Plugging up lm2

8 hours ago, Fattyz28 said:

How many of you duramax guys plug your truck up on cold nights? And what temperature do you utilize it?First winter owning a diesel, just looking for tips or ideas. 

Not needed until the temperature drops to 0 or below, or you are at a high elevation.  It is listed in the diesel supplement. (See below)

Living in southern Alabama, I've never had to use it with my LM2.

https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2021/gmc/multimodel/2021-3l-duramax-diesel-supplement.pdf

Screenshot_20220116-070823_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

11 hours ago, Fattyz28 said:

How many of you duramax guys plug your truck up on cold nights? And what temperature do you utilize it?First winter owning a diesel, just looking for tips or ideas. 

I plug the 3.0 and the 6.6 in every night, if'n it will be below freezing. I built timers out of pool pump timers for the farm equipment and I made more for our daily drivers.

20161212_184536.jpg

I frequently start at 0F or slightly below. We rarely get much below 0F at my location.  We often get weeklong periods when daytime temps don't get above 10F.  Pickups live outside.

12 or 14 years of 6.6's and the current 3.0s.

Never had one plugged in. 

Never had a problem starting one. 

Yes, we have several machines/vehicles around that will not start at 32F without being plugged in or given a sniff of ether.

Duramaxes are not in that 'hard to start' category. 

They are also quick to warm up. 

• Like 1

Here is gets to -20F every winter and even colder towards Canada, I'd be more worried about the fuel gelling up than the truck not starting because of low block temp. If it doesn't even get to 0 degrees where you live you technically don't need it.

On 1/16/2022 at 8:15 AM, gemarsh said:

I plug the 3.0 and the 6.6 in every night, if'n it will be below freezing. I built timers out of pool pump timers for the farm equipment and I made more for our daily drivers.

20161212_184536.jpg

That's really clever.  Have you considered manufacturing these to sell?

On 1/23/2022 at 7:03 PM, Transient said:

That's really clever.  Have you considered manufacturing these to sell?

Nope. As soon as I would, some company would make them out of chinisium, and put me out of business. 

I could do a how to with pictures and part links. I would also build one for a person that didn't feel comfortable. 

The 12ga cold weather cords are expensive. But it pays for itself, by not having the heating element burn all evening and night, wearing out the heater element and wasted electricity. The payoff probably is in just one year, if harvest turns wet and cold.