Long, long term. Am I nuts?

9 hours ago, Moend said:

If it can tow my camper for 200 miles between charge and charges up in 20min top then I would make peace with it.

We're in the same boat as you. The primary reason for owning our truck is to tow a camper. Until the battery chemistry catches up with the capabilities of even current generation EV trucks and 800+ volt pull through charging stations are common (so you can charge with a trailer hooked up), it isn't logistically feasible. I could see being able to top off your battery on a 50 amp RV plug when you're at a full hookup site, but I have a feeling you would be tripping breakers a lot trying to do that given that the wiring at campgrounds probably can't handle constant duty cycle of EV chargers on those circuits.

For smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic passenger vehicles that don't tow anything, however, I think EVs have their place with the current tech and infrastructure available to us. Our other vehicle is a Mini Countryman and it rarely goes on a round trip longer than 100 - 120 miles, and if anything an EV would be better for the common short 6 - 10 mile trips/errands as you don't have to worry about the drivetrain not getting up to temperature and getting sludged/carboned up as a result. I change the oil at shorter intervals than recommend in the Mini to combat this and often intentionally take a longer/higher speed route on shorter errands just to get it fully warmed up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, It's Tim said:

No of course not, but if fuel is restricted to use only by certain somebodies what then?

I have serious doubts about the future of EV's and going to "only" EV's as the majority of all vehicles.

As I mentioned, there are some serious issues with EV's...not really in functionality, but the environmental and overall feasibility.

14 hours ago, Moend said:

EV is going to catch on eventually, I seen the TFL video of the electric Silverado and it is impressive. But like other stated EV are far from being ready. Hopefully the engineers will figure out the better range and better charging capabilities. If it can tow my camper for 200 miles between charge and charges up in 20min top then I would make peace with it. EV in general have less moving parts, batteries can be recycled, less maintenance cost due to no oil changes etc

They are good for the environment so you will make environment cautious folks happy (I throw back 22" plus walleyes to keep producing) so there I also save the environment in my own way. Is the gas or diesel going away the answer not any time soon. Do I like the V8 rumble yeah but I am getting older and enjoy my quiet comfortable truck more.

Watch this video. EV's are not nearly as good for the environment as people think and companies try to advertise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

The people in charge in the last year are pushing EVs, man made climate change and a cure or end to Covid. How’s that working out? Are you better off? Think about it.

The OEM's are placing their stockholders $$ and existence bets on EV's.  Good or bad thats what they are doing. Not defending but sharing fact. 

On Covid or any virus that attacks humans  if you don't get vaxed, wear a mask, isolate if sick, you are THE problem. A living reactor for viral replication and variation.  Until those things happen in majority of virus hosting population politics or opinion won't change the fact of viral behavior. 

I profited off of and worked for large oil companies for a career and they are losing the grip that frames most of our opinions.  Even wall street is walking away long term from Shell, Exxon/Mobil, Chevron, Conoco, Phillips.  Interesting that Putin's Russia is dependent on oil and gas and has an economy the size of Texas or less....cut of the Ruskies oil income and they starve, let alone rattle sabers. 

https://money.usnews.com/investing/news/articles/2022-01-10/analysis-shrink-to-fit-the-year-big-oil-starts-to-become-small-oil

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, customboss said:

PS as long as there is a market for IC engines you will have fuel source. You'll be dead before that is not the case. Profit motive is powerful. 

I agree your  oil analysis at present. People I know in the business are buzzing with new expanding pipeline construction. A change in administration will affect the present mindset. As far as the Covid. I did the requirements got the bug. My wife didn’t suffered less with more co-morbidity. I recently listening to a program about studies suggesting mask cause more harm than protecting. Expanding information on the Covid seems that there are well accredited doctors that  have different opinions. Those opinions seem to be baring fruit over time. I have family members getting Covid for the second time, vax and boosted. In my 66 years the one thing I know is certain, change. 

Edited by KARNUT
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I agree your  oil analysis at present. People I know in the business are buzzing with new expanding pipeline construction. A change in administration will affect the present mindset. As far as the Covid. I did the requirements got the bug. My wife didn’t suffered less with more co-morbidity. I recently listening to a program about studies suggesting mask cause more harm than protecting. Expanding information on the Covid seems that there are well accredited doctors that  have different opinions. Those opinions seem to be baring fruit over time. I have family members getting Covid for the second time, vax and boosted. In my 66 years the one thing I know is certain, change. 

Wall Street doesn't care who is in US presidential office. Big money makes money regardless.

House losing isn't in business long, case in point TRUMP Taj Mahal, NJ a great example. 

Mistaking political opinion for investing is a common misconception.

Pipelines are constantly being updated and installed for population growth.  If you were reading this right OEM's would be building non hybrid and ev's going forward. They aren't.  Thats doesn't mean you won't have access to an IC engine truck, you will. 

