IOR Steering Wheel Control Retrofits are here!

11 minutes ago, Goobax said:

So I just noticed, after months of doing the swap, that OEM fogs don’t work. These were added after I purchased the truck so I’m guessing I screwed up by not letting WAMS know when they programmed the cluster? Or, do I need to chase wires for a few hours under the hood and see if something else is wrong? 

hoping just a loose connector somewhere but I never have that good of luck 

I think you're okay with the cluster, as looking at the attached wiring diagram, it seems that the fog lights only communicate with the BCM (Body Control Module).

Fog_Lights_T3U.png

Are the lights not coming on or is just the indicator on the cluster not coming on? Apparently some dealers have issues programming them properly so the lights will come on but the indicator in the cluster doesn't light up. Were they factory fogs? I added GM Accessory fogs and they wire to the BCM, to the fuse box under the hood and to the lights.

12 hours ago, GETGONE said:

Are the lights not coming on or is just the indicator on the cluster not coming on? Apparently some dealers have issues programming them properly so the lights will come on but the indicator in the cluster doesn't light up. Were they factory fogs? I added GM Accessory fogs and they wire to the BCM, to the fuse box under the hood and to the lights.

Factory fogs, just added after I got the truck and they were dealer installed.

They used to come on and the indicator on the cluster worked too. I rarely encounter fog so I don’t use often. Just so happened to need them one day and noticed after the swap that nothing worked (lights never came on and no indicator either). Wonder if it’s just a bad or disconnected relay or something then

Edited by Goobax

I have a 2020 International CV 5500 tagged 4500 Silverado HD (same tk, different grill)  base model and would like to add radio / phone controls in the steering wheel. And suggestions and part/ harness information on this would be appreciated.

On 5/15/2022 at 8:59 AM, LRollman said:

I have a 2020 International CV 5500 tagged 4500 Silverado HD (same tk, different grill)  base model and would like to add radio / phone controls in the steering wheel. And suggestions and part/ harness information on this would be appreciated.

Hey LRollman.  I'm afraid that we're not going to have much information to offer you.

I looked at the GM upfitter site and found the electrical diagram for your truck (well, the 4500 Silverado HD) here:

https://www.gmupfitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/19_silverado_4500_5500_6500_body_builder_010819.pdf

I did a search for the UK3 code for the steering wheel controls, and it seems somewhat similar to our 1500 Silverados.  Page 103 (section 7-3) shows that the S70R Right Steering Wheel Controls button pin 3 connects to the Instrument Cluster on pin 20.

Beyond this, you are going to probably have to contact WAMS ( https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/ ) to see if they have a cluster upgrade that would work for your truck.  No idea about harnesses or buttons.  We were fortunate that our trucks were pre-wired, and we only had to add the new steering wheel with the buttons, a wire to connect the LIN bus from the buttons to the instrument panel, and a custom replacement instrument panel which works with that LIN bus.

Good luck!

Well, as an update to my status on the Steering Wheel swap, I'm still dead in the water as https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ has totally ghosted me!

I ordered on March 29th and they quickly replied about the VIN mismatch, and I replied back with the go ahead, and they entered the order for part number 84946341 on March 30th.  Since then, the order status has been "In Progress" and I have received no updates.  After a few weeks, I started trying to get a status update.  I've opened up help desk tickets by sending an email to customer service, and then they just close without replying to.  I have left voice mails and they don't respond.  I've entered status requests through the order, and hear nothing.

I should have read the reviews before ordering, as BBB has a list of similar complaints:

https://www.bbb.org/us/nc/winston-salem/profile/auto-parts/gm-parts-direct-0503-1000017080/complaints

and on their own support forum:

https://flowauto.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/forums/43000114728/recent

It really irks me that customdriver ordered this same part on April 14th (two weeks after I ordered mine) from the same place and received his in a week!  What the heck is up with that?

