Transmission Replacement

Been having issues with my transmission not shifting correctly on my 2015 Silverado.  Took it in to the dealership and just got the call, needs new torque converter, and a couple valves replaced.  Cost, EYE POPPING $4100, and may fix the problem and carries a 2year warranty.  BUT, if transmission goes out in a month, then I’m screwed and that isn’t covered.  Other option NEW TRANSMISSION FOR $6500 with a 3yr warranty.  The real crappy part is the truck only has 67000 miles on it.  REALLY, 67000 MILES AND NEEDS A NEW TRANSMISSION, WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK!!!

Anyone had similar issues?

I was thinking of ordering a 3500 next summer, and trading this one in.  Problem now is that there is no 3500 stock available in my area.   I may need to keep it a couple years more, since I am paying so much to get it fixed now.

19 hours ago, Neil S said:

I was thinking of ordering a 3500 next summer, and trading this one in.  Problem now is that there is no 3500 stock available in my area.   I may need to keep it a couple years more, since I am paying so much to get it fixed now.

Not to sound, or be mean spirited, why would you look at another GM truck?

You do not sound very happy with the one you have now, most would shop the other brands.

Edited by JimCost2014

On 8/3/2021 at 2:55 PM, Neil S said:

Been having issues with my transmission not shifting correctly on my 2015 Silverado.  Took it in to the dealership and just got the call, needs new torque converter, and a couple valves replaced.  Cost, EYE POPPING $4100, and may fix the problem and carries a 2year warranty.  BUT, if transmission goes out in a month, then I’m screwed and that isn’t covered.  Other option NEW TRANSMISSION FOR $6500 with a 3yr warranty.  The real crappy part is the truck only has 67000 miles on it.  REALLY, 67000 MILES AND NEEDS A NEW TRANSMISSION, WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK!!!

This almost a weekly thread title now. Everyone that can read knows WHAT the problem's root cause is and yet we have a million reasons to NOT fix it properly. This converter issue has been hashed and rehashed SEVEN years running and we seem surprised every time that when it goes it takes out the entire transmission. Surprised EVERY TIME.  

My turtle is under a wash tub.

A grenade is tossed under the tub.

The turtle dies.

Why did my turtle die?

Darn turtle is weak as milk!

:banghead:

In my area Houston Texas a total rebuild is 1/2 that. I’d shop around. If its still driving and shifting I’d do a fluid change. I’d definitely get away from the dealer and get another estimate. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 3:25 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

This almost a weekly thread title now. Everyone that can read knows WHAT the problem's root cause is and yet we have a million reasons to NOT fix it properly. This converter issue has been hashed and rehashed SEVEN years running and we seem surprised every time that when it goes it takes out the entire transmission. Surprised EVERY TIME.  

My turtle is under a wash tub.

A grenade is tossed under the tub.

The turtle dies.

Why did my turtle die?

Darn turtle is weak as milk!

:banghead:

my TCC failed and didn't take anything out with it. they cleaned the trans put a new TCC in and good as new.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to put a transmission in my 16 at 69k miles.  Develop a shake at low rpm, attempted to drive it to the dealer but got so bad I had it towed in for service.  Tech ended up replacing the hp fuel pump, injector, afm lifter, and a bent valve.  Made it less than a mile and same issue showed up.  Took it back only to be told i needed a transmission also.  $2100 in engine repair and $4000 for a factory rebuilt transmission.  GM did kick in a grand on the transmission luckily. 

• Sad 2

• 2 years later...

Mine has 71,000 2018 and I’m having the same issue. You are right, GMC knows it too. It’s a big problem affecting a bunch of trucks.They should have to replace these transmissions… they are junk

Mine has 71,000 2018 and I’m having the same issue. You are right, GMC knows it too. It’s a big problem affecting a bunch of trucks.They should have to replace these transmissions… they are junk.

I’m interested to see if people that had the transmission replaced have had any more issues? Is it worth it to bite the bullet and put a new ( GM) transmission in my truck? Does it fix the problem?