IOR Steering Wheel Control Retrofits are here!

I'll be doing this mod in my 2022 Custom LTD. I have the High Country cluster from WAMS, I have a new steering wheel with the controls for the DIC, and I have HarnessDR harness on order.

I plan on making an install video to add to my youtube channel for more in depth look at this modification. Stay tuned.

*UPDATE* 7/31/22

Got my High Country cluster installed yesterday along with the harness dr. wire, and my new steering wheel. Couldn't be any more pleased. The install took about 2 hours (while filming) and was not really that difficult. I am in the process of editing my in depth tutorial video that should help others do this mod.image0.thumb.jpeg.08dd2555358b21bd216c97f783020371.jpeg

Edited by fondupot

11 hours ago, GETGONE said:

Should have swapped in a black Bowtie while it was apart!

Changing to a black Bowtie on the steering wheel is deceptively hard to do because it is glued to the air bag.  I ended up masking mine and and painting it with semi-gloss black.  So far, it is holding up just fine.

New Instruments.jpg

8 hours ago, Mac-427 said:

Changing to a black Bowtie on the steering wheel is deceptively hard to do because it is glued to the air bag.  I ended up masking mine and and painting it with semi-gloss black.  So far, it is holding up just fine.

Hmm interesting. On my 08 Avalanche it is an aluminum badge(circle) that is held on with 4 bent over tabs on the back side of the airbag cover. I was able to pull the cover off and not disturb the airbag and swap it out for a red SS emblem.

13 hours ago, GETGONE said:

Hmm interesting. On my 08 Avalanche it is an aluminum badge(circle) that is held on with 4 bent over tabs on the back side of the airbag cover. I was able to pull the cover off and not disturb the airbag and swap it out for a red SS emblem.

I thought my situation would be that simple only to be disappointed because it was not.  That emblem is glued on so tightly it is almost impossible to remove without damaging the air bag.  That's why I decided to back off and paint it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 9:46 AM, Railroad_Jim said:

I have done some research on that, but I'm not sure if it will work. 

From reading the schematics on the gmupfitter site, we would need to add a wire to the clockspring harness, similar to what is required to get the steering wheel controls to work.

We would need to connect the X85 clockspring connector pin 10 (Circuit 4119 GN/BU size 0.35, LIN Bus 19) to K33 HVAC Control Module X2 pin 6.  (As seen on pages 182 and 461 in the schematics.)

The related 7.5A F22 fuse for the circuit was already in my fusebox.

I don't know where the K33 X2 connector is located, but I believe it is in the instrument panel, so harnessdr could probably make up a wire for this, similar to the other one.  The big question for me is, does the HVAC Control Module have the Lin Bus 19 support on our trucks?

Somebody should try this!  :)

Just got done installing the High Country Cluster and Leather Steering Wheel on my 2019 Trail Boss. I ran a wire from clockspring pin 10 to the HVAC control module pin 6 and unfortunately the heated steering wheel still doesn't work. I believe it may be a feature that has to be activated by the dealership. For those interested, the HVAC Control Module is located in the instrument panel straight up above the brake pedal and kind of a pain to get to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tpettigr said:

Just got done installing the High Country Cluster and Leather Steering Wheel on my 2019 Trail Boss. I ran a wire from clockspring pin 10 to the HVAC control module pin 6 and unfortunately the heated steering wheel still doesn't work. I believe it may be a feature that has to be activated by the dealership. For those interested, the HVAC Control Module is located in the instrument panel straight up above the brake pedal and kind of a pain to get to.

Thanks for trying this!  I was really curious if just adding that wire would get the steering wheel heater to work.  Bummer to hear that it didn't work.

Thanks for telling us where the HVAC Control Module is located.

I ended up going with the steering wheel that doesn't have the steering wheel heater, as that was the only one that I could find in stock.