Anyways, I'm now trying to cancel the order, and have still not heard a response after two days.  They haven't charged my card yet, which is good, but I'm apprehensive about ordering elsewhere reading that they often ship after the order has been cancelled and then charge a 35 percent restocking fee!

So, I have the new gauge console and the LIN bus wire, but can't get the stupid steering wheel.  Ugh.

Edited by Railroad_Jim

Hello, i just swapped out my steering wheel for a leather one and now my cruise control isn't turning on, i didn't do the cluster swap yet. Anyone have this problem after swapping out? Thanks for any help. Will try to take apart and see if anything isn't plugged in.

On 5/20/2022 at 8:58 AM, Railroad_Jim said:

Well, as an update to my status on the Steering Wheel swap, I'm still dead in the water as https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ has totally ghosted me!

I ordered on March 29th and they quickly replied about the VIN mismatch, and I replied back with the go ahead, and they entered the order for part number 84946341 on March 30th.  Since then, the order status has been "In Progress" and I have received no updates.  After a few weeks, I started trying to get a status update.  I've opened up help desk tickets by sending an email to customer service, and then they just close without replying to.  I have left voice mails and they don't respond.  I've entered status requests through the order, and hear nothing.

I should have read the reviews before ordering, as BBB has a list of similar complaints:

https://www.bbb.org/us/nc/winston-salem/profile/auto-parts/gm-parts-direct-0503-1000017080/complaints

and on their own support forum:

https://flowauto.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/forums/43000114728/recent

It really irks me that customdriver ordered this same part on April 14th (two weeks after I ordered mine) from the same place and received his in a week!  What the heck is up with that?

Anyways, I'm now trying to cancel the order, and have still not heard a response after two days.  They haven't charged my card yet, which is good, but I'm apprehensive about ordering elsewhere reading that they often ship after the order has been cancelled and then charge a 35 percent restocking fee!

So, I have the new gauge console and the LIN bus wire, but can't get the stupid steering wheel.  Ugh.

Well, after almost two months, GM Parts Direct actually responded to me, with my order cancellation request and cancelled my order.  Phew!  Never going to try to order anything from them again!

I just ordered part number 84946350 from Rock Auto and this part is supposed to be the Black, Leather, non-High Country wheel without heat or collision alert.  I wanted to get the heated wheel with hopes of making it work, but I'll be happy to get a wheel without the heat at this point....

On 5/26/2022 at 9:54 AM, Railroad_Jim said:

Well, after almost two months, GM Parts Direct actually responded to me, with my order cancellation request and cancelled my order.  Phew!  Never going to try to order anything from them again!

I just ordered part number 84946350 from Rock Auto and this part is supposed to be the Black, Leather, non-High Country wheel without heat or collision alert.  I wanted to get the heated wheel with hopes of making it work, but I'll be happy to get a wheel without the heat at this point....

Well, where GM Parts Direct failed me, Rock Auto has delivered.  I received my new steering wheel in under a week, even with the Memorial Day holiday.

I hope to find some time this evening to do the installation.  I already have the truck stashed in the garage and have disconnected the negative terminal of the battery.  I'm so excited to finally be able to do this modification!

I think I'll leave the protective covering on the wheel as I'm installing everything, to keep from scuffing/scratching the leather.

new_steering_wheel.jpg

• Like 2

Okay, I managed to get everything apart last night, before running out of time and energy at midnight.

Yes, I had to use my big impact gun on the T-50 bolt.  I tried my 18V ryobi impact, and then just a long ratchet, but I decided to get the big electric impact out and it broke it loose right away.  I was a bit concerned as my T-50 bit wasn't impact rated, but nothing broke.  Oddly, when I removed the bolt, it was covered with blue thread locker, which was somehow still wet!

The dash wasn't too hard to get apart, and after figuring out how to snap apart the plastic around the steering wheel, I was able to remove the top part of that trim, which was connected via the rubber flap to the gauge front trim.

