Issue with GM

Looking for some advice here, I’ve never had the experience of having a vehicle sitting broken at a dealership for an extended period of time. I apologize for the long post.

I purchased my first GM product in December, a 2021 Silverado 1500 RST with the 3.0 Duramax. I only chose GM over Ford because I wanted to try this motor. Fast forward to the end of February, I get the “175 miles to 65MPH” screen with the engine light. I drop it at a dealership on February 26th (a Friday). Dealership gives me a loaner, but they only have Equinox’s and smaller for loaners (find out later it’s dealers discretion on what they have for loaners, and this is NOT the dealership I purchased the truck from, that dealership had an almost two week wait time to just look at the truck). Dealership calls me Monday and says the redundant module for the emissions system has failed, and they’re working on ordering a new one. Fast forward through the week and they can’t find one anywhere in North America. GM is telling them they won’t make just one module, it has to be a bulk order. The dealership escalates the part order to the highest priority in GM’s system, but they’re still being told no to one part being made by GM. The week of March 15th, I stop at the dealer for an update and they’re now being told even if GM wanted to make the part I need they now can’t because of the chip shortage. They give me the number to GM’s Customer Service line and tell me to contact them.

I contact GM’s Customer Service and explain the situation, get assigned a senior advisor and a case number. After many pointless phone calls with that person (I understand they have a system and process to follow but if you can’t do anything but keep calling the dealership and ask them for updates daily what help are you...) I finally get a supervisor on the phone, this phone call was on March 22nd. That individual goes through their process and asks what they can do for me and says GM will do something to compensate me for my situation and would something to propose to me by March 29th at the latest. March 29th comes and goes, so I call back. Now I have a new senior advisor assigned to my case and they’re  wanting to start over. I’m finally getting frustrated with their “process”, so I state what if I seek legal counsel to help them along. Their reply is if you do that we close this case and open a new one which will delay you more (anyone know if this is true???). I then state that I’m paying a lot of money for a truck to collect dust in a dealership parking lot, how about they start paying for it, “I’ll look into that”. Fast forward through a couple more pointless phone calls to yesterday, April 7th. The advisor calls and says they have no new updates, they’re going to switch to giving me one weekly update because they have no definitive timeline on my part appearing. I again ask for compensation as in pay last months payment and all the payments going forward that my truck sits broken, or give me a new truck. Advisor states when the truck is fixed and back in my possession that will be addressed. 🤬🤬🤬

Basically I’m looking for a couple answers, first, if I was to pursue legal action of some type will that actually close my current case and open a new one? Possibly further delaying my part arriving someday. Second, is it standard GM practice to wait to settle up until your vehicle is fixed or are they bs’ing me. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you. 

I'd start by calling a lemon lawyer in your area 1st. They can answer your questions. As far as the part getting there faster by calling a lawyer. GM's suppliers can't make the module if they don't have the parts to do it. It's the same situation they had when the strike and covid shut their parts suppliers down. People had the vehicles at the dealer waiting on parts to come in.

• Like 1

Lemon laws are state-by-state, so someone from a different state likely has different rules to deal with.

For me, if I had an equal loaner, fine and dandy if they have my truck for months - I'll put miles on the loaner instead.  But a loaner that isn't comparable, that's a much bigger issue, as I own a truck to do truck things.  The shortage may not be something in GM's control, but at the same time, you are the one without a brand new truck.

I would recommend contacting an attorney.

Silver, as said by others, consult a Lemon Law attorney. Your vehicle has sat for more than 30 days and if you want to get away from it, talk to the attorney. See Steve Lehto's Youtube channel and search for Lemon Law. He explains the ins and outs pretty good. Or....you could ask if the dealership could take one out of another vehicle. This is an out there idea I know but who knows. I have had my dealership take parts off existing models to repair mine but they were not electronic. The module may be tied to the Vin, preventing an exchange. If you want to keep the truck, your best bet will be to go with the flow for now. Heck get the part number and search the GM part sites to see if the part exists someplace. Sorry about your experience with GM. Hopefully they do make it right with you.

Does this apply to your truck? https://www.gm-trucks.com/new-tsb-issued-for-duramax-3-0l-lm2-and-6-6l-lp5-diesel-p206b-emission-exhaust-fluid-errors/

Talk to an attorney and see what can be done. The manufacturer will usually pay the attorney and the attorney will not take the case if he does not think you will not win. Ensure he specializes in Lemon Law!

Edited by Rocz3cqg

Wondering if all the time limits are out the window now because we are not in “normal” times. Pandemic/chip shortage.

Also could the owner locate one himself say at a salvage yard and have it installed until a new part is available? At he would have his truck. But then again it’s probably costly. Heck what’s not these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a sad thing but you are not the only one having problems. Friend was just telling me yesterday his GMC truck has been in the shop for at least 6 weeks waiting on parts.  At least the gave him another similar truck as a loaner albeit a used one.  Don't know exactly what part they need for his.

3 hours ago, Bob2C said:

Wondering if all the time limits are out the window now because we are not in “normal” times. Pandemic/chip shortage.

Also could the owner locate one himself say at a salvage yard and have it installed until a new part is available? At he would have his truck. But then again it’s probably costly. Heck what’s not these days.

I would said no because the module if it is a used module might be vin dependent and not reprogrammable like a new one. A used part will probably void the warranty . But if the owner has the diagnostic equipment and access to GM's calibration data, I guess they could give it a go.

Edited by Rocz3cqg

You would think they would take the part off one of their trucks with GMs blessing. Then they can be compensated by GM. At the least they should give you a truck to drive in the mean time.

The idea of taking parts of existing inventory doesn't make much sense.  A dealer has sunk costs into those vehicles, paying interest on them sitting there, along with a lack of opportunity to make money on those vehicles while awaiting parts.  Unless GM would compensate them for that (doubtful) it would be against the dealership's best interest to do that.

The idea of taking parts of existing inventory doesn't make much sense.  A dealer has sunk costs into those vehicles, paying interest on them sitting there, along with a lack of opportunity to make money on those vehicles while awaiting parts.  Unless GM would compensate them for that (doubtful) it would be against the dealership's best interest to do that.

This is why I stayed with one dealer for 20 years cars and trucks. GMC and Hyundai same dealer. Even complain to the manufacturer ( Hyundai )about a problem got it resolved. Maybe GM has little choice. That would be fine with me as long as a vehicle was supplied until a fix was made. I’ll take the vette.[emoji3]

• Like 1

you shouldnt have to make car payments on a vehicle you dont have.....makes no sense, i know you have to for your personal credit and all but thats like financing a house but you cant move in.....whats the point

contact an attorney yesterday!......i am reasonable person but ridiculous stuff like this that makes no sense that i have to pay for i would be really pissed doing everything in my power to get some peeps off their butts and do something.....truck is my living a car wouldnt do at all