ShopChevyParts shipping prices???

Just bought a new GMC and went to shopchevyparts for the first time after seeing some talk about it on this forum. Really liked the factory rubber floor mats and seemed like great prices. For a pair of front and the 2nd row they are charging $82 for shipping?

Is this how they make up for what appear to be lower prices on parts than the dealer?

Yes they were a little cheaper overall after comparing to GMC but wow those shipping prices were high.

Also tried GM parts direct, they wanted $310 for shipping....just laughable. Is there something I'm missing?

Edited by Dlarimer57

Once I bought a part for my Impala and picked it up at the dealer.  Apparently, some of the dealers also sell merchandise out of the back door (the internet).  I was shopping and realized that one of the sellers was a dealer right next to me.  It wasn’t obvious because they used a slightly different name.  So, I called him up and asked if they’d give me that price if I came in and bought it.  No can do, he says.  However, he did say I could buy it online and when I get to the shipping section, I can select to pick it up.  Worked like a charm.  Not only did I get a discounted price, I didn’t have to pay shipping and was sure I got a genuine GM part.

On 5/24/2021 at 8:15 PM, Dlarimer57 said:

Just bought a new GMC and went to shopchevyparts for the first time after seeing some talk about it on this forum. Really liked the factory rubber floor mats and seemed like great prices. For a pair of front and the 2nd row they are charging $82 for shipping?

Is this how they make up for what appear to be lower prices on parts than the dealer?

Yes they were a little cheaper overall after comparing to GMC but wow those shipping prices were high.

Also tried GM parts direct, they wanted $310 for shipping....just laughable. Is there something I'm missing?

Welcome to the site.

If they are being shipped with UPS Ground, or Fed Ex ground, they are considered oversized boxes, that is where the price comes from. The dealer might be making a few bucks on the shipping, but not a lot.

The parcel carriers changed dimensions a few years back, thinking to make up for lost revenue due to Amazon delivering their own packages now.

You can go to UPS.com and get a price, just need the two zip codes, weight, boxes, and dimensions. 

Their prices are generally cheaper than a dealership, but often times the cost of shipping them makes them more expensive than purchasing from a dealer and picking it up.  Its a catch .22

There are a ton of these GM parts shops online.  Check several, I've found that I might check a dozen and the shipping will vary wildly.  I'm guessing due to proximity, but once I found a couple with the lower shipping prices to my location, I just buy from those.

It cost money for them to hire employees to run a shipping dept so in addition to the actual cost of shipping, they have to pay them so that is figured into their shipping rates.  But as mentioned above, shipping rates from dimensional weight. A package over certain size automatically jumps to the 25lb weigh + actual weight.  So a set of floor mats would be oversize and subject to dimensional weight rates.

GM sells accessories thru their own website with delivery to a dealer.

Never hurts to compare.

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/?evar25=ch_global nav_owners

GMC has a site too.

https://accessories.gmc.com/?evar25=gmc_global nav

Both can be accessed thru the 'owners' tab found from the link to the division.

• 4 months later...

They charge what the charge because they can.  Friend works at a local shipping shop and she used to work part time because the business was slow. In the last 1-2 yrs she is working full time as business has gone wild.  UPS/Fedex and even postal rates have gone way up. THE USPS is claiming loses and going to raise rates again soon.  Increased business means increased costs such as wages, overtime, equipment, fuel etc. Its not like many other business where volume means you get discounts, with logistics, more volume = more cost of doing business.  It used to be her and the owner could handle it. Now they have about dozen part time. Even UPS has expanded and doubled the drivers in this small market.  The shipping business has gone wild in the last 2 yrs.  Not to mention, UPS, Fedex lose money on residential deliveries so they raise the price.  For instance my Fedex driver often comments to me that he has to drive 50 miles round trip to deliver one small package in the rural area, while the mailman drives the route everyday.  He said the drivers all complain about it.

Not to mention all the big box stores offering free shipping!. In order for them to do that, they get negotiate cost concessions  from UPS/FedEx who makes up the loss on the residential customers. 

Edited by elcamino

It depends on what you order from them. As mentioned earlier the floor mates are oversized and I believe they ship from the east coast somewhere. So for me living in Washington the total cost including shipping is more than what I would pay at the dealership. However when I bought the “factory” sub from them it was cheaper with shipping than going to the dealership. 

56 minutes ago, dgstarr63 said:

I live in Portland, Oregon and wonder if anyone knows of a GM dealer in my area that has online parts prices? The nearest dealer that I have found so far is in 'Arizona, too far to drive to.

Find a price on an item from any of the online dealers, then take it to your local dealer to see if they will match it.

Local Chevy dealer in Auburn works on prices for me if I provide proof (price I found online).

22 hours ago, dgstarr63 said:

My local dealer wont match online prices.

I get them to quote anyway.

Be sure to factor in shipping.

Sometimes they are cheaper.

Sometimes they are close enough... 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

It's awesome that you found some great deals on factory rubber floor mats at ShopChevyParts. But yeah, those shipping prices can sometimes throw you for a loop. It's not uncommon for companies to adjust the shipping fees when the product prices seem lower. It's a bit of a balancing act, I guess.On the bright side, you're not alone in the search for reasonable shipping rates. If you ever need to ship car parts or anything else, you might want to explore some of the best car shipping companies at this link https://www.a1autotransport.com/best-car-shipping-companies/. It could save you some bucks in the long run!

Edited by JasonAnderson