Not impressed.

Very nice cars but if something goes wrong very expensive to fix and hard to work on.  I was thinking ZL1 either generation but perfer 6 gen since I know the egine well from this damn truck.  Or V2 CTSV manual, 6gen SS and do heads, cam, pistons boost.  And C6 ZO6 with bolt ons and heads cam.

2 hours ago, pokismoki said:

I think these 1500's are already maxed out in stock form... you might want to start looking at a 2500 with all the upgrades youve done.  1500 just cant RELIABLY handle big wheels and power in a daily driver... all those mods put a ton of stress on the parts you upgraded too from stock..  1500 trucks are best left alone in stock form for daily drivers.   

Yeah that's just wrong lol

• Like 1

Some very good points made. Just frustrated having to replace a transmission at 50k mies. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so expensive (trucks). Guess that's a sign of the times. GM asks so much more $$ for a lot less of a pickup. Just can't like the new ones. They look like juiced up Honda Ridgelines. 👎

9 hours ago, pokismoki said:

they tend to fall apart when the screws are put them. , many components on the 1500 need  a lot of upgrades to handle more hp

I see ya have a bone to chew on here. 🤣

One of the things that made the 239 Flathead Ford indestructible was the inherent designs lack of breathing and ability to make compression. A little over a 3/4 horse per cubic inch in a really hot rodded motor. There are a few guys today getting closer to 1 hp/cid today and still stone axe reliable motors. 

Somewhere between million mile bone stock flatheads and 3 hp/cid NHRA Pro Stock motors that wouldn't go 30K in a street car is everything else not Koenigsegg with reliability to match power density and current states of the common arts. 

Ya gotta hand it to GM sometimes. The ECOTEC3 4.3 is duel fuel motor of 262 CID that stock at the flywheel is 287 hp on regular and over 300 as a tippler. Power density of mid 60's muscle cars with the reliability to meet the 200-250K expectations of most drivers today. Amazing!

That said they do not have allot of cushion built in because?  I got used up already. The nature of materials has not changed as fast as power density demands have. Today they are asking motors sized for a motorcycle to propel 1/2 tone trucks. But 8620 nickel gear steel is still the same. 

It really is helpful to have a touchstone of reference for such discussions. 

How many guys slapping turbos or blowers on a 5.3 take the motor down to increase the ring gap? Built into the cake with Detroit does it. But guys don't and break the thing and call it junk or weak. Pretty sure what is weak is the thinking behind the build and it's expectations. 

Please feel free to disagree.... 😉 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pokismoki said:

they tend to fall apart when the screws are put them. , many components on the 1500 need  a lot of upgrades to handle more hp

Other than the trans give me 3. Suspension is fine unless you are on 35s doing boosted 4x4 launches. Rear end is good for quite a bit of power. 

@Grumpy BearDisagree heavily with that one. It is so easy to put on a supercharger, without gapping rings, and moving on out with no issues. 

• Haha 1

the suspension in no great shakes, under sized brakes,  too much front bias, undersized steering links (dangerous for offroading) not good if your on 35"  

rear end is good, under utilized rear disc brakes is a waste..

i got a laundery list of other issues i cant recall it all

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 10:33 AM, pokismoki said:

i would look at a well taken care of AMG, comes stock with boost, upgrades easily , and just debadge it so you dont catch attention

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/mercedes-benz/unspecified/2606913.html

Most tards put AMG badges on their non-AMG vehicles and here you are suggesting to debadge a legit AMG?  Insanity.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, BlaineBug said:

Most tards put AMG badges on their non-AMG vehicles and here you are suggesting to debadge a legit AMG?  Insanity.

more fun when you de-badge a hot rod, and re-badge it as the  Base model with base model rims and tires... thats when the insanity begins,  and the tears start rolling

9 hours ago, pokismoki said:

more fun when you de-badge a hot rod, and re-badge it as the  Base model with base model rims and tires... thats when the insanity begins,  and the tears start rolling

If I had the desire to have a overly modified factory performance car again say like a hellcat. My first project would be to make it look like the V-6 version. Badging, wheels, wings everything. I only want to amuse myself. Not be a hey take me invitation every time I drive it. Have I done that before, yup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

If I had the desire to have a overly modified factory performance car again say like a hellcat. My first project would be to make it look like the V-6 version. Badging, wheels, wings everything. I only want to amuse myself. Not be a hey take me invitation every time I drive it. Have I done that before, yup.

In my day that is what we called a "sleeper".  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

2014 SLT, original owner. Had my first "real" problem last week, dealer had to replace the HVAC servo for driver side temp control. Otherwise just a few nickel and dime issues not worth mentioning. "But...but...but.... you should never buy a first year model change, too many bugs need to be worked out". Well I guess I got one of the good ones then. I have to confess, it only has 61,000 miles, lol!

• Like 1