Oil Consumption On New 6.2

Just had to add a 1/2 Quart of oil after just 2,000 miles from my last oil change. The truck has 7200 miles on it. I didn’t notice any oil usage during the first 5000 miles. I did add BG MOA with the last oil change as per the recommendation of the dealer. Is this oil usage normal for the 6.2? Any suggestions or comments would be helpful.

44 minutes ago, Bamacommander said:

Just had to add a 1/2 Quart of oil after just 2,000 miles from my last oil change. The truck has 7200 miles on it. I didn’t notice any oil usage during the first 5000 miles. I did add BG MOA with the last oil change as per the recommendation of the dealer. Is this oil usage normal for the 6.2? Any suggestions or comments would be helpful.

MOA is snake oil. Don't need it, don't use it. Foolish, the dealer recommends it because THEY SELL IT and made $ on the sale.  I u need to add something to the oil than the oil being used is not good.  

Edited by elcamino
typo
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bamacommander said:

I know other folks will tell you not to waste your money but I installed a JLT catch can and it does collect more oil than my other vehicles.  All direct injection (or boosted) engines should have a catch can, so that oil doesn't not go back into your engine.  A catch can is much cheaper than new injectors and other issues that burning oil can cause.  I use Amsoil in all of my vehicles.  I do not know who makes GM's oil but I have more faith in Amsoil and Mobil 1 oil for lubrication.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fatwhiteboy said:

I know other folks will tell you not to waste your money but I installed a JLT catch can and it does collect more oil than my other vehicles.  All direct injection (or boosted) engines should have a catch can, so that oil doesn't not go back into your engine.  A catch can is much cheaper than new injectors and other issues that burning oil can cause.  I use Amsoil in all of my vehicles.  I do not know who makes GM's oil but I have more faith in Amsoil and Mobil 1 oil for lubrication.

Mobil 1 manufactures Acdelco oil.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bamacommander said:

1.) There wasn't any OR you didn't notice? 

2.) Did you check the level before you left the lot after the change? 

Ask your dealer why he is using a GM specified and licensed oil in your new truck if that oil is defective. It must be if it needs a crutch, right?  The only help your oil needs is you paying attention to it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bamacommander said:

After the oil change I checked it the next day , and it was at the top of the dipstick. Checked it today,  about 60 days and 2000 miles later, and had to add 1/2 a quart .

You checked it cold, or after it's been off for at least 2hrs?

I've added oil thinking it needed it. Then the next morning I checked the oil again and it would read high. Letting it sit over night really does factor in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bamacommander said:

After the oil change I checked it the next day , and it was at the top of the dipstick. Checked it today,  about 60 days and 2000 miles later, and had to add 1/2 a quart .

Good! However, that didn't answer question #1. 

So...it didn't use any oil with out the MOA but does with it? :dunno:

How long had the engine been turned off before you checked the oil?  Iirc, the owners manual states the engine needs to be off for at least 15 minutes before checking the oil. 

Edited by Transient

When I check my oil, it’s always in the morning after the vehicle sits overnight. I check my oil fairly regularly. There was not any oil consumption for the first 5,200 miles, which is when I did the first oil change. I then checked it in the morning the day after the oil change and it was at the full level on the dip stick.  It’s about 2,000 miles later and I checked my oil , again in the morning , and it’s now a 1/2 quart low. 

Edited by Bamacommander
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bamacommander said:

When I check my oil, it’s always in the morning after the vehicle sits overnight. I check my oil fairly regularly. There was not any oil consumption for the first 5,200 miles, which is when I did the first oil change. I then checked it in the morning the day after the oil change and it was at the full level on the dip stick.  It’s about 2,000 miles later and I checked my oil , again in the morning , and it’s now a 1/2 quart low. 

Any differences in how it was used/operated in the last 2K. First time tow perhaps? Or anything for that matter that is different. Modifications? Different primary driver? Long high speed trip? Anything.....

On 1/22/2022 at 7:11 AM, Bamacommander said:

MOA stands for MOTOR OIL ADDITIVE and thats what it is a concentrated additive package booster. It's not snake oil per se' but it's not needed in a well formulated engine oil. 

B&G is a good company that makes good chemistry but their additives for engine oil are for problem engines where you are compensating for issues.  

The dealer is making extra cash on this stuff but it won't cause engine oil usage or damage anything. 

If indeed you are using oil all the sudden then take a oil sample with high quality oil analysis ( NOT BKlabs limited data because they don't offer ANY of the needed tests I mention) to find out what is going on. That means the oil analysis needs to provide FTIR data and Karl Fischer water reading and GC fuels reading. 

Unless you can pin down a reason via observation or MIL code or obvious cause then without oil analysis you will stumble in darkness of trusting guessing....

I'd contact Nick @ Black02Silverado  and get a good oil analysis done. 

Or keep guessing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tampering with the balance by adding other chemicals (additives) to engine oil can adversely affect overall oil performance, sometimes dramatically. 

My 2021 6.2L has gone 14,000+ miles and has not used any oil.

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1