2021 Silverado 2.7 WT

18 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

http://www.engineprofessional.com/articles/EPQ415_12-20.pdf

Educate yourself. Ignorance in one thing. Willful ignorance is quite another and when you attack in willful ignorance and call me the the bad guy....yea....whole different game. Stupid. So yea... I'll get sideways and call it what it is. Put on the big boy pants. Next! 

You really should go and drive a 2.7, better yet own one, before dumping all over it, Grumpy. Any 2 bit keyboard warrior can post a pdf, but real experience with one might actually change your mind.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

You really should go and drive a 2.7, better yet own one, before dumping all over it, Grumpy. Any 2 bit keyboard warrior can post a pdf, but real experience with one might actually change your mind.

So you've OWNED a current Ecotec3 4.3? 

No?

And yet...well....you didn't even read the pdf did you?

You're still being willful.

People tell me arsenic taste like almonds. I like almonds. Don't care to eat arsenic. 

I don't want a half ton truck that will carry a one ton payload powered by a high strung inline 4.

I'm quite happy with equivalent performance of a very docile V6.

Look back a page at this I wrote:

You misunderstand sir. I think the 2.7 a crazy piece of engineering. But I also think that motors this size belong in compact cars or S-10's or Colorado's. 

Does that sound like I'm dumping all over the 2.7T?

Really?

Edited by Grumpy Bear

7 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

No?

People tell me arsenic taste like almonds. I like almonds. Don't care to eat arsenic. 

I don't want a half ton truck that will carry a one ton payload powered by a high strung inline 4.

your like the cricket that just wont go away ....Stop jamming your 4.3 down everyone's throat .   Go take a walk , take your metamucil and take a nap grump bear .  Jesus says stop pissing in everyone's thread about the high and almighty 4.3. 

Edited by f8l vnm
  • Like 4

I'm old too. I've had a ton of experience with just about every kind of pickup out there over the years.

I know what I want and what I need whenever I go buy a new truck and this time I wanted the 2.7T in a 2020 Silverado 1500.

I bought it about 16 months ago and I absolutely love this truck.

The little four banger is a good engine and pulls this truck around with ease.

I don't pull trailers anymore. Common sense would tell me if I was going to pull heavy trailers a lot not to buy a 4 cylinder anything.

However, I believe this little four cylinder would pull a small travel trailer with ease.

If you don't want one don't buy it but don't be pissing people off by putting it down just because you don't like it.

It's our choice. You drive yours and I'll drive mine.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

No?

Look back a page at this I wrote:

You misunderstand sir. I think the 2.7 a crazy piece of engineering. But I also think that motors this size belong in compact cars or S-10's or Colorado's. 

Does that sound like I'm dumping all over the 2.7T?

Really?

One can take your same argument and say "better to have a 5.3 or 6.2 instead of a v6 that's missing 1/4 of the engine, it works much less hard". At a certain point you need to look at the actual evidence (not just a pdf/whitepaper) on how these new engines are performing. The 2.7 is quicker, tows more, and uses less gas than the 4.3. It feels better off the line even in city driving due to all the torque coming on low in the rpms, just like a small diesel. It downshifts less frequently as well, some get annoyed by frequent downshifts in hilly terrain or whatever.

It's rated using the same standards as every other truck/engine. It's an incremental upgrade over the 4.3 (and GM says as much), but an upgrade none the less. Time will tell whether it is reliable, but keep an open mind. It's fine to have a preference, but your preference is just a preference so you should stop arguing like it's a proven fact.

Anyhow Grumps, I'm going to leave you to your 4.3 and move along.

• Like 1

I’m intrigued by the 2.7. Experience has taught me when it comes to GM and something new, wait awhile. Ifs there’s bugs they’ll get worked out. I’m remembering the same small boosted experiment at Ford. I think they’re getting it right now, finally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm old too. I've had a ton of experience with just about every kind of pickup out there over the years.
I know what I want and what I need whenever I go buy a new truck and this time I wanted the 2.7T in a 2020 Silverado 1500.
I bought it about 16 months ago and I absolutely love this truck.
The little four banger is a good engine and pulls this truck around with ease.
I don't pull trailers anymore. Common sense would tell me if I was going to pull heavy trailers a lot not to buy a 4 cylinder anything.
However, I believe this little four cylinder would pull a small travel trailer with ease.
If you don't want one don't buy it but don't be pissing people off by putting it down just because you don't like it.
It's our choice. You drive yours and I'll drive mine.

I don't even have the 2.7, but I am pretty impressed with what I see. And as others have stated, we will see in time how reliable it is. But turbo tech has come a long way in 20 years. It's also very beneficial at higher altitudes.

9 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

One can take your same argument and say "better to have a 5.3 or 6.2 instead of a v6 that's missing 1/4 of the engine, it works much less hard". At a certain point you need to look at the actual evidence (not just a pdf/whitepaper) on how these new engines are performing. The 2.7 is quicker, tows more, and uses less gas than the 4.3. It feels better off the line even in city driving due to all the torque coming on low in the rpms, just like a small diesel. It downshifts less frequently as well, some get annoyed by frequent downshifts in hilly terrain or whatever.

