2014 reliability

The truck I'm looking at, a 14 Silverado 1500, with 50k miles for $29,900. I've heard mixed reviews on the 2014 model year. Never know if it's just bad luck that some have had as with any other model year or legit. Can I expect the same reliability I had with my previous generation Silverado?

Interesting truck you are looking at and for two reasons. 

1.) I bought a 2015 with 1,300 miles on in for just under $20,000. Yes a few years back, like six. How do you feel paying

>50% over it's intrinsic value? Gets back to the difference between somethings WORTH and it's VALUE. You don't say what model/trim so it may be closer to 'fair'. Mine in bare bones WT1 2WD. 

2.) At 50K miles it is right at the mileage for severe service schedule execution. IF it's in very nice shape AND test drives really well you may be looking at a diamond in the rough. Meaning it hasn't so many miles on it that user abuse has taken the life out of it and you have a chance to correct or address some known issues BEFORE they become $$$$ problems. Only issue will be that doing so requires an "I care to" attitude and a remodeling budget which you are kind of speeding on the purchase price. Maybe. Your boots on the ground and I'm working with a limited description. 

The K2 can be a very nice reliable truck if preventative maintenance is properly approached. By now most of known faults have reasonable and effective 'fixes'. Just not from a dealer 😉 

I'd just have a hard time buying something I didn't really NEED at the top of a grossly inflated buyer crazy market. It's liking buying a house at the peak of the housing bubble a week before is burst. Talk about negative equity! 

I bought a 14 medium loaded for 27K before ttl. In 2013. I traded it in at warranty end. Best driving most fun and quiet. To much going on in the engine for my taste. To trust it outside of warranty. I wouldn’t buy any vehicle outside of certified pre owned. Unless it was like my Avalanche I bought for 6K. When you can buy a ride with CPO and warranty for less, I’d look there. Not many people have done more with vehicles than me as far as racing, building, and rebuilding. I’ve been burned twice. Lucky at the time I could do my own work to repair the problem. Ultimately I had new car money in a used car, even doing my own work. Unless a person can do their own work I wouldn’t advise anyone taking a chance on an non warranty used vehicle. Especially when you can buy a warranty vehicle for the same money.

15 minutes ago, steveo2155 said:

It is a crew 1500 4x4 z71. Looks very well taken care of. Are truck prices actually going to go down substantially in the near future? I'm not convinced they are. 

You will need a crystal ball for that. Or just flip a coin. IMHO, prices are not going to go down anytime soon. Inflation mixed with supply chain issues (chip shortage) are going to continue to be with us for some time to come.

Can I expect the same reliability I had with my previous generation Silverado?

Unfortunately, unless the previous owner is on the site, no one here can answer that question.

There are good ones, and bad ones with every model made.

My 14 was a good truck in the sense that it started each day and ran well, the flipside was the sunroof leak that they could not fix, and the electrical gremlins. My 16 was a great truck up to the point when the engine failed.

So far, the 18 I have now is head and shoulders above the other two for overall reliability and refinements over the model years.

The miles and amount asked look good, I would give it shot if you like it.

It's a rare find around here to get a CPO 17 or 18 with 50k miles for $35000. I just found one the other day and was going to look at it but it sold same day. Maybe I'll keep looking since it sounds like the 17 / 18 are quite a bit better than the 14? Besides front end styling, what are the other upgrades that make it worth it?

My other top option right now is a 2010 Silverado crew 4x4 with 34000 miles for $20k. In good shape besides rust was starting above rear wheels. The dealership had a locsl reputable body shop prep, treat and rust prevent before putting painted flares on. Obviously I'm sure at some point down the road the rust will spread, at which time either bedside replacement or new bed would be options. Compared to prices of 2014 and newer, I can't help but lean towards this one with the extremely low miles and decent price. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, steveo2155 said:

The dealership had a local reputable body shop prep, treat and rust prevent before putting painted flares on.

Would not trust this in any way. If the treatment was just spraying something on it to slow it down, it will resurface worse than ever soon. Rust never sleeps.

I've got a 14 Sierra SLT 5.3, had it since 16, put roughly 100k miles on it. It was certified pre owned I bought it with 38k on it.  For what it's worth, here's the issues I've had.

-Oil consumption @ 70k miles(all 8 rings seized on pistons), covered under warranty and fixed with updated GM pistons/rings.  Completely fixed the problem, has not used a drop since (I realize you will probably not have a warranty tho)

-Rear axle seals

-High pressure fuel pump

-AC Condenser replaced.  They all get a hole in them somewhere near a weld.  GM knows this and a good dealer should be able to get them to cover some of (or all, I honestly don't remember) the cost, even out of warranty.

-Mine never had a problem, but I had the GM updated transmission thermostat valve installed preemptively to prevent transmission failure.  Makes the transmission run cooler, valve was $70 or so.

That's all I can think of offhand.  That being said, I love the truck and would buy it again.  Truck has aged well, especially the interior.  GM has addressed this for 22, but my SLT plus interior is definitely nicer than my buddy's 19 SLT. Mine is mostly highway miles but does see mud occasionally and has towed on some long trips.  I'd say not the hardest life but definitely not the easiest either.  I Blackbear tuned mine once it was out of warranty and I probably wouldn't like the truck as much as I do if not for that, made it run night and day better.  I also probably wouldn't buy another one had the oil consumption not been covered under warranty.  I know not all of them do that though.  I have two great GM dealerships I work with that treat me awesome and really know their stuff.  Hope this info helps.

• Like 2

The 2010 I was looking at was worse in person. A couple other options arose - a 2015 Silverado 1500 lt crew 4x4 with 40k for $33k - is the 2015 much different than the 2014? Any of the first year bugs worked out? And the other option a 2011 crew 4x4 LT z71 with 40k original owner miles with a bunch of extras installed - tow mirrors, aftermarket tires/rims, leveling kit, etc - very nice rust free truck for $25k.

1 hour ago, steveo2155 said:

The 2010 I was looking at was worse in person. A couple other options arose - a 2015 Silverado 1500 lt crew 4x4 with 40k for $33k - is the 2015 much different than the 2014? Any of the first year bugs worked out? And the other option a 2011 crew 4x4 LT z71 with 40k original owner miles with a bunch of extras installed - tow mirrors, aftermarket tires/rims, leveling kit, etc - very nice rust free truck for $25k.

Don't think there is a lot of difference between the 14 and 15's, mostly cosmetics. Main reason I went with a 16 when replacing my 14 was the 15's did not have HD radio.

So, guess my question now is, what does your gut tell you to buy? Ultimately your money and decision to make, so which one would make you sleep comfortably at night owning (no malice intent on my part).

Well the 2010 turned out to be not rust free. Frame and wheel wells were starting. And the 2015 sold before I got a chance to look. But now came across a 2017 crew 1500 4x4 with 65k private party for 30k. Nada book value is over 37k. Would you have any hesitation buying a 5 yr old truck with 65k? It's seems like a good price