The reason you see breakthrough infections is because 40% of Americans are selfish, ignorant, and miss-informed, acting on that ignorance.  Another aspect of ANY virus is that its moving worldwide and that is exponentially growing by our travel capability. 

You may not be a globalist in opinion or ideology but if you've had Covid infection you became one. Raped by Covid. Welcome to worldwide living.  Just like 1918-19 except we have jets now. 

• Like 3

On 1/12/2022 at 6:51 AM, TeamSaris said:

I adore my truck. 21 elevation 5.3/10 speed. Zero issues with it. Ive always figured Id buy another right before I see no alternatives to having to buy some hybrid bs. With the way things are looking, Im betting its within 5 years. So that has me thinking, Ill likely be trying to stretch the life out of that truck as long as possible. Im an engine builder by trade, so im not afraid of digging into it 15-20 years from now. What does have me nervous is fuel supply. Where will we be? My thought is as much as Im not a diesel guy, maybe id be better off with the babymax long term. Diesel fuel is easier to make. Who knows, if they shut it ALL down maybe it could be converted to grease? Am I nuts for thinking this way?

Im trying to avoid owning an electric vehicle as long as physically possible. 

Move on with your life and enjoy your IC engines. You'll be long gone before you can't procure one and fuel it. 

12 minutes ago, customboss said:

Wall Street doesn't care who is in US presidential office. Big money makes money regardless.

House losing isn't in business long, case in point TRUMP Taj Mahal, NJ a great example. 

Mistaking political opinion for investing is a common misconception.

Pipelines are constantly being updated and installed for population growth.  If you were reading this right OEM's would be building non hybrid and ev's going forward. They aren't.  Thats doesn't mean you won't have access to an IC engine truck, you will. 

The reason you see breakthrough infections is because 40% of Americans are selfish, ignorant, and miss-informed, acting on that ignorance.  Another aspect of ANY virus is that its moving worldwide and that is exponentially growing by our travel capability. 

You may not be a globalist in opinion or ideology but if you've had Covid infection you became one. Raped by Covid. Welcome to worldwide living.  Just like 1918-19 except we have jets now. 

There’s no consideration to the fact that some already had Covid and others can’t get the shot. For example my daughter has lupus was advised not to get the shot. Many things aren’t cut and dry. There’s religious considerations I hear. I’m surprised that some people are so dead fast in their consideration. We were told get vax your protected and wear a mask.  I had a house full the day before my symptoms. Served dinner. No spread. The high horses need to be put back in the barn. Jury still out on this. So far the experts front and center have been wrong. Said my piece, I’ll conclude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

There’s no consideration to the fact that some already had Covid and others can’t get the shot. For example my daughter has lupus was advised not to get the shot. Many things aren’t cut and dry. There’s religious considerations I hear. I’m surprised that some people are so dead fast in their consideration. We were told get vax your protected and wear a mask.  I had a house full the day before my symptoms. Served dinner. No spread. The high horses need to be put back in the barn. Jury still out on this. So far the experts front and center have been wrong. Said my piece, I’ll conclude.

On the pipeline front. The new construction is new construction. 40 years working in maintenance of pipeline I’ve seen many down turns. Without fail the first cutbacks were pipeline maintenance. The opposite is happening. My brother runs 19 crew’s. Business is booming. My brother in law works in a pipe yard as a quality inspector. He was head hunted to a new yard. Business is booming. Nervousness isn’t in the air.

I think the long term fuel sources are also tied to our homes - how many are heated with natural gas, propane and heating oil? Plus look at all the infrastructure tied to those industries. They are going anywhere anytime soon, but as demand lessens for unleaded and then eventually diesel, it will become harder to find and more expensive to buy. 

When 1/2 the cars seen on the road are electric - you think fuel will be on every street corner?

That being said, I agree with the above - I'm not opposed to electric, so long as I can tow an RV 500-750 miles and be at my destination in less than 12 hours then readily re-fuel - err charge - fine.  As was said though it'll be a long time (if ever) before those out of the way places have the electrical infrastructure in place. 

• Like 3

On 1/12/2022 at 8:51 AM, TeamSaris said:

I adore my truck. 21 elevation 5.3/10 speed. Zero issues with it. Ive always figured Id buy another right before I see no alternatives to having to buy some hybrid bs. With the way things are looking, Im betting its within 5 years. So that has me thinking, Ill likely be trying to stretch the life out of that truck as long as possible. Im an engine builder by trade, so im not afraid of digging into it 15-20 years from now. What does have me nervous is fuel supply. Where will we be? My thought is as much as Im not a diesel guy, maybe id be better off with the babymax long term. Diesel fuel is easier to make. Who knows, if they shut it ALL down maybe it could be converted to grease? Am I nuts for thinking this way?

Im trying to avoid owning an electric vehicle as long as physically possible. 

My thought on this is that we will all be long gone before the world moves to the point that you can no longer purchase an IC.  Infrastructure still is a long way off to support mas EV and big oil isn't going to loose out in short term.

To many things still need to be considered.

• Like 1