I now need to add the LIN bus wire to the two connectors and am not sure how to do that.  Any tips? 

It looks like the yellow clockspring connector has a black plastic bar which lifts up a bit.  Do I just lift that and slide the new pin in?  

And what about the odd connector that goes into the gauge cluster?  Is there a pin/block to raise on that connector too?

I've attached a picture of both connectors, and the diagrams from the gmupfitter wiring diagram.

I need to get this together tonight, as I plan on taking my truck on a 600+ mile trip this weekend.

steering_wheel_controls_connectors.png

connectors.png

I was worried enough about plugging in the Harness Doctor connector correctly that I double checked with the company by telephone and got a quick and informative response. I also triple checked my plug ins before putting everything back together because I dreaded having to tear the whole mess apart over a wrong plug in. My efforts, and the excellent help from Harness Doctor, resulted in perfect function the first time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Railroad_Jim said:

Okay, I managed to get everything apart last night, before running out of time and energy at midnight.

Yes, I had to use my big impact gun on the T-50 bolt.  I tried my 18V ryobi impact, and then just a long ratchet, but I decided to get the big electric impact out and it broke it loose right away.  I was a bit concerned as my T-50 bit wasn't impact rated, but nothing broke.  Oddly, when I removed the bolt, it was covered with blue thread locker, which was somehow still wet!

The dash wasn't too hard to get apart, and after figuring out how to snap apart the plastic around the steering wheel, I was able to remove the top part of that trim, which was connected via the rubber flap to the gauge front trim.

I now need to add the LIN bus wire to the two connectors and am not sure how to do that.  Any tips? 

It looks like the yellow clockspring connector has a black plastic bar which lifts up a bit.  Do I just lift that and slide the new pin in?  

And what about the odd connector that goes into the gauge cluster?  Is there a pin/block to raise on that connector too?

I've attached a picture of both connectors, and the diagrams from the gmupfitter wiring diagram.

I need to get this together tonight, as I plan on taking my truck on a 600+ mile trip this weekend.

steering_wheel_controls_connectors.png

connectors.png

If you got the harness from Harness Dr, it comes with very detailed and easy to follow instructions.  

If you didn't, I don't think it's right for someone to send information from their instructions/research and post it here...just my 2 cents as someone trying to support a small business. 

6 minutes ago, ls5454ss said:

If you got the harness from Harness Dr, it comes with very detailed and easy to follow instructions.  

If you didn't, I don't think it's right for someone to send information from their instructions/research and post it here...just my 2 cents as someone trying to support a small business. 

Yes, I purchased the wire from Harness Dr back on March 21.  

When I opened the ziplock bag last night, there was only the wire with the labeled tags on which position to put the wire ends into which connectors.  I just was looking for instructions on how to open up the connectors to get the wires in.

Were there other instructions that I removed when I first got the wire?

3 minutes ago, Railroad_Jim said:

Yes, I purchased the wire from Harness Dr back on March 21.  

When I opened the ziplock bag last night, there was only the wire with the labeled tags on which position to put the wire ends into which connectors.  I just was looking for instructions on how to open up the connectors to get the wires in.

Were there other instructions that I removed when I first got the wire?

Nope - it's weird.  Scan the QR code on the bag (or box, I forget).  That'll give you the link to the instructions.  DM me if it doesn't work...or he'll email it to you if you ask.  Either or. I actually emailed him for them because I didn't know the QR code was for the instructions either... 

• Like 1

Just now, ls5454ss said:

Nope - it's weird.  Scan the QR code on the bag (or box, I forget).  That'll give you the link to the instructions.  DM me if it doesn't work...or he'll email it to you if you ask.  Either or. I actually emailed him for them because I didn't know the QR code was for the instructions either... 

Thanks for the info about the QR code.  I opened up a messenger session on his website asking him about instructions.  Hopefully I'll get a response soon.