(2021 Sierra Denali) OEM Tires - Snow Performance?

The question: How do the OEM all-seasons perform in snow? 

Living in Colorado, our winters can be brutal. Especially in the high country. As such, on previous vehicles, I typically utilized two sets of wheels/tires. One set with dedicated snow tires and another set with performance summer tires. I swapped them around as weather permitted and seasons changed. Granted, this was with a long line of high horsepower performance cars. So lots of traction in the summer was preferred and dedicated snow tires were required in the winter for proper safety precautions. 

This time around, I'm thinking dedicated snow tires would be overkill and a single set of good all-seasons should suffice. That said, I'm curious how the OEM all-seasons perform and whether it's necessary to either upgrade to a different set of all-seasons or if it's worthwhile to have a set of dedicated snow tires. 

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Kevin Flannery

4 minutes ago, Mike M1959 said:

A good "three peak rated" snow tire is best on these trucks.  I've used various types of off road tires that are rated for deep snow etc.  

Thanks for the heads up. In my quick research on "three peak rated tires", it looks like there are some all-seasons and all-terrain tires that meet the criteria to obtain that rating. Are there any particular three peak rated all seasons you'd recommend? 

Ideally, I want to get something that's still relatively quiet/smooth in the warmer weather but can handle snow conditions when we get hit with a random blizzard. 

Edited by Kevin Flannery

12 minutes ago, stevejones said:

Don't tell us what brand/tires came on your truck....

😆 Apologies. I ask for a recommendation and leave out a crucial piece of information...

Bridgestone Alenza A/S 02 : https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Alenza+A%2FS+02&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=75HR2AAS02&tab=Sizes

As I've started perusing around, online reviews seem to indicate the snow performance of the Alenza is quite poor. It looks like people recommend switching to something like the below tire.

Michelin Defender LTX M/Shttps://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender+LTX+M%2FS&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=75HR2DLTX&tab=Sizes

Edited by Kevin Flannery

Michelin Defender LTX M/S are hands down the best all around Truck tire on the market. Snow traction is top notch. Quite, smooth ride, great handling dry and wet conditions, light mud, sand - no problem, and great gas mileage. I had the LTX on every pickup and suv I ever owned. I'm in the northeast and never got stuck or lost control. The only place they might be lacking is in hard core off roading. I currently have them on My 21 RST in 275/50R22.

IMG_20210313_163255697.jpg

Edited by Diamond817

OP asks a great question - the stock 275/50r22 Tires don't leave a lot of options.  I have not found a "three peak rated" tire in that size, I've been looking a lot,  and I'm nervous that plus size tires will rub, and I'm not interested in a lift. So, it looks like the Michelin Defender (not "three peak rated") will end up on my truck. 

38 minutes ago, bwoodsmn said:

OP asks a great question - the stock 275/50r22 Tires don't leave a lot of options.  I have not found a "three peak rated" tire in that size, I've been looking a lot,  and I'm nervous that plus size tires will rub, and I'm not interested in a lift. So, it looks like the Michelin Defender (not "three peak rated") will end up on my truck. 

Take a look at the Nitto Terra Grapplers G2's. Certain sizes are 3peak rated. Don't know which ones are, but the 285/45r 22's aren't, that I run.. The tread doesn't change, so I have no idea why. Since the tread doesn't change for the 3peak rating, I said it was close enough.

I was a KO2 fan boy, until they didn't make a 22" tire. I went with the G2's and couldn't be happier. Central Nebraska isn't Colorado, but we get snow. Excellent on the highway. OEM's were a joke on a farm truck.

Screenshot_20201212-173558_Gallery.jpg

I have the Alenza 22's on my Sierra Denali and did not have any problems getting around last winter up here is Michigan near Lake Superior where we average over 200 inches of snow annually.  Not the best but I did not want to spend a $1000+ buying different tires.  I use AUTO 4-wheel almost all the time unless road are clear and dry which maybe 25% of the time.  But I rarely need 4wd to get around. 

Edited by elcamino

Only time I have been stuck in the snow with the factory Bridgestone's is when I managed to high center myself on the assist steps.

They do fine if you remember, you are driving on a frozen surface with snow on top of it.

Edited by JimCost2014

I just traded in a Denali for my AT4. We like to drive up to Colorado in the summer for vacation and winter for skiing. I used the 22” Alenzas for most of the year and then 18” Duratrac in the winter time. They were 3 peak rated. The Alenzas will get you there, but the snow tire just brings a whole different set of safety and confidence. Well worth the extra $$$ in my book.  If you can afford the Denali you can afford a cheap set of dedicated winter tires. My 2 cents. 

I always run dedicated winter tires when the water gets hard here in Montana. I have run, and still run one set, of Nokian Hakkepelitta's on my 12V Dodge Ram. Quite likely the best winter tires made.

I have been looking for a second set of wheels for my AT4 so I can have a winter set. Trying to find a set of reasonably priced CarbonPro wheels was proving difficult. I found this set of non-CP wheels & tires about 250 miles away. I picked them up yesterday. The tires are Hankook iPike RWT's. Supposed to be a decent snow tire.

2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4.jpeg

I have always wondered why have two sets of wheel/tires? Do the people that run summer/winter tires, live in the city and don't find themselves needing a truck tire all year?

Not putting anyone down, I commend them for having to encure the extra expense of double the cost. Makes it safer for me/family when I'm near you on the winter roads.