Tire blowout.. 43K

So I was just driving along this afternoon and had the worst tire blowout I have ever seen. My rear left panel and tailgate are wrecked. 

Backround, always rotated tires.. TPMS all normal, 43K On stock tires, no lifts or mods. 

Anyone seen this or know what to do? 

IMG_28052022_211335_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpg

IMG_28052022_211320_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpg

IMG_28052022_211257_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpg

IMG_28052022_211233_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpg

IMG_28052022_211157_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpg

• Sad 2

Nothing you can do really. They make hundreds of thousands of Goodyear tires every year, so the failure rate is small but can happen. Just look at all the blow outs of the side of the road from semi trucks. It can be a newish tire and all of the sudden something happens that upsets the structure of the tire and BAM. A minor tear in the lining, bad belt from the manufacturing process is all it takes when there is 80psi or 100+ psi in the tire.

You're tire didn't really even blow out though as it's still holding air, just the tread cap de-laminated which could be a manufacture defect that took a long time finally give out. Goodyear won't help you here, neither would a dealership so you'll need to contact your insurance company for this.

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen to a tire that had a slow leak and felt like it had thrown a weight. it actually blew out though with 80psi and over a ton in the bed it seperated the side of the bed from the floor and scared the dickens out of me. I'm surprised you didn't have a vibration before it came apart

Gotcha... Thanks guys. Yea, was holding 80psi and didn't have a vibration for about 10 minutes, pulled over and inspected everything and didn't have anything stand out..... Wasn't hauling, so definitely it just caught me off guard and figured I'd check here... 

Going though insurance now, sucks but oh well... Going back to Nitto tires. 

Goodyear sucks.  I will not keep a goodyear tire on any vehicles I buy.  We had tire sidewall and tread separation at about 30,000 on the goodyears on our impala that we bought new in 2012, car was only a little over 2 years old.   Dealer and local goodyear store said they saw it a lot with the goodyear tires.  I contacted goodyear, and they said their "performance tires" were not guaranteed against that type failure.  Luckily I caught it before it caused a blowout and possible wreck.  I made it a point, when I was using the locator, to find my new truck with any tires other than goodyears.  My 2020 had Michelins on it from the factory.  I had about 14,000 on the Michelins and just recently changed to a more aggressive tire.

My brother bought a 1974 Torino new after basic training. Going slow it would wiggle from new. Firestone tires. It got worse. While being stationed in South Carolina he worked part time at sears. He could  buy tires from sears at a discount among other things just being first married. Guess who made sears tires, your right Firestone. Turns out it was a major problem for Firestone and Sears. He finally bought bias ply tires. 

Edited by KARNUT

Looks like tread separation versus a road hazard.  Probably caused by dry rot.  Tires in Florida generally speaking have a maximum life of about 4 years regardless of miles.  

Glad you weren't injured.

the regional tire store in this area won't repair or balance tires older than 5 years. There are lots of used tire places in Fla  and other places selling questionable tires. after that blowout I said no more used tires and bought a set of new  Firestones

• Like 1

When we got my mother in law’s CRV it was 6 years old with 6K miles. I wonder about the tires. The manual says 7-10 years. I took it discount tires for a rotation they said they were fine. Even though there wasn’t any visual indication of wear I change to tires that were quieter. 

• Like 2

Makes no sense to me, a person has a bad experience with a product and that manufacturer is banned. Every manufacturer of every product, yes that covers all of them can make a bad one. Maybe that line of a product should be avoided but not every product they make.

I guarantee every male has had a bad experience with a female and they weren't banned. 😀

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2022 at 6:57 AM, LarryM said:

Gotcha... Thanks guys. Yea, was holding 80psi and didn't have a vibration for about 10 minutes, pulled over and inspected everything and didn't have anything stand out..... Wasn't hauling, so definitely it just caught me off guard and figured I'd check here... 

Going though insurance now, sucks but oh well... Going back to Nitto tires. 

I think the 20" tires max out at 70psi ..thats the max inflation on my 21 custom 2500

8 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Makes no sense to me, a person has a bad experience with a product and that manufacturer is banned. Every manufacturer of every product, yes that covers all of them can make a bad one. Maybe that line of a product should be avoided but not every product they make.

I guarantee every male has had a bad experience with a female and they weren't banned. 😀

When the local goodyear tire store and dealer say they see the issue a lot with that particular brand, and I have had issues with the same brand, that seems more than just an isolated incident.  I have had other issues with goodyear tires as well, had a set on my old 98 k2500 that wore prematurely despite being rotated every 5k.  What really griped my ass was how goodyear as a company responded.  After how they chose to talk to me as a customer with an issue with their tires on a car that was 2 years old, I decided that they must not want my business.