2022 RST Speaker Replacement

4 hours ago, mjonesjr84 said:

The dash speakers are super easy in the refresh compared to the 19-21 trucks.

In my 2022 refresh with Bose, the front door speakers are 2 ohm while the dash and rear doors are 4 ohm. 

If replacing your dash speakers, there isn't a wiring adapter available. The driver side + wire is the blue with purple stripe. The passenger side+ wire is the white with yellow stripe. I used the PAC BB-2PR 600hz at 4 ohm bass blockers on the dash speakers.

To get to the dash speakers in a refresh interior, both A-pillar trims have to come off, then the speaker trim will pop up. The grills are connected to each other by the panel all across the dash. It pops up really easy. The HUD or Driver Alert trim comes off with it. There is enough wire that you don't have to unplug the Driver Alert light. See the picture for reference.

Just an FYI for those interested.

20220916_120413.jpg

That's good info and taking the leap. If possible maybe taking a sound clip of before and after new dash speakers.  Did you do the doors too?

Just now, RedLT said:

That's good info and taking the leap. If possible maybe taking a sound clip of before and after new dash speakers.  Did you do the doors too?

I didn't take any sound samples. It would be hard to tell on a cell phone video anyway.

I did do the doors. I did Kicker in there as well. I've got a pair of PowerBass 2ohm DVC 6x9's coming to see if the front doors sound better vs the 4 ohm Kickers. I've also got baffles coming as well for all the doors. That should make a difference as well since they have cones on them to get the sound directed towards the door panel grill instead of letting sound filter out behind the door panel.

The dash speakers had the + marked on them so it was just a matter of plugging the wire clip back in and seeing which wire was on the + side. I left enough wire on the factory plug so I could go back to it if I wanted to put the factory speakers back in.

The only down side to the bass blockers is the turn signal sound is quieter than without. I may take the blockers out to see what it sounds like without them.

On 9/16/2022 at 5:01 PM, mjonesjr84 said:

I didn't take any sound samples. It would be hard to tell on a cell phone video anyway.

I did do the doors. I did Kicker in there as well. I've got a pair of PowerBass 2ohm DVC 6x9's coming to see if the front doors sound better vs the 4 ohm Kickers. I've also got baffles coming as well for all the doors. That should make a difference as well since they have cones on them to get the sound directed towards the door panel grill instead of letting sound filter out behind the door panel.

The dash speakers had the + marked on them so it was just a matter of plugging the wire clip back in and seeing which wire was on the + side. I left enough wire on the factory plug so I could go back to it if I wanted to put the factory speakers back in.

The only down side to the bass blockers is the turn signal sound is quieter than without. I may take the blockers out to see what it sounds like without them.

Which door baffles did you get and can you post a link? Also which Kicker 6x9 door and dash tweeters did you use? Did you have the Bose system?

1 minute ago, mafd2 said:

Which door baffles did you get and can you post a link? Also which Kicker 6x9 door and dash tweeters did you use? Did you have the Bose system?

I went with these baffles front and back.

NVX XBAF65 Foldable Silicone 6.5" Speaker Baffle with Egg Crate Foam, one Pair/Box https://a.co/d/5xKRqMw

I used the Kicker KS Series so far in all 3 locations (6x9 in front door, 6.5 in rear door, and 2.75 in dash). The dash speakers came with the plates to mount them. 

I also went with these rear door adapters. They are a lot sturdier than the ones Crutchfield sent. They also move the speaker out closer to the door panel.

RED WOLF Front/Rear Door 6.5" Inch Aftermarket Speaker Update Install Speaker Adapter Bracket Spacers for Chevrolet 2006-2021, GMC 2006-2020, Some Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac https://a.co/d/7pDReV6

I do have a pair of PowerBass 6x9's coming to try in the front doors. They are a dual voice coil that can be wired to require 2 ohms from the amp. Since the front door speakers were 2 ohm, I'm hoping these help with the sound. The Kicker 6x9's sound better than the OEM speakers, but still not what I'm expecting. I know my expectations shouldn't be high without adding an amp, but our 2020 Equinox factory Bose system rocks (granted the Equinox is a 7 speaker system). If I can get the truck close I'll be happy.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mjonesjr84 said:

I went with these baffles front and back.

NVX XBAF65 Foldable Silicone 6.5" Speaker Baffle with Egg Crate Foam, one Pair/Box https://a.co/d/5xKRqMw

I used the Kicker KS Series so far in all 3 locations (6x9 in front door, 6.5 in rear door, and 2.75 in dash). The dash speakers came with the plates to mount them. 

I also went with these rear door adapters. They are a lot sturdier than the ones Crutchfield sent. They also move the speaker out closer to the door panel.

RED WOLF Front/Rear Door 6.5" Inch Aftermarket Speaker Update Install Speaker Adapter Bracket Spacers for Chevrolet 2006-2021, GMC 2006-2020, Some Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac https://a.co/d/7pDReV6

I do have a pair of PowerBass 6x9's coming to try in the front doors. They are a dual voice coil that can be wired to require 2 ohms from the amp. Since the front door speakers were 2 ohm, I'm hoping these help with the sound. The Kicker 6x9's sound better than the OEM speakers, but still not what I'm expecting. I know my expectations shouldn't be high without adding an amp, but our 2020 Equinox factory Bose system rocks (granted the Equinox is a 7 speaker system). If I can get the truck close I'll be happy.

Thanks for the info. Yea I wondered if using 4ohm speakers would lower the volume. I don't know of any 2 ohm 6x9's. Did the dash tweeters make a big difference?

