Best streaming device?

wurgs

Cable prices around here are getting ridiculous, I am paying over $180 for internet and cable. I can get fast internet for about $80 and am thinking about subscribing to a few streaming services instead. I don't watch local channels anymore except local news which I can get online also.

Which streaming device would be the best? Roku? Firestick? Chromecast? Other?  

I thought about that but my 2 TVs are fairly new, just not smart TVs, and the streaming devices are pretty cheap compared to buying 2 new TVs. 

Direct tv stream. It’s 68$ per month for all TVs in your house and other devices. I even have it on my phone. The best part it has its own box for ten dollars more with a cable like remote. That will work the tv too. The box is yours  once it’s paid for. The box also handles your other streaming systems like Netflix and prime. The best part is no contract. You don’t like it cancel anytime. I’ve tried them all this is the best.

I have the fire stick, two Roku and a DIRECTV steam device on my only smart TV. The Roku is flawless the fire stick is kinda of a pain to use and lives in a spare room. The Roku is ok once you realize you have few buttons for navigation. Of course I’m cheap maybe the more expensive ones work better. The Direct TV stream box at 120$ or 5$ per month works like a cable or satellite remote. I had satellite for 20 years got tired of the games. Did cable for awhile hated it. But it was cheaper than satellite. DIRECTV stream is painless and competes with full service cable and satellite with its own control and box. Smart Tv is like having a Roku or fire stick. If have an over the air antenna of some kind.That will handle the local stuff. I watch some freevee or the other free stuff that comes with the Roku, fire stick, or smart TVs. Not really prime time, more blast from the past. My new and only LG smart tv doesn’t impress. I’m kinda of a TV junky and DIRECTV stream checks all the boxes for content, price for full service and ease of use. Especially if you’re not a technical genius. 

• Thanks 1

I always suggest an Apple TV box first, then ROKU. Don't waste time on any smart TV, even if you have one, the separate box is a better alternative, especially if you're running a home theater especially with a projector. The apps on the boxes will be updated more often, have better functionality over time and are not crippled like some SmartTV apps.   Some SmartTv apps can suffer from lower picture quality.

Another plus for the box/stick is that you can transport them anywhere that has internet connectivity and use it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, txab said:

I always suggest an Apple TV box first, then ROKU. Don't waste time on any smart TV, even if you have one, the separate box is a better alternative, especially if you're running a home theater especially with a projector. The apps on the boxes will be updated more often, have better functionality over time and are not crippled like some SmartTV apps.   Some SmartTv apps can suffer from lower picture quality.

Another plus for the box/stick is that you can transport them anywhere that has internet connectivity and use it

I have no experience with Apple TV. Have you with DIRECTV Stream? If the Apple deal is better I’d like to know. I agree with the smart TV, not impressed.

Only experience with DTV has been customers that have complained about the service in general. So it's not scientific.

i would expect they would have a decent streaming box

You can get a 4K 32gb for about $90 before or around  Black Friday. Currently $120. Recently was $100 around Prime Day.

It does process"4k" signal better, imo than other devices. Of course it depends on your internet supplier. Often the stream is being compressed so they can jam more users in, picture quality suffers.

If you can shop price, I'd get one and try it. Current model has the Apple A12 chip in it. Rumors are there is a new model in the very new future, so a cheaper price may be had soon. Always check to see what chip is in the box. Some sellers are portraying earlier 4k versions as "current model".

I'm still running cable at the house. Streaming packages don't save me any money, cable priced the same for same channels. I own my own equipment so no rental charges at each TV. I do subscribe to some streaming apps. That's where Apple comes into play. I've got more options of things to watch than I have time to watch them.

I was a big Chromecast user at first. Stayed away from Apple just because it was Apple, but once I tried Apple, I'm sold. Customers prefer it. I still use Chromecast for casting certain things at our Church and other places

Forgot to mention, I've got all my equipment connected via ethernet including Apple. I wire all my houses and stay away from wireless as much as possible

Edited by txab

1 minute ago, txab said:

Only experience with DTV has been customers that have complained about it. So it's not scientific.

You can get a 4K 32gb for about $90 before or around  Black Friday. Currently $120. Recently was $100 around Prime Day.

It does process"4k" signal better, imo than other devices. Of course it depends on your internet supplier. Often the stream is being compressed so they can jam more users in, picture quality suffers.

If you can shop price, I'd get one and try it. Current model has the Apple A12 chip in it. Rumors are there is a new model in the very new future, so a cheaper price may be had soon. Always check to see what chip is in the box. Some sellers are portraying earlier 4k versions as "current model".

I look it up. Apple and oranges. Apple is like Roku. DIRECTV Stream is like satellite but Streaming. I’d had both satellite and streaming. I have a very good Wi-Fi service and is priced very reasonable. It’s fiber optic. I have no complaints with DIRECTV stream. My roku and fire stick were under 50$. My Roku is flawless. Fire stick not so much. The DIRECTV stream box also does Netflix and prime. I get HBO Max with it too. My full service with WiFi is around 140$. Running 4 TVs, two IPhones and an IPad. My satellite was that much with less service. I’m always looking for better so keep it coming.

• Like 1