IOR Steering Wheel Control Retrofits are here!

17 hours ago, Stand By said:

Heater won't make a difference on the other performance  A lot of guys, including me, ordered through Rock Auto. 

I had no idea these were available on Rock Auto and they're significantly cheaper than eBay options actually. Before I actually buy - would this one work?

ACDELCO 84946361 {#84858693} GM Original Equipment? I see it has the buttons, paddles and matches my interior. 

Appreciate the help - been wanting to do this for about a year already. I have the wiring harness adapter but need the steering wheel then I'll buy the dash cluster.

Thanks!

On 10/8/2021 at 4:58 PM, c0ld29 said:

Yeah, through Android auto or carplay it would work, but I hate having to always connect a wire and the android auto connection isn't super reliable either. 

When NOT in Android auto or car play I can now press the button and my phone listens for my commands. By default it didn't know what to do until I set it up to always use Google assistant.

My post may have been worded poorly. 

does anyone know what settings in a iPhone to have the voice command button to work when NOT in Apple Car Play?  Mine works when connected to Apple Car Play, but I only use that if I need navigation. 

Also can anyone see media or radio info on the info screen?

Edited by Dthissen

On 9/28/2021 at 11:47 AM, GTPprix said:

A few people have expressed interest in a lower cost method to do this upgrade. While I think if you're going to go through all of this the real upgrade is the Denali / High Country variants we have come up with a more economical solution as well if thats the route you want to go :)

https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/product/2019-2022-t1-ior-cluster-upgrade/

I really like this option, as even though I'm a super-gEEk, I prefer the analog gauges up top, instead of the digital version of the fancier gauge cluster.   I just want some functional steering wheel radio control buttons!

And at the lower price, it may discourage me from building a LIN to CAN-bus translator device that I was investigating to make the radio buttons work with my existing gauge cluster.  Although well within my skill-set, my project accomplishment timeline is usually rather lengthy, and it would probably be well over a year before I got it working....

On 3/12/2022 at 11:14 AM, loooiz said:

I had no idea these were available on Rock Auto and they're significantly cheaper than eBay options actually. Before I actually buy - would this one work?

ACDELCO 84946361 {#84858693} GM Original Equipment? I see it has the buttons, paddles and matches my interior. 

Appreciate the help - been wanting to do this for about a year already. I have the wiring harness adapter but need the steering wheel then I'll buy the dash cluster.

Thanks!

It sure looks like that one will work electrically.  It appears to be the foam steering wheel, instead of the leather wrapped version, and it's for the very dark atmosphere color interior.

Personally, I'm looking at the black, leather wrapped, non-heated versions 84946349 or 84813359, which appear to be the same, with the 84813359 being the older model.  I'm not sure if that means I should order the 84813359 since I have a 2020 Custom Trail Boss which I got in early 2020, or if the newer wheel just supersedes the older model?

update1: I also see that there is part number 84813360 which Rock Auto describes as:

USED ON VEHS BUILT BEFORE 17NOV20); RST Trim Package (GFC), LT Trim Package (GF3), TRAIL BOSS LT Trim Package (GF4), Cruise Control (K34), Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel (NP5), Steering Wheel Accessory Controls (UK3), Interior Trim Color (4AA); Exc. Steering Wheel w/ Automatic Heat (KI3), Forward Collision Alert (UEU); 1st Design

And that seems to match what I'm looking for: Black, Trim color 4AA, no heater or collision alert.

I tried to buy the 84946349 and 84813359 wheels on Rock Auto, and when I added the first one to the cart, it suddenly became unavailable.  It was so odd.  I tried the second wheel and the same thing happened too.  Anyone have the 84813360 wheel?  

update2: I tried adding the 84813360 wheel to the cart on Rock Auto and it too disappeared, saying that it was unavailable.  Dang.  I guess that I need to order from gmpartsdirect or something.

Edited by Railroad_Jim
Added more info again

I bought mine and after I paid, it disappeared from stick. Still showed up. Didn't say not available afterwords, stated a longer delivery time so I imagine it's reflecting your order and then they have to restock it.

I found part #84946341 on gmpartsdirect.com that looks like it will work. I have a 2019 Custom. I don't really care about heat, but I don't see a black leather one without heat.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-f-wheel-replaces-part-number-84778977-84946341?c=Zz1zdGVlcmluZyZzPXN0ZWVyaW5nLXdoZWVsLWFuZC10cmltJmw9MzImbj1Bc3NlbWJsaWVzIFBhZ2UmYT1jaGV2cm9sZXQmbz1zaWx2ZXJhZG8tMTUwMCZ5PTIwMTkmdD1sdHomZT01LTNsLXY4LWdhcw%3D%3D

26 minutes ago, customdriver said:

What does the clock spring do? I see some people replacing it when they do a steering wheel swap.

My understanding is that the clock spring is the wiring connection mechanism that passes signal wires between the stationary chassis and the rotating steering wheel.  For this swap, the clock spring is supposed to be fine, but we need to add another wire from it to bring the LIN bus line to the gauge cluster, in order to make the radio buttons function.

I have my new wheel and wire from harness dr now and I’m going to place the order for the gauge cluster tomorrow. Can anyone tell me if I can install the wheel and extra wire ahead of replacing the gauge cluster without experiencing any I’ll effects? I know I won’t gain controls but after spending seven years with a leather wheel I can’t wait to get rid of the plastic wheel on my custom.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, customdriver said:

I found part #84946341 on gmpartsdirect.com that looks like it will work. I have a 2019 Custom. I don't really care about heat, but I don't see a black leather one without heat.

The homework that I did, shows that there are a few black, leather wrapped steering wheels without the heated option.  Here are the part numbers and a small description:

• 84813359 Original, pre-Nov 2020 version.  (High Country Trim)
  • 84946349 Newer version that supersedes the 84813359  (High Country Trim)
  • 84646077 Original, pre-Nov 2020 version.  Without High Country Trim
  • 84813360 Newer version, replacing 84646077.  Without High Country Trim
  • 84946350 Even newer version? Used on vehicles built on/after Nov 17, 2020. (Replaces 84813360)  Without High Country Trim

I think that the wheels featuring the High Country Trim have a bronze trim plate, instead of the silver that I want for my 2020 Custom Trail Boss.

I'm not having much luck ordering one of the non-High Country steering wheels yet though.  They all disappeared from my cart when I tried ordering from Rock Auto.  I then ordered the 84813360 from gmpartsstore.com (Use the code MINUS5 to get five percent off) and the order was cancelled after a few days, as they said that that cannot find the wheel anywhere to fulfill the order.  So last night I tried ordering the 84946350 wheel from them too.  We'll see if that also gets cancelled....

I did order the connection wire from harness doctor, and it shipped, so that's a good sign.  I contacted WAMS through their website form a few days ago, and haven't heard anything from them yet.  I was thinking about the cheaper option here:  https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/product/2019-2022-t1-ior-cluster-upgrade/ but didn't see an option for the 2020 model with NO START/STOP.  My Custom Trail Boss with the 5.3 does not have START/STOP (thankfully!) or keyless ignition for that matter.  I sort of like having analog gauges up top, and I definitely like saving $180 over the other gauges.