Looking for input on a tonneau cover.

Looking for advise/suggestions on purchasing a tonneau cover. Having never had one I'm really not sure what's good or bad.  I have been reading some on them and trying to learn some of the pro and cons for each. I really like the low profile look of the retractable covers but I have heard they can freeze and that the canister fills with grime and creates issues. Is this true? Then that leaves a soft fold or hard fold. I prefer the look of the hard folds but I have an 8" bed and don't want to end up having to get on top the bed to lift the last panel because of its weight. Not real keen on the roll ups either. Asking for suggestions and recommendations from those of you that have actually owned them.  Thanks

Just from my experience, Hard fold is very nice. I had the BakFlip MX4 and it was nice, looked nice, cleaned nice. Then it hailed for about 3-5 minutes and not a harsh hail. Just a light hail and there were dimples all over the cover. My truck at the time did not receive one dent. 

Bak Flip is a nice cover, but I would stay away from it if you are in a hail prone area or planning to place anything remotely heavy on it with sharp edges or corners. 

The undercover elite is also a good cover. 

I know you said you’re not fond of roll ups but they are easy to roll back to get full bed use and keep things dry under it. Security isn’t the best so if you’re in a questionable area, that’s a negative. 

I went with the ProX15 from Truxedo. It’s very nice and extremely low profile. The material is way nicer than most fold ups. It’s like convertible top material. 

• Like 2

I have the bakflip on my truck. I would recommend a retractable like a roll-n-lock. For most of the hard folding covers the foam bumpers fall off in hot weather causing the top to get scratched up when folded. I’ve had this happen on four different covers.
Also, a point of consideration is the type of tailgate on your truck. I would recommend a cover that you can still have access to with the tailgate closed. I have had issues with my automatic tailgate with the last issue being a total failure to open while at the dealership. If your tailgate won’t open and your cover requires an open tailgate then you are in a bad spot. 

1 hour ago, ssgballistics said:

I have the bakflip on my truck. I would recommend a retractable like a roll-n-lock. For most of the hard folding covers the foam bumpers fall off in hot weather causing the top to get scratched up when folded. I’ve had this happen on four different covers.
Also, a point of consideration is the type of tailgate on your truck. I would recommend a cover that you can still have access to with the tailgate closed. I have had issues with my automatic tailgate with the last issue being a total failure to open while at the dealership. If your tailgate won’t open and your cover requires an open tailgate then you are in a bad spot. 

Yeah that would suck big time. At least with the roll back you could undo the Velcro and pop the latch if needed

i had a manual Roll-N-Lock cover on my Dodge. the 5th wheel hitch fit just under it.  Could be opened without the tailgate, or the tailgate could be opened by releasing the lock on the cover without opening the cover.

It was awesome up to winter, when snow turned to ice and froze the whole mechanism solid.  One time it froze up so bad, I hooked a hose to the water heater, and just kept a spray of water over and in the box until it freed up.  Then I kept the truck in a heated garage for a couple of days to dry things out.  Worked great, right up until the next big winter storm two weeks later... lol

I had a "love-hate" relation with that cover.  Loved it summer through fall.  Hated it winter and spring.

Bed-Cover-1.jpg

Bed-Cover-3.jpg

I got the Extang SolidFold 2, not because it was the most high tech but because it’s look perfectly matched the Chevy HD Custom I got. Looks OEM on my truck. It’s the opposite of low-profile. It’s tri-fold which gives it a modern look. I agree that some of the roll ups are the most practical, and almost chose that. 

I’m around a lot of trucks that get heavy use, and most of them have low-profile covers. In those conditions they can start looking tore up quick.

The SolidFold 2 feels solid and I like the solid sound it makes when I close it. Sounds like decking. It also has done a great job keeping out water.

One drawback, like all covers, mine dents easily.

I really like the Truxedo Sentry CT. It's an aluminum roll up with a canvas top, so it has some security of a hard cover but it's very light and easy to roll up, and getting the full use of my bed without having to have a flip-cover block the rear window is a huge plus. The canvas is pretty good looking material and has held up in Midwestern US winters for me. It wasn't cheap but I'm very happy with it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried out 3 different covers on my truck already in the year that I have now owned it.  I started with a cheap Gator brand soft roll up cover.  It wasn't bad for the price, but wanted something a little more secure for when we traveled.  Stepped up to Gator EFX hard fold cover next.  It was an all around nice, solid cover.  Only changed out from it to get one that would open all the way up for full bed access.  I recently got a Bakflip MX4 based of some of my buddies having them on their previous trucks.  I've got to say, I'm not very impressed with the new MX4; it is made way cheaper than what they used to be compared to what my buddies had.  It feels cheap, and the side seals on it constantly pop out of the joints where the panels fold.  Also seems really stupid to not have one of the panels latch down, I can get my finger under it from the side and lift up and gain bed access.  Also the latches aren't super tight, leaving a lot of slop in the panels.  Not impressed at all for the price paid.  The old Gator was overall better quality.

Been looking at Roll-N-Lock and REtrax covers recently, as well as Agri-Cover Lomax Stance as replacement.  I can't quite talk myself into going with retractable though.  May go with the Lomax Stance next.  Granted this is my experience so far on a standard bed truck.  I think I'd have a totally different outlook if I had an 8' bed.  Like you mentioned; a hard fold on an 8' bed would probably be pretty hefty to mess with.  Paragon's are pretty nice also, may want to look into them as well.

I've had the Bakflip Revolver X4 on a couple trucks so far, love it.  Keeps everything clean and dry, rolls up out of the way while still leaving plenty of visibility in the rear window.  Pulls off the truck completely in only a few minutes.  Overall, very satisfied.  

I do live in a cold climate, so the one negative is that in freezing temps, with precipitation, the cover won't want to roll up sometimes.  If there is any sun at all, or you leave your ride in the garage at night, shouldn't be a huge issue.  

• 1 month later...

I've had a number of covers on my trucks in the past.  Most recently, I've had the BakFlip MX4 folding and Retrax.  I currently have the BakFlip and while it's a decent cover, the down sides are if you tow a 5th wheel camper, there's a high chance of catching the cover on a hard turn and breaking a rubber cover hinge while also damaging the nose of the camper... don't ask how I know.  It other downside is that it completely blocks the back window to have full access to the bed.  The Retrax was a fantastic cover and will probably be the next cover I own for my 8' bed 2020 3500hd.  Very sturdy, flush with the bed and secure in any position.  The only downside I found was the space it took up for the cartridge at the front of the bed.  Pricey but well worth the expense.

I'm a fan of the Diamondback covers. They are pricey but are also more secure than other options if you want to store expensive gear in your bed. I like that I can carry my ATV on top of the cover and store gear under it while towing my travel trailer.

https://diamondbackcovers.com/products/diamondbackatvr?variant=29046282057

They also state that their covers can hold up to 2 ATVs with a weight under 1,600 pounds. But from what I read in the owners manual our trucks box walls are only rated for up to 1,000 pounds. So keep that in mind.

I’ve tried three different covers. The first one was the Revolver. That didn’t hold up too well to weather. The rain and sun got to in 2 years. I replaced it with the MX4. That one was nice but you can’t see pout of your back window if it’s flip all the way up. I believe they make them now so they can be easily removed. The last two I bought is the X15 low pro. I love this cover. I have one now on my 2500 and had one on my F150 before that. It’s light, looks good, looks difficult to break into and blends in to the trucks lines and color perfectly.