What is GM thinking

TNTSierra

So as most of you know by reading my threads and posts. I’m not a fan of GM standing around with an Arsenal of small blocks at their disposal. So I got home from sons football practice, cracked open a beer and read an article and it stated this:

what the “F” is GM thinking.  This could be in the Camaro, A sport truck and the new ZR2 or ZRX for those who wanted a Raptor fighter.  Makes literally no sense. So let’s here it from others, because I can’t be the only one wandering what the ????!!!

BE500DC2-33BC-4062-AA77-A8BB867733EA.png

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

So as most of you know by reading my threads and posts. I’m not a fan of GM standing around with an Arsenal of small blocks at their disposal. So I got home from sons football practice, cracked open a beer and read an article and it stated this:

what the “F” is GM thinking.  This could be in the Camaro, A sport truck and the new ZR2 or ZRX for those who wanted a Raptor fighter.  Makes literally no sense. So let’s here it from others, because I can’t be the only one wandering what the ????!!!

BE500DC2-33BC-4062-AA77-A8BB867733EA.png

Price for a crate version?

Unfortunately we all have to come to terms with these type of engines going away for good. With the Camaro going to be dropped for 2024, that will likely be the end of the road for the LT4 too. Also, Chrysler recently announced an EV muscle car for 2024, so that probably means the death of the Hellcat as well.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is my last new vehicle because it seems to be all down hill from here. At least for the guys who like V8s. Can’t argue, the EVs will be faster, but that’s not the point for me. I’m a man-child and I like loud noise.

7 hours ago, SILVER SLED said:

Here is another potentially great GM motor that was a ground up development that was only put in a few cars then canned.  

Why Cadillac Killed Its Landmark Blackwing V-8 Engine (roadandtrack.com)

This is a company that shoots itself in the foot almost every year. The Cad failed in the cockpit and the general fit and finish of everything that wonderful power package was surrounded by. If you want a piece of Benz, BMW, Porsche and so on you can't go with only half the car. IMHO of course. 😉 

• Like 1

Is it surprising?  Let's face it GM is a company that actually believed the Z71 and AT4 were off-road packages.  They're appearance packages on their best day.  Their new Silverado ZR2......didn't even get the treatment the colorado ZR2 did with improved suspension geometry, wider stance, etc.  It took them 3 years to supposedly fix the 5.3 and 6.2 eating lifters like fat kids eat cake, and they still haven't fixed the rear window leak issue since 19'   This is a company that made the only gas tank size available on a 6.2 V8 truck 24 gallons.   Heck they are still putting sunroofs in trucks in a sea of companies offering multi-panel moon roofs. 

GM still thinks the 420hp 460 ft/lbs 6.2 is a big deal as an optional engine.  Ram is 400 hp, the 2022 Tundra is likely going to be over 400hp, the 3.5L ecoboost is 400hp and 500 ft/lbs.    420 hp isn't special anymore, it's average.  While I might not like it, my guess is we're going to see a wave of hybrid engines coming and smaller turbo V6's

These days I'd say that probably applies to every big technical company these days. The smart people doing the work could do a much better job if only they were given the freedom to do so and frequently are forced to do things that negatively impact the experience of the end user.  Usually by management reading too many motivational books, or focusing on the latest buzzword (which seems to currently be AGILE) that acts on incomplete or flat out incorrect information, zero technical background, or just cutting corners for profits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1