2022 RST Speaker Replacement

2 minutes ago, SPASierra said:

Did you use the 2021 harness for the tweeters, or did you have to cut the wires? I really don’t want to cut them if at all possible. 

There are no adapter wiring for the dash speakers. You have to cut the wires and put spade terminals on.

7 hours ago, AleksanderSuave said:

what made you choose those over something like the CDT Unity 8.0's? They seem very popular in this specific application (GM, toyota, subaru..with odd sized corner mids instead of tweeters)

Specs, performance. Didn't want a 200 hz tweeter. Those frequencies are coming from the door speakers. DB (sensitivity) is much lower. The higher db the louder.  $100 more and won't sound better. I don't know if these will mount up in the dash holes correctly. These Unity 8.0 are mid/tweeter drivers really designed for home/car cabinets and boxes.

1 minute ago, SPASierra said:

I think it will. However, you'll have to verify with a dealer. The 2022 refresh has the new electrical architecture. Not sure if that changes anything on the audio side.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SPASierra said:

It is listed under the "NEW 2022" silverado category on the website as well.

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/electronics/2022-silverado-1500-audio-upgrade-kicker-subwoofer-system-crew-cab-extended-cab-all-audio/19417164-p-92320212.html 

this website specifically has been pretty good about parts fitment when I researched other items. However..my build sheet shows "UQF" for the radio code, which isnt on their list.  Calling the dealership can be hit or miss. I got the wrong part number twice for my front bowties last month from the dealership that sold me my truck.

Just now, AleksanderSuave said:

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/electronics/2022-silverado-1500-audio-upgrade-kicker-subwoofer-system-crew-cab-extended-cab-all-audio/19417164-p-92320212.html 

this website specifically has been pretty good about parts fitment when I researched other items. However..my build sheet shows "UQF" for the radio code, which isnt on their list.  Calling the dealership can be hit or miss. I got the wrong part number twice for my front bowties last month from the dealership that sold me my truck.

You might call them then. I think there are 2 different part numbers for the non-Bose trucks.

2 minutes ago, AleksanderSuave said:

Honestly, for that price I'd go with the LLJ Customs wiring harness, my own amp, and build an enclosure for a sub. 

2 hours ago, mjonesjr84 said:

Honestly, for that price I'd go with the LLJ Customs wiring harness, my own amp, and build an enclosure for a sub. 

I agree with you. I feel like these types of "factory supported solutions" are usually more about whoever paid the OEM for the endorsement and exclusivity, as opposed to best bang for your buck.

Going back to our main discussion, interestingly enough... Crutchfield says it doesnt fit, but Kenwood says it will, its a kit built specifically for GM vehicles and offers a properly sized dash mid and the 6x9 door speaker: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-iDkZMJLPicO/p_113XP6902C/Kenwood-Excelon-KFC-XP6902C.html 

Edited by AleksanderSuave

Are speaker replacement worth the expense and time? Can the factory radio support the upgraded speakers? I've always experienced higher quality sound must have an amplifier to be able to deliver the required power to achieve what the speaker are capable of producing.  Without adding or replacing the amplifier IMO the speaker replacement will be very minimal.

20 minutes ago, RedLT said:

Are speaker replacement worth the expense and time? Can the factory radio support the upgraded speakers? I've always experienced higher quality sound must have an amplifier to be able to deliver the required power to achieve what the speaker are capable of producing.  Without adding or replacing the amplifier IMO the speaker replacement will be very minimal.

I could tell a difference over the OEM Bose speakers. I will be adding an amp in the future to drive the speakers and have even better sound.

spacer.png

I ended up going with audiofrog for mine, GS690 for the doors (6x9) and GS25 widebands for the dash. Just in max volume alone, it is a significant increase. Quality is definitely impressive too. Listed to some avenged sevenfold and heard parts of the songs that I didnt even hear before when listening in the car.

For those of us who have non-bose (Im guessing here), the dash speaker wires differ from whats mentioned on page one.

They follow the same wiring as the front door speakers, so solid blue is positive, blue/brown is negative, passenger side is solid yellow for positive, and yellow/black for negative. 

