Outside Temperature Reading

GN2018

Does it matter that my outside temperature reading is off?  It’s generally ready about 5 to 7 degrees higher than the outside temp.  Of course, having OCD, this drives me crazy, but does it effect anything?  I’m wondering if maybe the air conditioning/heater is impacted by the outside temp when in auto mode, or if anything else is.  Not really worth taking to the dealer, but a bit irritating nonetheless.  Is this common?

I have been waiting for a post like this.  It was the first thing i noticed in my 2022 refresh.  it is off consistently 8-30*.  Twice after I got it within a week, i mentioned it to the dealer when i took it back for the stereo issue and they completely ignored me.   Ambiet was mid to high 90s and the truck read 115 one day and 127 the next, both on my 45 minute commute home.    GM has really sh1t the bed with these trucks.  

The temperature sensor is in the bottom of the passenger side mirror. If you're parking in the sun it's going to read higher or if it's in the shade it might be closer to actual. Once you start moving then air moves over it and adjust accordingly. All past temperature sensors I've ever seen in factory installed vehicles are in the grill area in front of the radiator. I'm not sure why they moved it to the outside mirror on these trucks.

7 hours ago, GETGONE said:

The temperature sensor is in the bottom of the passenger side mirror. If you're parking in the sun it's going to read higher or if it's in the shade it might be closer to actual. Once you start moving then air moves over it and adjust accordingly. All past temperature sensors I've ever seen in factory installed vehicles are in the grill area in front of the radiator. I'm not sure why they moved it to the outside mirror on these trucks.

You would think so, that’s how past cars I’ve owned have worked. My truck though is still off 5-10 degrees after driving for 2 hours over a mountain pass in overcast conditions.

It doesn’t matter if it’s 50 outside or 110, it still reads high no matter how far it’s driven or where it’s parked. Obviously it reads really high if parked in the sun all day, but it cools down to normal 5-10 high after driving it.

I haven’t really noticed it hurting anything besides being really annoying, but I never remote start either.

8 hours ago, Zedicus16 said:

You would think so, that’s how past cars I’ve owned have worked. My truck though is still off 5-10 degrees after driving for 2 hours over a mountain pass in overcast conditions.

It doesn’t matter if it’s 50 outside or 110, it still reads high no matter how far it’s driven or where it’s parked. Obviously it reads really high if parked in the sun all day, but it cools down to normal 5-10 high after driving it.

I haven’t really noticed it hurting anything besides being really annoying, but I never remote start either.

Same here.  Doesn’t matter how long I’m driving, it never settles in at the actual temp like I’ve had with other vehicles.

This is all going to depend on where you are getting your weather data from.  The truck is probably more accurate than you think unless you've got a weather station at your house or are pulling local weather data from someone who has one running on weatherbug or weatherunderground, etc.  

If I look at weather.gov for example, they pull their temperature data from our local airport even if I search for my zipcode.  There is a temperature discrepancy right there from the airport to where I live.  

On 9/14/2022 at 5:12 PM, GN2018 said:

Does it matter that my outside temperature reading is off?  It’s generally ready about 5 to 7 degrees higher than the outside temp.  Of course, having OCD, this drives me crazy, but does it effect anything?  I’m wondering if maybe the air conditioning/heater is impacted by the outside temp when in auto mode, or if anything else is.  Not really worth taking to the dealer, but a bit irritating nonetheless.  Is this common?

Are you determining the outside temp using a thermometer beside the truck? 

Official temperature quoted by local weather station or airport is not likely gonna be the same as the truck's locaiton

I live in S.E. Michigan 13 miles away from the airport. I think it unlikely that there would be a significant difference between the airport reading and my actual reading. However, I happen to have a couple very accurate thermometers and for the sake of discovery, I’ll hook one to my mirror and get a reading.  Can I get a confirmation that the truck’s temperature gauge is in the driver side mirror?  If not, where is it?  I would want to mount my thermometer near the truck’s. Thanks. 

21 hours ago, GN2018 said:

Can I get a confirmation that the truck’s temperature gauge is in the driver side mirror?  If not, where is it?

It's on the bottom of the PASSENGER side mirror.

• Thanks 1

Place a thermometer next to the passenger mirror and compare the readings after a set amount of time. This will give a reading at it's current place regardless what news or weather app says. The truck temp and the thermometer should relatively be the same/close.