It's rated using the same standards as every other truck/engine. It's an incremental upgrade over the 4.3 (and GM says as much), but an upgrade none the less. Time will tell whether it is reliable, but keep an open mind. It's fine to have a preference, but your preference is just a preference so you should stop arguing like it's a proven fact.

Anyhow Grumps, I'm going to leave you to your 4.3 and move along.

How funny is that. I was having the same thought. You're basing your assessments between these two motors based on?????   Come on now....Yea... The publish data!!!!   

Except you disapprove when I do it and approve when you do. 

That's what chaps my backside. 

And may I quote you?  This is your ultimate proof:

"It's an incremental upgrade over the 4.3 (and GM says as much), but an upgrade none the less".

OUCH!! Last place I take my 'expertise from.

"You should stop arguing like it's a proven fact". And then you say, "Time will tell whether it is reliable"

:rollin:

What this boils down to is that I know exactly what I have and how it performs and find nothing in the data nor any ones personal experience to show the 2.7 to be superior.  I haven't met one yet that has actually produced better lifetime mileage that Pepper. (100,000 mile minimum) I produced that data. I didn't read about it in some GM commercial.  I doubt anyone ever will. Pretty two sound reasons for that too. 1.) There has never been a 2.7T installed in a T1 RCSB. A prime example of GM's one step forward six step backward process. 2.) Good luck finding a buyer willing to be as patient or as through as I to gather that data. 

Tell ya what.

Absolutely none of this matters in just few more years when GM pulls the plug on all ICE drivers.

(pun intended)

On 3/28/2021 at 11:13 AM, Descartian said:

I’m considering picking up a 2021 F150 2 door V8 just to mod it out and have fun. 

I just sold my 18 Sierra SLT CC back to Carvana for more than I paid for it over 2.5 years ago. Bought a ‘05 Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab standard box to get me by till I decide if I want a refreshed AT4, F150 Lariat power boost or Gen 3 Raptor. 

Ive only had the truck for a week but I absolutely love it. It’s still a truck but so easy to park etc. I have 2 kids (8 and 6) and if I didn’t need the crew cab I would totally get a regular cab standard box 4x4. It’s a shame Ford is the only company that makes a current Gen truck in that configuration. However I realize not a ton of people buy them. 

Edited by spizike9

12 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

What this boils down to is that I know exactly what I have and how it performs and find nothing in the data nor any ones personal experience to show the 2.7 to be superior.  I haven't met one yet that has actually produced better lifetime mileage that Pepper. (100,000 mile minimum) I produced that data.

Oh look, another lie by omission. "Pepper" is not a stock 4.3, it's modified in a way that it can no longer perform its factory rated tasks. Stop pretending. 

"There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers." - Proverbs 6:16-19

13 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

How funny is that. I was having the same thought. You're basing your assessments between these two motors based on?????   Come on now....Yea... The publish data!!!!   

Except you disapprove when I do it and approve when you do. 

That's what chaps my backside. 

And may I quote you?  This is your ultimate proof:

"It's an incremental upgrade over the 4.3 (and GM says as much), but an upgrade none the less".

OUCH!! Last place I take my 'expertise from.

"You should stop arguing like it's a proven fact". And then you say, "Time will tell whether it is reliable"

:rollin:

What this boils down to is that I know exactly what I have and how it performs and find nothing in the data nor any ones personal experience to show the 2.7 to be superior.  I haven't met one yet that has actually produced better lifetime mileage that Pepper. (100,000 mile minimum) I produced that data. I didn't read about it in some GM commercial.  I doubt anyone ever will. Pretty two sound reasons for that too. 1.) There has never been a 2.7T installed in a T1 RCSB. A prime example of GM's one step forward six step backward process. 2.) Good luck finding a buyer willing to be as patient or as through as I to gather that data. 

Tell ya what.

Absolutely none of this matters in just few more years when GM pulls the plug on all ICE drivers.

(pun intended)

There are certain FACTS about the 2.7 and 4.3; it out performs it in towing, 0 to 60, general driving (less downshifts required), and better MPG (except perhaps better MPG while towing). Those are facts. What is not a fact or not yet proven, is whether the 2.7 is more reliable than the 4.3, but for that only time will tell. I'm not sure why you're having trouble understanding my position.

It's one thing to remain open minded or neutral about an engine, based on specs and reviews, until you've driven it and/or owned it (which is where I am). It's a completely different thing to trash it or write it off based only on specs, without having driven it or owned it (which is where you are). There are not enough user reports to form an opinion the reliability of the engine.

Reviewers have towed with the 2.7 and actually preferred it over the 5.3 simply due to the abundance of torque down low. In a pure 0 to 60 the 5.3 will win, but most people live below 3000 rpms and the 2.7 makes more power than even the 5.3 in normal driving. Only when the 5.3 winds up does it make more power. Your 4.3 doesn't stand a chance.

My point is not that the 2.7 is the worlds greatest engine and that the 4.3 is crap (that's not my viewpoint at all), it's about being open minded and willing to give an engine the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Edited by the wanderer