2004 Silverado vs 2016 Silverado ride comparison

Gibbo

My 2004 Silverado 1500 4x4 rode like a Chevrolet was supposed to ride. I bought a new 2016 Silverado 4x4 and it rides like a brand new Buckboard. Actually need to stop at a speed bump. It sucks! I've been reading about all the complaints on same topic. My question is this, why the heck would GM ever release this crap knowing full well people would hate it.

I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes, just wanted to express my undesirable thoughts.

• txab changed the title to 2004 Silverado vs 2016 Silverado ride comparison
17 hours ago, Gibbo said:

My 2004 Silverado 1500 4x4 rode like a Chevrolet was supposed to ride. I bought a new 2016 Silverado 4x4 and it rides like a brand new Buckboard. Actually need to stop at a speed bump. It sucks! I've been reading about all the complaints on same topic. My question is this, why the heck would GM ever release this crap knowing full well people would hate it.

I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes, just wanted to express my undesirable thoughts.

Not much of a back story. I bought it brand new with a COSTCO/ GM offer which at the time seemed like a winner. It's just a $69k bad deal, horrible ride. I've had a better ride in an old Army deuce and a half. I'm certain it would be quite costly to make it ride like my old 2004 Silverado 4x4. If GM can't do better, I'll switch to a Tundra, or Ford, or RAM. 

i haven't heard of any complaints about ride quality as far as "buckboard or duce and a half goes ..in fact quite the opposite .i had a 05 and it rode ok but my 15 is much better imo

Edited by evad
bad spelling

My '04 rode lovely. This 2016, like one guy stated, feels like it's riding on wood blocks on the frame rather than springs. Horrible ride. Actually need to stop to go over a speed bump.

I spent about $4,500 on King coil overs, New Deaver leaf springs made to my wished and Sulastic hangers before my dental work would stay put. I drive the crap out of now. Really enjoy the rest of the truck. 

They call them half tons but really they are one ton suspensions in a quarter ton chassis. Unless the definition of a ton has changed while I wasn't looking.  The egos of buyers is only paled by the egos of the OEM's. Bigger, Arh arh arh. Faster, grrrrrr, MORE POWER, more tow, more haul!!!! Except I don't want a 3500 LOL. 

I hear ya brother. But $4500 would put me at $73k after my first investment nearly $69k plus another 4500. This thing almost feels like the front end comes off the ground on a speed bump. Complained since it was new, the dealer just looks at me like a one eyed bull looking at a bastard calf. If you can imagine that look. 😉

• Like 1

Welcome to this forum!  I've owned a '00, '09, & '15.  They all rode very nicely.  The great thing was, I test drove each of them and I wasn't disappointed later.   If your truck started to ride rough after purchase then you should have taken it for warranty repair.  I've owned/driven  Cadillacs, Lincolns and buckboards.  I do appreciate a smooth ride and my stock '15 Sierra 1500 on Michelin's doesn't disappoint and doesn't stop for speed bumps!  Seriously, get it looked at by a reputable suspension shop.

Donstar:  On my 2016 the ride is pretty good. By comparing it to a buckboard was the speed bumps portion. It nearly feels like the front end comes off the ground. That's the reason I have to stop for speed bumps. When my back is bothering me, it is no joy. Other than that the ride is nice. Thanks for the suggestion about a good suspension shop. Appreciate ya.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 2:54 PM, stevejones said:

Congrats on finding a new leftover '16 five years later.  What's the backstory on this gem?

Bought it brand new thru GM and COSTCO deal. I guess I kind of misspoke about the ride. The ride is actually pretty nice. It's the fact I have to stop to go over a speed bump. Even then it almost feels like the front end comes off the ground. No spring to it at all, it's like it's mounted on wood blocks to the frame, as one guy said earlier.