3.0 Duramax cranks but won’t start

On 9/18/2021 at 5:17 PM, GJR1212 said:

I like my 3.0 GMC 4wd truck.  It gets great fuel mileage in normal rural driving.  It is averaging around 25 mpg.  It also tows my RV better than my old 5.3 Silverado or my 5.4 Expedition.   The 10 speed transmission is very smooth.   I have had one long start episode.   Unless you have to have a new SUV today, I would wait and get one next spring.   GM will eventually fix this problem, but right now they seem to be selling their gas trucks as fast as they can build them.   They do not seem to see the hiatus in 3.0 productions a serious problem- in my opinion.  My guess is the number of truck really seriously impacted with these long starts is a modest number.   Albeit, it is a big issues with those of us involved.   Discounts and Incentives do not seem to be what you would expect at a model year end either which is perhaps another reason to wait and get a 2022.

Thank you for the reply and advice! I sold my 2016 YukonXL, not in a hurry, but don’t know if I want to wait until 3.0l issue has been fixed. May end up getting 5.3l YukonXL AT4 instead.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:44 AM, Gruggas said:

Hey just wanted to update people. I got the shim installed on the cam position sensor and just had the same reoccurring problem. Shim is not the fix.

Just an update... received my complete refund on Monday, down payment, payments, payed off my loan.  When I went to the dealer to sign all the papers, they now had the cab removed to reassess the fix that did not help.  The first time they removed the front end, motor etc to add the shim and the new reluctor wheel; but then the truck would not start at all--it would just turn over.  The GM engineer had them remove the cab to figure out what happened--so basically the whole truck has been tore apart--sure glad I am out of that rascal.

• Like 1

I traded mine in on a new Tundra, first GM truck I’ve ever owned out of many trucks, and the experience only lasted 4 months! Thank god the current times didn’t make it an expensive mistake buying a GM, got what I paid for it on trade. There is no fuel mileage so good that overcomes reliability and not knowing if my truck will start or what will F$&# up next, Never again!

C20BE987-9C90-453B-A026-416FDCDA9B91.jpeg

Edited by ColoradoCub
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ColoradoCub said:

I traded mine in on a new Tundra, first GM truck I’ve ever owned out of many trucks, and the experience only lasted 4 months! Thank god the current times didn’t make it an expensive mistake buying a GM, got what I paid for it on trade. There is no fuel mileage so good that overcomes reliability and not knowing if my truck will start or what will F$&# up next, Never again!

C20BE987-9C90-453B-A026-416FDCDA9B91.jpeg

That is a good looking Tundra, by far the most reliable truck on the market. I took my 21' AT4 to CarMax and they offered me more than I paid for it, so it was an easy decision to dump it right away. Hopefully GM gets this problem figured out, they have a winning combo with the 3.0 Duramax and the 10 speed trans. But for now, it's not my problem anymore! 

• Like 1

Back from my 12 day trip and 2400 total miles. I used the delay start by pushing the button without foot on the brake and waiting a few seconds before starting. No long cranks/no starts on the trip. We'll see going forward.

It would be fitting that a cheap a$$ chip from China is the problem. First thing I do when ordering something online is check where it was manufactured. If from Coronaville, he11 no.

Still no word on a fix? I’m currently sitting in my truck waiting on a tow. When this first started happening it would always fire up on the second try. This is the second time in a row that it won’t start at all. Last time I unhooked the battery for a while and it worked after that. Gonna let GM mess with it this time. 

Edited by WontStart

Painful when I think about all the work I put into it that I'd have to repeat and probably never get the money out of it.

Roll-N-Lock

Line-X

Luverne running boards

Tint

Wheel well liners

Advanced wheel locks

Smartliner mats

Anybody close to end of factory warranty and get any kind of extension or agreement for this problem?

26 minutes ago, Dino76033 said:

Has anyone that does not disable the Auto Start/Stop feature ever had this happen at a stop?

I've read most of the post on this and I do not recall anyone having a long crank, no start from the auto start/stop.   The ones that do it most offend seem to get with the remote start as well as the dash button start.   If your foot is touching the gas or the floor mat is laying on the gas, you will get long crank, no start as well.