushing this update over-the-air?

Part of 'slight delay' from pushing button until it begins to crank could be the glow plug cycle getting longer as the days get cooler.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2021 GMC 1500 Denali with 5500 miles. I hav e had the same issue 5x.  Does not set a code and always starts on the 2nd try.  No one seems to know anything amd said they have not heard of the issue.  I believe its a software issue that needs to be resolved and not mechanical issue.  Hopefully GM will figure it out

3 hours ago, Donald Yoakem said:

I have a 2021 GMC 1500 Denali with 5500 miles. I hav e had the same issue 5x.  Does not set a code and always starts on the 2nd try.  No one seems to know anything amd said they have not heard of the issue.  I believe its a software issue that needs to be resolved and not mechanical issue.  Hopefully GM will figure it out

GM issued a revision to the ECU software in early October that seems to be fixing this problem for most folks.   They apparently are not going to notify owners about the hew software and your dealer may not be aware of it either.   Tell your dealer that there is a revision.  You can find more info from earlier posts.

On 7/20/2021 at 12:37 PM, MNJoel said:

Anyone with this issue on higher mileage diesels (greater than 5k)?

Mine had three instances all under 1100miles. Currently at 5500 miles and no instances since 1100

I have a GMC SLT 3.0 Diesel 2021 that was manufactured in 12/20. Has 14,000 miles, I picked it up about a month ago used. I’ve put less than 400 miles on the truck and this just occurred to me yesterday evening. I’m reading they this form and hoping there is a solution at the end. 🤦‍♂️

On 12/14/2021 at 11:38 AM, Donald Yoakem said:

At the dealership today - Serv. Mgr. Found an Oct. 21, Svc

Bulletin to update the ECM.  They are doing this today and I will keep you all updated on the success

Please let us know, I’ll need to join this club if it’s a fix. 

Continuing to use the method below and have not had the issue since Aug.

I've been pressing the start button without foot on the brake and waiting 5 secs and then starting the truck. 

12 hours ago, WontStart said:

I got the October update a couple thousand miles ago. Was feeling confident that the software update fixed the issue but I’m currently stranded. Waiting for tow. 

Edited by GJR1212
deleted reply