3 minutes ago, mafd2 said:

Thanks for the info. Yea I wondered if using 4ohm speakers would lower the volume. I don't know of any 2 ohm 6x9's. Did the dash tweeters make a big difference?

The PowerBass 6x9's I've got coming today are 2 ohm. They have dual voice could that are 4 ohm each. They can be wired to 2 or 8 ohm depending on how you wire the voice coils together. I'll update how they are later today when I get them installed.

4 ohm speakers will lower the volume when the amp is looking for 2 ohm. It is weird that the other speakers are 4 ohm but the front door speakers are 2.

Yea, the dash speakers made a huge difference. The only drawback is the dash chimes (turn signals, etc) are lower. I think that has to do with the bass blockers I installed.

Edited by mjonesjr84
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mjonesjr84 said:

The PowerBass 6x9's I've got coming today are 2 ohm. They have dual voice could that are 4 ohm each. They can be wired to 2 or 8 ohm depending on how you wire the voice coils together. I'll update how they are later today when I get them installed.

4 ohm speakers will lower the volume when the amp is looking for 2 ohm. It is weird that the other speakers are 4 ohm but the front door speakers are 2.

Yea, the dash speakers made a huge difference. The only drawback is the dash chimes (turn signals, etc) are lower. I think that has to do with the bass blockers I installed.

I looked at the Power Bass 6x9. Says the 2 way fits but not the 3 way. That's weird... Both are 2 ohm. Did you order the 2 or 3 way? Do you have Bose or standard sound in your truck?

54 minutes ago, mafd2 said:

I looked at the Power Bass 6x9. Says the 2 way fits but not the 3 way. That's weird... Both are 2 ohm. Did you order the 2 or 3 way? Do you have Bose or standard sound in your truck?

I got these.

Powerbass OE-690D 6x9 Midbass OEM Replacement Speakers/Woofers (Pair) https://a.co/d/aeT4H3U

I've got the Bose system in my truck.

I installed the PowerBass speakers and ran them for a day. They sounded just ok. They almost had the same sound as the OEM speakers. They wouldn't fit with the baffles under the door panel. The PowerBass speakers specifically say in the instructions "Do not use with aftermarket amp". They also only have about 1/2 the RMS power handling that the Kickers have.

I wound up going back to the Kickers with the baffles. My plan changed a bit and probably next month I'll add an amp to power the door speakers so I get the full sound from them. I'll just have to keep in mind the volume will be a little louder until I add the amp.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

1 hour ago, mjonesjr84 said:

I installed the PowerBass speakers and ran them for a day. They sounded just ok. They almost had the same sound as the OEM speakers. They wouldn't fit with the baffles under the door panel. The PowerBass speakers specifically say in the instructions "Do not use with aftermarket amp". They also only have about 1/2 the RMS power handling that the Kickers have.

I wound up going back to the Kickers with the baffles. My plan changed a bit and probably next month I'll add an amp to power the door speakers so I get the full sound from them. I'll just have to keep in mind the volume will be a little louder until I add the amp.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Wow... thanks for the pics and the update. Was hoping for a better outcome on the PBbusing the 2 ohm jumpers.  Is the OEM front door speakers mid bass or 2 way? Can you hear the tweeters on the Kickers or are there factory Bose high frequency blockers? So the Kickers sound better but just not as loud because of being 4 ohm?  Maybe a low ohm 2 or 3 way would sound better.  PB has a 2 ohm 2 and 3 way which may sound better than the mid bass speaker.  Have you done anything with the rear doors? I think those are 4 ohm. I wonder if changing them to 2 ohm would help? 

Not going to say the Kicker's sound better, but there wasn't much difference with the PowerBass speakers. For the cost difference, I'll go with the Kicker's and add an amp to make them really sound better.

I did replace the rear door speakers with 6.5" Kickers. All 6 speakers in the truck match. The rears made a difference over the OEM ones. There was even more difference when I went with the baffles. The OEM rear and dash speakers are 4 ohm. Crutchfield didn't send rear speaker adapters so I went with these instead of the adapters that came with the Kicker speakers. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0811YYTNY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details They are much better built and move the speaker out closer to the door panel. With the baffles installed, there was a significant difference in sound from the rear speakers.

Edited by mjonesjr84

2 hours ago, mjonesjr84 said:

Not going to say the Kicker's sound better, but there wasn't much difference with the PowerBass speakers. For the cost difference, I'll go with the Kicker's and add an amp to make them really sound better.

I did replace the rear door speakers with 6.5" Kickers. All 6 speakers in the truck match. The rears made a difference over the OEM ones. There was even more difference when I went with the baffles. The OEM rear and dash speakers are 4 ohm. Crutchfield didn't send rear speaker adapters so I went with these instead of the adapters that came with the Kicker speakers. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0811YYTNY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details They are much better built and move the speaker out closer to the door panel. With the baffles installed, there was a significant difference in sound from the rear speakers.

Gotcha. I see powebass makes a 2 ohm 6x9 in 2 or 3 way. Thinking that would make a difference in the front doors over the 4 ohm idk. You think 2 ohm speakers in rear doors would work instead of 4 ohm?

Just now, mafd2 said:

Gotcha. I see powebass makes a 2 ohm 6x9 in 2 or 3 way. Thinking that would make a difference in the front doors over the 4 ohm idk. You think 2 ohm speakers in rear doors would work instead of 4 ohm?

Would 2 ohm speakers in the rear door work? Probably. The OEM speakers are 4 ohm, so if you are going to replace them, why not go with 4 ohm so you have a wider variety of speakers?