2020 Silverado w/ 3.0L diesel - new engine under warranty @ 75k miles!

Hello everyone.  I don't post much here, but I sure appreciate the information I have learned from the forum.  I thought I would share my recent story on how I just had a NEW ENGINE installed under warranty at just under 75k miles.

I've had on and off engine light issues that my dealer could never figure out.  In fact, they claimed it never threw a code.  While in Cleveland visiting family for Thanksgiving, the truck threw the engine light plus the "reduced power" message on the dash.  Took it to the local dealer.  First they put in a new ECM as they claimed it had an internal short in the ECM on the oil pressure circuit.  (code p06dd)  After completing that repair, oil pressure still 6psi at idle.  They pulled the oil pan and found the #2 cylinder oil squirter and bolt smashed and lying in the pan.  They ended up replacing the entire engine under warranty due to damage to the block from the squirter and bolt coming out.

The repair took 6 weeks!

I live ~700 miles from Cleveland.  Major hassle to get them to give me a rental car, and I only had it for 3-4 weeks of the 6 week repair.  Then Roadside Assistance was supposed to return the truck to me.  But after waiting and waiting on them, I actually flew to Cleveland and drove it home.  Roadside Assistance is MISERABLE to deal with!!!!!!

No charge for the repairs, but spent $600 on a rental car home and a flight back up to get it.  Anyone want to put odds on whether or not GM pays me back for those expenses?

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

There’s car dealers that will offer perks for repeat buyers. Pick up your vehicle, bring it back. Loaners during repairs. Some like Lexus will do that as part of the customer experience. Of course these are considered upscale car companies and offer services considered upscale. Strangely truck buyers are paying Lexus type of money and getting none of the perks. I’ve always been amazed by this. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 10:33 AM, TxTruckMan said:

I think the warranty only covers your vehicle, not your inconvenience.  It sucks, but at least you got a new engine. Did you give you a new extended warranty?

Still another 25,000 left on the original one...

Edited by redwngr

On 1/21/2022 at 10:38 AM, KARNUT said:

There’s car dealers that will offer perks for repeat buyers. Pick up your vehicle, bring it back. Loaners during repairs. Some like Lexus will do that as part of the customer experience. Of course these are considered upscale car companies and offer services considered upscale. Strangely truck buyers are paying Lexus type of money and getting none of the perks. I’ve always been amazed by this. 

My GMC dealer gives me a free courtesy vehicle - or at least they did before the chip shortage.  Now they give free rides to/from the dealership.  I think they even give free rides while vehicle is in for service.  They also have a nice waiting room with free drinks and WiFi and work desks.

22 minutes ago, TxTruckMan said:

My GMC dealer gives me a free courtesy vehicle - or at least they did before the chip shortage.  Now they give free rides to/from the dealership.  I think they even give free rides while vehicle is in for service.  They also have a nice waiting room with free drinks and WiFi and work desks.

Mine does that. Iv bought 4 Hyundai’s and several GMC trucks. The local Lexus dealer will do that with 1 buy.

• Like 1