On 3/26/2021 at 9:35 PM, Deweth5 said:

Hello all. Looking at a new Silverado's what is everyone's take on the 2.7 turbo? Thanks

Oh lord! Get ready for all the hate! Those of us that actually own one, including me, absolutely love the engine, but there is a crowd here that have never driven it that think it’s the devil. If you’re not towing too much, it’s a fantastic option. It has been rocksolid reliable for me. Just get ready for grumpybears horrible comments.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, 2020SilveradoCC said:

Oh lord! Get ready for all the hate! Those of us that actually own one, including me, absolutely love the engine, but there is a crowd here that have never driven it that think it’s the devil. If you’re not towing too much, it’s a fantastic option. It has been rocksolid reliable for me. Just get ready for grumpybears horrible comments.

Which I just don't understand.... I drove the 2.7 and 5.3 back to back and the 2.7 was more fun to drive and felt just as powerful.  The truck felt more nimble with the weight savings too.  The 6.2 is in a whole other league.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

Which I just don't understand.... I drove the 2.7 and 5.3 back to back and the 2.7 was more fun to drive and felt just as powerful.  The truck felt more nimble with the weight savings too.  The 6.2 is in a whole other league.

100% agree! My 2.7T is a ton of fun to drive, and I get substantially better MPGs than my old 5.3.

• Like 2

The 2.7 is a great little engine.  

On our Farm we have about 30 trucks and so far our two 2.7 have been flawless. We will be getting more as we exchange trucks out every 2 years . 

• Like 2

I own 5.3. I test drove a bunch of trucks. I didn't have anything to complain about the 2.7 turbo motor it seemed to do a good job. I just wanted more option. I couldn't get comfortable  with the custom truck, I needed telescoping wheel and power seat couldn't find that in custom, all I found were lt's with 5.3.

Edited by Adamace1

One year and 10K miles so far, no issues with mine at all. best 50 mile mpg average on the dash of 32.5 so far. Had two 5.3's before this and no need to go back. GMC Elevation has plenty of options with this motor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2021 at 5:04 PM, SSTODD said:

One year and 10K miles so far, no issues with mine at all. best 50 mile mpg average on the dash of 32.5 so far. Had two 5.3's before this and no need to go back. GMC Elevation has plenty of options with this motor.

This is going in the right direction. I drove truck with  2.7 4.3 and 5.3 engines. I  Bought one with the 4.3 only because its Better known for LONG Term Reliability..  The 2.7 does run closer in performance to the  5.3 and my opinion is it will last as well as the outers. Turbo engines Just scare me.. I am old  and in the back of my mind they will fail even thou i know its not true .

I would say get it  if its the MOST Fun for you to drive...    

Good Luck

Kind of excited to get my aFe intake today.  I'm not expecting anything crazy but hopefully a little better throttle response and maybe a more aggressive engine sound under load.  I'll post a video, I can't find much real-world info on it.

On 3/30/2021 at 12:09 PM, 2020SilveradoCC said:

I'll  be the first to admit that I'll never own another turbo engine truck after having a bad experience with my 2012 Ford F150 EcoTurd. Yes, it had the power, but gas mileage still sucked when towing (even a little popup camper) and at around 100K miles, started getting misfires and stuttering when merging on the highway and my gas mileage dropped to ~14mpg under normal driving. Changed the plugs which helped a little, but my mileage didn't improve and I still occasionally had significant loss of power when accelerating to merge into traffic. Scared the crap out of me when I'm running out of merging lane and an 18 wheeler is charging hard with no merging room left and you're sputtering to get up to speed. Now, is that the fault of the turbos? Maybe, maybe not. Is it because it was a crappy Ford? Probably. But I heap the blame on the turbo, just because I've never had a N/A engine do that.

Hopefully the Chevy turbo engines fare better over time and mileage. Would love to hear reports from people who've had their turbo 4 bangers over 100K miles.

Edited by BossTaco2020

24 minutes ago, BossTaco2020 said:

I'll  be the first to admit that I'll never own another turbo engine truck after having a bad experience with my 2012 Ford F150 EcoTurd. Yes, it had the power, but gas mileage still sucked when towing (even a little popup camper) and at around 100K miles, started getting misfires and stuttering when merging on the highway and my gas mileage dropped to ~14mpg under normal driving. Changed the plugs which helped a little, but my mileage didn't improve and I still occasionally had significant loss of power when accelerating to merge into traffic. Scared the crap out of me when I'm running out of merging lane and an 18 wheeler is charging hard with no merging room left and you're sputtering to get up to speed. Now, is that the fault of the turbos? Maybe, maybe not. Is it because it was a crappy Ford? Probably. But I heap the blame on the turbo, just because I've never had a N/A engine do that.

Hopefully the Chevy turbo engines fare better over time and mileage. Would love to hear reports from people who've had their turbo 4 bangers over 100K miles.

This is pretty common on the turbo Fords. They had/have a defective intercooler. 15+ year models haven’t had the same issues. Either way, this is a totally different engine.

Installed the AFE INTAKE today. I got it off eBay new with a coupon for about $100 off AFE’s price. Pretty straightforward install. I started and revved it a bit.  No lights (knock on wood). I’ll post a review after I do some driving today. 

88E17815-539B-4B87-A084-C49D480D3828.jpeg

611D7891-AE3F-43F7-B657-C7D87A770E5B.jpeg

6EE77C69-D772-4FBB-8843-A9223DBB57FC.jpeg

• Like 1

So I put about 20 miles on with the aFe... throttle response is definitely better, no question.  The transmission seems to have smoothed out, I have no idea why.  The engine sounds great!  Seriously when you get on it, the engine roars... but when light on the pedal the sound is exactly the same.  You can hear the intake and turbo more with the windows down but with windows up, not much difference, engine just sounds more aggressive.  There feels like a small gain at the low end and a little more pull at the top.

All in all, I think its worth it.  The overall smoother drivetrain, the engine sound and potential slight improvement in MPG are worth it to me!

• Like 2