This unopened can in my fathers collection is service class CC SF circa late 1950's. 

One of the very early multi-grade oils

Dad had just sold his last two cans of Phillips Trop-Artic 10-20-30 to a collector. Note the way the multi-grade function was differently displayed. 

MonekyWards.jpg.d15bde864d13217f4b4cc4175739b54e.jpg

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/204/multigrade-oil

This is one of the most interesting articles I've read recently on the viscosity debate that is the undercurrent of many oil threads. I took note of both the the second writers statistical calculations and more importantly the closing few paragraphs. I will never doubt my 'gut' again on this topic. 

That vise the can sits on has a long and storied history. 

Show us what is hiding on the back self at your grandfathers place. 

• Like 3

I've got a whole box full of oil cans like that. Lots of Pennzoil cans, Phillips66 Trop-Artic cans and I think a few can of the Dexron transmission fluid. I think I got 20-30 cans at least, would have to dig them out to get some pictures.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

I've got a whole box full of oil cans like that. Lots of Pennzoil cans, Phillips66 Trop-Artic cans and I think a few can of the Dexron transmission fluid. I think I got 20-30 cans at least, would have to dig them out to get some pictures.

Please Cam? And any history you may have as well. COOL!!!!

I couldn't really tell you much history about the oil cans, wasn't able to ask many questions. We found them all in my grandfathers garage when he passed away about 8 years ago.

My dad and his brothers always said they owned GM vehicles, lots of wagons because it was a family of 8. So when we cleaned out everything we found all these old oil cans that he never used for all those older cars. I also got a lot of older mechanics tools from timing lights to old school voltage testers and equipment. I even have two water bags that you put on the grille of the vehicles during super hot weather, they are still in good condition.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CamGTP said:

I couldn't really tell you much history about the oil cans, wasn't able to ask many questions. We found them all in my grandfathers garage when he passed away about 8 years ago.

My dad and his brothers always said they owned GM vehicles, lots of wagons because it was a family of 8. So when we cleaned out everything we found all these old oil cans that he never used for all those older cars. I also got a lot of older mechanics tools from timing lights to old school voltage testers and equipment. I even have two water bags that you put on the grille of the vehicles during super hot weather, they are still in good condition.

Cam, when I was a youngster my Dad and uncle always had a canvas water bag handy during wheat harvest. For those young enough to be unfamiliar with them, they weeped just enough water to make use of the cooling effect of evaporation to give a nice cool drink. Their canvas water bag was retired once the advent of the plastic gallon milk container made for a frozen gallon of water that would give you ice cold water all day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is mainly all the stuff I have, might be more in another box somewhere.

Just about everything is 10W40, the 2 pennzoil cans are just 10W and the single mobil can is 5W20.

20220622_185241[1].jpg

• Like 2