You have two options as far as I know.

Either stick the truck in neutral and apply the parking brake or ask about this service from the dealership that you will have to pay for.

#21-NA-056: Information on Vehicles Engine Shuts Off After 30 or 60 Minutes of Idling - (Mar 17, 2021)

Subject: Information on Vehicles Engine Shuts Off After 30 or 60 Minutes of Idling

Involved Region or Country

North America, Middle East, Israel, Palestine, Ecuador, Paraguay and Thailand.

Additional Options (RPOs)

Equipped with SWITCH-START, KEYLESS (RPO BTM)

Condition

Some customers may comment on if the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter outside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to half an hour.

If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter inside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to an hour

Cause

The cause of the condition may be some GM vehicles were designed with an idle time-out.

Correction

In certain situations, the customer will request that this feature be turned off because they need to extend their idle time.

A calibration for the Body Control Module is available to eliminate the idle time out feature. Contact the Techline Customer Support Center at United States 1-888-337-1010, Canada (English) at 1-800-828-6860, or Canada (French) at 1-800-503-3222. The Techline Customer Support Center will provide programming instructions and changes to the vehicles calibration settings. You must provide the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle to be programmed. There is a fee associated with the requested vehicle calibration changes.

Refer to the proper Body Control Module: Programming and Setup procedure within SI.

Important: If this calibration is installed, the dealer will need to print the Owner’s Agreement Statement attached in this bulletin and put it with the Owner’s Manual.

Important: This is a customer pay repair.

Important: The vehicle owner is responsible to be aware of any local ordinances that restrict prolong idling.

Owner’s Agreement Statement

When the vehicle was produced, it came with the auto-shutdown feature enabled.  If you are not the primary owner of your vehicle, please note that this feature may have been disabled by a previous owner. The vehicle owner is responsible for being aware of and complying with any local ordinances that may restrict prolonged idling. The vehicle owner can have this feature re-enabled at owner cost at any GM service center

Parts Information

No parts are required for this repair.

• Like 1

Might want to make sure the exhaust doesn't enter the RV. If your parked with the engine running for hours in a camp spot, it could happen. As far as the auto shutoff defeat, I would try to get the computer pre-programmed to not auto shut down. Mail it off, get it back in a couple days. Maybe $50 fee. Oh, and since your computer is being programmed anyway - have them disable the DFM for free.

Edited by Supreme Pizza

probably has a timeout feature now, global warming must be stoped somehow

contact the guys ae HPtuners, 

try contacting the  Whites Automotive media services, I remember he sold an upgrade for previous trucks that lets you do small tweaks to the trucks BCM yhru the infotainment system stuff like , adjust idle rpm, alternator output, lights function etc. etc..

Edited by pokismoki

16 hours ago, Supreme Pizza said:

Might want to make sure the exhaust doesn't enter the RV. If your parked with the engine running for hours in a camp spot, it could happen. As far as the auto shutoff defeat, I would try to get the computer pre-programmed to not auto shut down. Mail it off, get it back in a couple days. Maybe $50 fee. Oh, and since your computer is being programmed anyway - have them disable the DFM for free.

I think you should add about $600-800 at a minimum to that $50 fee, there is no such thing as a cheap tune for a new truck like this. You can't just mail the computer off either, doesn't work that way with new truck.

HP Tuners would be very expensive way to go about this, plus it voids the warranty.

The dealership service is the cheapest and easiest option for fixing this problem forever.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

I think you should add about $600-800 at a minimum to that $50 fee, there is no such thing as a cheap tune for a new truck like this. You can't just mail the computer off either, doesn't work that way with new truck.

HP Tuners would be very expensive way to go about this, plus it voids the warranty.

The dealership service is the cheapest and easiest option for fixing this problem forever.

So your saying that reprogramming would work, but the who and the how much it would cost are the variables?

On 1/7/2022 at 9:30 AM, shakenfake said:

Is the idle timeout a newer thing? Never heard of that before.

Yes it started with the 19s and push button start. Since you don't turn the truck off by removing the key. It can be left running without you knowing. It has happened before and people have died because of it. So now there is a timer to automatically shut off the engine after a period of idle.

On 1/7/2022 at 9:30 AM, shakenfake said:

Is the idle timeout a newer thing? Never heard of that before.

After the automotive industry killed a few people that left push button vehicles idling in there enclosed (and attached) garages....

Edited by redwngr

On 1/6/2022 at 11:33 PM, Mick L said:

I would like to run the motor at idle in my 2021 Silverado to charge the battery in my RV. The motor shuts off after a short while. How do I defeat this. Thanks, Mick

eu1000t1ag_pe_imglg.jpg

Yes there are options that may be cheaper than a honda...

• Thanks 1

I guess if people can forget their kids in the car. And need a warning device for that. Taking your family out by leaving your vehicle running in the garage isn’t much of a stretch. Put in park hit the button. Take a leak, pull up the zipper. That’s another tough one. Hard to imagine there’s people that absent minded. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I guess if people can forget their kids in the car. And need a warning device for that. Taking your family out by leaving your vehicle running in the garage isn’t much of a stretch. Put in park hit the button. Take a leak, pull up the zipper. That’s another tough one. Hard to imagine there’s people that absent minded. 

Oh yes, there are "many" of them out there these days!!!

5 hours ago, KARNUT said:

It would cost GM less than a dollar to add a carbon monoxide detector somewhere inside or outside the vehicle on all the push button vehicles. So if the rig is left running in the garage, the horn starts honking, or some other sound, and it also triggers the automatic engine shut down (as long as the vehicle is not moving). Maybe a voice that repeatedly and loudly says "DANGER: CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTED, DO NOT ENTER GARAGE, EVACUATE HOUSE IMMEDIATELY AND THEN CALL 911". It would have a manual bypass or something that resets after 30 minutes, to allow for vehicle diagnostics and repairs or what ever.

If it cost $1 per unit, and they make 250 million cars, than I guess it would not make financial sense to install them though - since the company would probably not be responsible for the deaths due to the fact that on page 347 of the owners manual there is a "warning" that says ... Don't leave your car running in a closed garage..   I'm sure that the few lines of print cost less than $1, so it is what it is I guess.

Am I right? Who knows....