The head unit will remain black, can't connect to Bluetooth, use the radio, see anything...but when I put it in reverse the back up cam works everytime!! I know if it'll work or not after I close my driver door, of the "splash screen" doesn't show up it will remain black when I turn on my truck and as I said the back up cam will always work. It has progressively gotten worse, used to be very rare that it would stay black but now it's almost 100% of the time and literally 1/100 times it will work. ihave tried removing fuzes and plugging back in, removed the head unit and replaced with an OEM.. that did nothing. Tried unplugging battery and allowing to reset, gotten the latest software updates and still nothing!

Hope someone can help it's driving me nuts! I love my truck but this ruins the experience especially on long rides. 

Edited by koconnor1822
Added tags

I had this happen to me once but it was due to a bad usb cable. When I started the truck, android auto tries to load but couldn't so it froze in "black" screen. I unplugged the usb cable. The screen went back to normal within a few seconds. 

Edit: make sure you don't have anything connected to any of your usb ports. Turn your Bluetooth and hotspot off to see if problem continues.

Try scanning your HMI for DTC. Maybe there's code there?

Edited by CrawlSlow

• 6 months later...
On 7/6/2021 at 11:04 AM, koconnor1822 said:

The head unit will remain black, can't connect to Bluetooth, use the radio, see anything...but when I put it in reverse the back up cam works everytime!! I know if it'll work or not after I close my driver door, of the "splash screen" doesn't show up it will remain black when I turn on my truck and as I said the back up cam will always work. It has progressively gotten worse, used to be very rare that it would stay black but now it's almost 100% of the time and literally 1/100 times it will work. ihave tried removing fuzes and plugging back in, removed the head unit and replaced with an OEM.. that did nothing. Tried unplugging battery and allowing to reset, gotten the latest software updates and still nothing!

Hope someone can help it's driving me nuts! I love my truck but this ruins the experience especially on long rides. 

My 2017 silverado does this other than radio never works did you ever find a fix?