IOR Steering Wheel Control Retrofits are here!

8 hours ago, GTPprix said:

A few people have expressed interest in a lower cost method to do this upgrade. While I think if you're going to go through all of this the real upgrade is the Denali / High Country variants we have come up with a more economical solution as well if thats the route you want to go :)

https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/product/2019-2022-t1-ior-cluster-upgrade/

Now we're talking! Now just waiting on my longevity check next month.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone else as dumb as me I thought people were saying the voice button was working through the radio like an LT or higher. So when I installed mine I was a little disappointed when I pressed the button and it didn't do anything (except in Android auto) but still much better than before. 

However, I found out it does try to work through a connected Bluetooth device. My android phone was (quietly) giving me the option of Android auto, alexa, or Bixby when the button was pressed so I didn't notice. Now that I selected "always open with Google assistant" on my phone when I press the voice button the radio pauses and the phone listens, even when not in Android auto. I'm much happier now! I have a feeling the iPhone people had it work right away through siri. 

So long story short. If you do this make sure to set up your phone properly for the full experience!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, c0ld29 said:

For anyone else as dumb as me I thought people were saying the voice button was working through the radio like an LT or higher. So when I installed mine I was a little disappointed when I pressed the button and it didn't do anything (except in Android auto) but still much better than before. 

However, I found out it does try to work through a connected Bluetooth device. My android phone was (quietly) giving me the option of Android auto, alexa, or Bixby when the button was pressed so I didn't notice. Now that I selected "always open with Google assistant" on my phone when I press the voice button the radio pauses and the phone listens, even when not in Android auto. I'm much happier now! I have a feeling the iPhone people had it work right away through siri. 

So long story short. If you do this make sure to set up your phone properly for the full experience!

Hmmm.....I'm an Apple person so maybe my experience doesn't apply but I can make and receive calls with the phone buttons on my steering wheel when my Iphone is connected to Carplay through my truck's USB port.  I've had the GM steering wheel buttons on other vehicles and found I really missed them on the 2020 Silverado Custom that I bought at a fantastic price prior to the chip shortages.  I've added Katskins leather heated seats, the GM leather covered steering wheel, a front camera and the High Country instrument cluster. By doing this, I've attained all of the up model features I wanted on my Custom at a much better price than that dictated by the up model packages. I also prefer the looks of the Custom over most of the chrome filled up models. 

New Truck.jpg

New Instruments.jpg

Edited by Mac-427

7 hours ago, Mac-427 said:

Hmmm.....I'm an Apple person so maybe my experience doesn't apply but I can make and receive calls with the phone buttons on my steering wheel when my Iphone is connected to Carplay through my truck's USB port.  I've had the GM steering wheel buttons on other vehicles and found I really missed them on the 2020 Silverado Custom that I bought at a fantastic price prior to the chip shortages.  I've added Katskins leather heated seats, the GM leather covered steering wheel, a front camera and the High Country instrument cluster. By doing this, I've attained all of the up model features I wanted on my Custom at a much better price than that dictated by the up model packages. I also prefer the looks of the Custom over most of the chrome filled up models. 

New Truck.jpg

New Instruments.jpg

Yeah, through Android auto or carplay it would work, but I hate having to always connect a wire and the android auto connection isn't super reliable either. 

When NOT in Android auto or car play I can now press the button and my phone listens for my commands. By default it didn't know what to do until I set it up to always use Google assistant.

My post may have been worded poorly. 

I just finished my upgrade. I have a 2021 Custom Trail Boss. Changed the steering wheel, added the High Country Cluster from WAMS. Used the harnessdr.com LIN Bus Harness. Everything works as advertised. Getting the steering torx bolt out was the biggest hurdle. That added a few hours to the install. I snapped a standard torx bit in half using it on an impact wrench. Had to drive to autozone to buy an impact bit. Luckily I found a thread somewhere where they said there was Loctite on the steering wheel bolt. After I heated it up for a minute or two with a heat gun, it came right out.

• Like 1

It's a lotta work but definitely worth it.  My biggest fear was putting the Harness Doctor wire in the wrong hole and having to disassemble everything to correct my mistake.  I counted the slots for the Harness Doctor wire ends three times just to be sure.  

• Like 1

Aside from graphics, what specific features will the high country cluster add over the lesser cluster? Anybody making headway on getting a heated wheel to work at all? Don't really care about it, just that the heated wheel seems more available.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 5:38 PM, Flatblack83 said:

Job done in under an hour, all wheel buttons work with the radio and cluster..!!!  

20210617_181111.jpg

On 10/8/2021 at 8:30 AM, Mac-427 said:

New Truck.jpg

New Instruments.jpg

What part numbers are your steering wheels? My truck already has the correct trim/color for this specific steering wheel.

On 10/19/2021 at 2:02 PM, Mac-427 said:

The graphics are nice but not absolutely necessary.  I was more interested in  the steering wheel audio and phone controls because I consider them a safety issue.

Exactly my thoughts. Notice on the interior for 2023, they even moved the volume nob on the console closer to the driver, rather than keeping it centered for passenger convenience 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...