No Shift Indicator on Cluster

Hey guys, need some serious help... I was revving my engine on my 2008 Silverado and heard what sounded like a fuse popping from the dash and now my shift indicator doesn't show which gear I'm in and my reverse lights do not illuminate. My odometer works fine, and the gears are illuminated, just not the square that highlights which gear I'm in. It's not even highlighting the P when in Park. It's just gone. The truck cranks and drives fine other than that, you just have to feel for which gear you're in. I've just changed out the Neutral Safety Back-Up Switch on the side of the transmission thinking that was the culprit, but no change. I've gone over every fuse and relay. Something else odd is that there's a loud relay-like clicking sound coming from my steering column now when I press the brake, which wasn't even noticeable prior. I called a cluster repair service to see if that maybe the problem and they said my cluster is fine, that it's my shift indicator sensor. I have no idea what that means, as I can't find any part on my truck named that, unless he was referring to the NSBU sensor. Any help would GREATLY be appreciated. I'm losing my mind over this.

Well I finally figured it out! Even though my check engine light wasn't on I decided to hook up a diablo tuner I bought for my wife's suburban to see if there were any codes. I was able to see a logged code: P1818 - Transmission Fluid Pressure Valve Position Switch-Drive Without Drive Ratio. It appears that the truck enabled a some sort of safety to protect the transmission while I was revving it. After clearing the code my shift indicator returned, my reverse lights now work, and the clicking in my steering column when pressing the brake has disappeared. I took it for a test drive and all is well!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thats cools you figured it out.  I had nothing to offer. I was going to ask why you were out reving the engine, but decided not to.  In my mind I pictured someone reving the motor to 4900 for a few minutes then letting off, doing that over and over again, pissing the neighbors off.  In my head it was Karma, but I am glad that isnt what happened.

Haha, definitely not what was happening. This is my farm truck and it doesn't get used too much. I cranked it up (which it barely did because of sitting for so long), added some Liqui-Moly Jectron to the tank to clean the injectors and was trying to burn through it real quick and send more juice to the battery at the same time. 

Edited by delta task1