I cut the wiring plug out of the OEM speaker, (leaving the cap soldered in), and soldered on some wires, with quick detach connectors to plug into the tabs on the speakers.

Edited by AleksanderSuave
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 6:54 AM, AleksanderSuave said:

If that kicker box sounds halfway decent and is easy to install I would maybe just do that......I have non boss

Tbh the base sound system in my new 22 refresh sounds better than my 21 did.....seems that way but still kinda meh.....

I replaced the speakers in my 21 with Crutchfield JL audios all the way around and sound improvement was marginally better.....I sure wouldn't do it again fir those same results.....

If I can throw a box in with better improvement and maybe get speakers dtl ......not an audio guy and really don't want to open up a can of worms and frustration

Okay so here is an update on my original post.

I was able to replace the door speakers with the exact ones from my 19 RTS.

I needed to purchase new dash speakers and went with Kenwood 2.75"  Had to splice but they mounted correctly.  Dash trim comes off much different that the 19.

I went to have my Rockford Fosgate 600x4 amp and Rockville 8" powered sub installed and ran into a bunch of issues.

1. The 22 Refresh has some type of amp in the center console area.  Tech said he would have to remove the whole console (full console with floor shifter) and it would be about 6 hours labor.  Nope.  Stopped that and reached out to LLJ for a custom harness.  Scanned the QR code and it has the IOK radio.  He is working on a harness for this model.

2. There is only 2 fuse spots that have ignition sense.  I am using them both for my fire department radios and controllers.  Had to have one installed.

3. The 3.0 diesel doesn't have much room on the passenger side firewall to punch through to run power.  Had them run power for the amp while they powered the sub.

Now, for those asking, the stock speakers aren't heavy enough to weigh down papers in my garage so replace them immediately.  The radio itself can power the new speakers and they are crisp but not much volume.  Had the update to fix the static.  New sub sounds very good (just needed a little thump).  Once I get the harness and time to install, I will update on the amp.  Dealer said not much info is out on the 22 Refresh yet.  Hope some diagrams and other info come soon.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, papasink said:

Okay so here is an update on my original post.

I was able to replace the door speakers with the exact ones from my 19 RTS.

I needed to purchase new dash speakers and went with Kenwood 2.75"  Had to splice but they mounted correctly.  Dash trim comes off much different that the 19.

I went to have my Rockford Fosgate 600x4 amp and Rockville 8" powered sub installed and ran into a bunch of issues.

1. The 22 Refresh has some type of amp in the center console area.  Tech said he would have to remove the whole console (full console with floor shifter) and it would be about 6 hours labor.  Nope.  Stopped that and reached out to LLJ for a custom harness.  Scanned the QR code and it has the IOK radio.  He is working on a harness for this model.

2. There is only 2 fuse spots that have ignition sense.  I am using them both for my fire department radios and controllers.  Had to have one installed.

3. The 3.0 diesel doesn't have much room on the passenger side firewall to punch through to run power.  Had them run power for the amp while they powered the sub.

Now, for those asking, the stock speakers aren't heavy enough to weigh down papers in my garage so replace them immediately.  The radio itself can power the new speakers and they are crisp but not much volume.  Had the update to fix the static.  New sub sounds very good (just needed a little thump).  Once I get the harness and time to install, I will update on the amp.  Dealer said not much info is out on the 22 Refresh yet.  Hope some diagrams and other info come soon.  

Thanks for the update.

I wonder if the amp in the center console is JUST for the small sub.

Keep us updated on what you hear from LLJ. I'll be looking to them after the first of the year for a harness for my refresh.

Just an FYI, if you are running your own wire through the firewall, removing the battery will give you great access to the passenger side spot to run it through.

I can tell you that the Kenwood 2.75 for the dash sound perfect. Just wire up to the stock amp and all is good.  The JL Audio C1's in the front and back doors sound a lot better as well especially when you turn the sound up a bunch. Very good sounding.  They have broken in well and hit harder today than a few weeks ago.  I just received my GM Kicker subwoofer today. I plan to install this over the weekend and will provide my feedback. I have the 2022.5 Sierra SLT with the premier Bose setup so I will give my honest feedback on it shortly.