Oil Consumption On New 6.2

11 hours ago, customboss said:

That means the oil analysis needs to provide FTIR data and Karl Fischer water reading and GC fuels reading. 

Unless you can pin down a reason via observation or MIL code or obvious cause then without oil analysis you will stumble in darkness of trusting guessing....

I'd contact Nick @ Black02Silverado  and get a good oil analysis done. 

Or keep guessing. 

^^^^^^

This

• Thanks 1

Our 2016 Suburban with 75k miles on it doesn't use any oil as well as my 2019 Silverado 6.2 with 25k miles on it. The only thing I have done, like with all my vehicles, is I change out the factory oil at 500 miles, then again at 1,500 miles and then at 3,000 miles and then go from there all using AMSOIL.

Also, not that this really matters but it is what I do.  I drive the vehicle just like I drove the vehicle in for trade. Nothing special and having the 6.2 it is hard not to play with all the power over the 5.3 in the suburban.  Love on ramps and anytime I get a chance once in a while to WOT it.  The sound with the GM CAI and Corsa exhaust just gives me a huge smile.

The suburban has a tune from Black Bear Performance and it made an huge  difference in power and shifting with the 6sp.

UOA's have always been taken and I follow what they tell me.  I have had an issue with the Suburban with the UOA not being as good as it could be and turns out I had a stuck thermostat and the 5.3 was running at 140°, way to cold. $35 later and 10 minutes of my time and it is back to normal operating temp.

Also as stated, additives are not needed.  They are a band aid at best and do not fix issues and a money maker for the seller.  You really need to find out what the cause it and go from there.

If you want to get a UOA PM me.

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 9:11 AM, Bamacommander said:

Just had to add a 1/2 Quart of oil after just 2,000 miles from my last oil change. The truck has 7200 miles on it. I didn’t notice any oil usage during the first 5000 miles. I did add BG MOA with the last oil change as per the recommendation of the dealer. Is this oil usage normal for the 6.2? Any suggestions or comments would be helpful.

Apparently your dealer thinks they know more about the oil that is required than the folks providing the warranty.

Oh, wait, maybe it's because they are selling the additive -- and not gonna tell GM about it if there ever is an issue ---- like if an engine starts using oil?

OM says: 

Specification
Use full synthetic engine oils that meet the dexos1 specification. Engine oils that have
been approved by GM as meeting the dexos1 specification are marked with the dexos1 approved logo. 

We can debate brands, but as others posted GM currently is using Mobil1 -- and sells mobil 1 on their websites.

They also maintain a database of other brands that meet the various dexos specs.

https://www.gmdexos.com/index.html

OM also says:

Engine Oil Additives/Engine Oil Flushes
Do not add anything to the oil. The recommended oils meeting the dexos1
specification are all that is needed for good performance and engine protection.
Engine oil system flushes are not recommended and could cause engine damage not covered by the vehicle
warranty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

I bought a brand new 2019 gmc sierra 1500 denali with 6.2L engine but after 6 month of drive i find out after 4000 km of any oil change the low engine oil alert message pop up and all the time it losed 2 to 3 litre of the oil but after so many negociate with east side dealership and gm company they said its normal for all gm products.

Do u think 2 to 3 litre in 8 litre capacity is normal???

16 minutes ago, Amir lavassani said:

I bought a brand new 2019 gmc sierra 1500 denali with 6.2L engine but after 6 month of drive i find out after 4000 km of any oil change the low engine oil alert message pop up and all the time it losed 2 to 3 litre of the oil but after so many negociate with east side dealership and gm company they said its normal for all gm products.

Do u think 2 to 3 litre in 8 litre capacity is normal???

High miles on '22 6.2 here no oil consumption, check every morning before warming up my truck. Did you change your oil a few times early on to flush out the metal deposits from break in? Or did you change it every 7500 like the manual said?  I change mine every 2 to 4k or depending on time before miles ill do it early too. 

On 1/24/2022 at 7:37 PM, redwngr said:

Apparently your dealer thinks they know more about the oil that is required than the folks providing the warranty.

Oh, wait, maybe it's because they are selling the additive -- and not gonna tell GM about it if there ever is an issue ---- like if an engine starts using oil?

OM says: 

Specification
Use full synthetic engine oils that meet the dexos1 specification. Engine oils that have
been approved by GM as meeting the dexos1 specification are marked with the dexos1 approved logo. 

We can debate brands, but as others posted GM currently is using Mobil1 -- and sells mobil 1 on their websites.

They also maintain a database of other brands that meet the various dexos specs.

https://www.gmdexos.com/index.html

OM also says:

Engine Oil Additives/Engine Oil Flushes
Do not add anything to the oil. The recommended oils meeting the dexos1
specification are all that is needed for good performance and engine protection.
Engine oil system flushes are not recommended and could cause engine damage not covered by the vehicle
warranty.

I like mobil 1 because its $4-6 bucks a quart, sometimes less when on sale, and its approved to be used in these engines, so.  But, my real favorite is amsoil. 

• 3 months later...

Bought 2019 Silverado w 6.2 engine, my 2019 Yukon has same engine never had an issue. But my Silverado oil light comes on after about 2k miles, I check dipstick and no oil on stick, I add 2 quarts and it registers fine, then it's now time for first oil change I tell the tech about this. He checks the stick again no oil registering. Now I have to have an oil consumption log done every 1k miles not one mile over, if it happens again. They said I'm getting a new motor. Wow. Bigger question where is all that oil going? 

• 4 months later...

Try a different brand...Not all oils are alike.

PS - 22,025 miles and I have never added a drop of oil.  Change oil once a year or 15,000 miles using AMSOIL SS 0W-20.  I just checked my oil this am. 7,025 miles on this oil change and its still on the full mark.

Edited by elcamino
typo

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem.  Plus, the last oil change, the dealer only put in 6 qts.  I didn't notice it on the receipt.  Big surprise, awhile later, low oil light came on.  Took 3 quarts to bring it to full.

Took it to the dealer.  They gave it back saying they will do an oil consumption test and to bring it back in 2,000 miles.  No need for an oil change since it is full.

What the bleep!!  According to the service bulletin (yes, there is one) you must change the oil first.

Down at least 2 quarts or more for 4,000 miles and and this is the response.  BTW, don't contact GM, they do not add any value in solving the problem.

Lifelong GM customer.  Think this is my last.

• 6 months later...

My 2023 sierra 6.2 looses 1QT every 3000K. I know because every 3K miles I get the low oil message. When I check its always 1qt missing.  I have to add oil twice in between oil changes. The dealer says its normal. I think that's BS... otherwise I love the truck. Specially the engine and transmission. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wally perez said:

My 2023 sierra 6.2 looses 1QT every 3000K. I know because every 3K miles I get the low oil message. When I check its always 1qt missing.  I have to add oil twice in between oil changes. The dealer says its normal. I think that's BS... otherwise I love the truck. Specially the engine and transmission. 

Anyone with half a brain thinks so too. But it is GM policy. :(