Cold start one second long awful engine sound

It’s really sad, but I don’t trust my dealer to properly change oil or rotate tires because as said above the personnel used are questionable. I’ve had loose plugs, loose filters, messy jobs done, and lost hub covers (which are expensive). Bigger stuff I’m forced to gamble, but oil changes and rotations I’d rather do myself. The risk of catastrophic error is high and the people doing the work are questionable. 

Edited by Another JR
Typo
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, newdude said:

Is the oil level good?  On your paperwork, is there a p/n of the oil used?  Did they install a PF-63 filter?  

Can you give us a video of a cold start?

Without hearing it I'm leaning towards normal.  Its the oil pump that is making the noise.

14-06-04-004H: Various Engine Noises During Cold Start and Warm Engine Operation - (May 12, 2022)

Oil Pump Cold Start Rrrrp or Rasp

The oil pump design has changed from a gerotor gear type pump to a two-stage vane type pump for fuel economy reasons. At temperatures at or below 0°C (32°F), or when the engine has been sitting for a few hours, it is possible to have air enter the pump through normal oil drain back. Upon startup, the owner may hear a short “Rrrrp” or “Rasp” coming from the front of the engine. It is most often heard during a remote start.

There is nothing wrong with the oil pump or oil system. No repairs should be attempted for this condition.

Your wealth of knowledge is super helpful on this forum. Thank you 

That notice mentions the oil pump was changed for gas mileage reasons. Do you think it will be as reliable as a traditional pump? Upon replacing one eventually could a traditional pump be used in its place or no?

Edited by Pryme
  • Like 1

Yes thanks @newdude

I had thought it was the high pressure fuel pump making the noise.  My local dealer heard it and said "yep, that's normal."  Since 90% of his business is HD commercial fleet, I figure he knows what he's talking about.  Nice to have an outside confirmation. :cheers:

8 hours ago, newdude said:

Is the oil level good?  On your paperwork, is there a p/n of the oil used?  Did they install a PF-63 filter?  

Can you give us a video of a cold start?

Without hearing it I'm leaning towards normal.  Its the oil pump that is making the noise.

14-06-04-004H: Various Engine Noises During Cold Start and Warm Engine Operation - (May 12, 2022)

Oil Pump Cold Start Rrrrp or Rasp

The oil pump design has changed from a gerotor gear type pump to a two-stage vane type pump for fuel economy reasons. At temperatures at or below 0°C (32°F), or when the engine has been sitting for a few hours, it is possible to have air enter the pump through normal oil drain back. Upon startup, the owner may hear a short “Rrrrp” or “Rasp” coming from the front of the engine. It is most often heard during a remote start.

There is nothing wrong with the oil pump or oil system. No repairs should be attempted for this condition.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/233720-cold-start-noise-on-66-gasser/

There is a video in the linked thread. It is about 8 posts down. The noise I am talking about is at about the 6 second mark in the video.

1 hour ago, Flatus said:

There is a video in the linked thread. It is about 8 posts down. The noise I am talking about is at about the 6 second mark in the video.

Its the oil pump rasp.  And its normal.  That piece from the bulletin I referenced explains it.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, newdude said:

Its the oil pump rasp.  And its normal.  That piece from the bulletin I referenced explains it. 

I get that and did read the service bulletin.  What I don't understand is why it didn't do it before I had the dealer change the oil at 2500 miles.  That's my main question.  What's different?  What kind of oil did Chevy put in them from the factory?  It apparently is different then the Ac Delco full synthetic 5W-30 that my dealer used.  That noise only showed up right after the oil change.  The oil is full, the filter is AC Delco as well.  I'm thinking GM put some kind of additive in from the factory.  What are your thoughts?  I actually might try a 0W-40 or a 5W-40 synthetic HDEO oil to see if it quiets it down a bit.  They say the sound is normal, what happens long term?

Edited by Jettech1

5 hours ago, Flatus said:

Yep that's it.  Dealer told me the same as Newdude said. 

So now I sit in the kitchen and remote start it while it's in the detached garage (about 40' from the house). 

As Sergeant Schultz said... "I hear nothing!"  😉

I thought it was a cam lobe issue for the high pressure fuel pump.  I went through the whole flat cam days, and was a bit worried.  Barely got the words out of my mouth when the Service rep explained the issue.  He had a lot of fleet people asking the same thing.   Would have been nice if GM sent out a note.  They send me notes every month telling me the rear tire pressure is too low... lol

• Like 2

On your paperwork, is there a p/n of the oil used?  Did they install a PF-63 filter?  

I have (personally) seen dealers put GM parts numbers on a invoice but they did not use GM parts. They use some aftermarket part they acquired locally but used GM part numbers for billing purposes ($).  This very common especially when it comes to oil changes.  My mothers car came with a Fram oil filter on it after local dealer oil change. 

Edited by elcamino

I wonder if the filter they use at the factory is a different spec from what the dealers receive?  AC Delco filters are the cheapest 1s on the shelf at Walmart which tells me they are probably Chinese  junk, Are the dealers using these same filters? (I still use the WM filters)

I’m hard of hearing. It’s more higher sounds kids talking for instance. Low sounds are normal. Ticking type noises are background noise. One day I was in the garage when my wife started her car. It sounded like a cold morning start with conventional oil after sitting for weeks. I ask how long has it been doing that? She said since new, 12 years ago. I’d try different oils like Amsoil and a wix filter. If the noise is still there, it’s normal. If it isn’t normal it won’t last the warranty period. 

Edited by KARNUT

12 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I get that and did read the service bulletin.  What I don't understand is why it didn't do it before I had the dealer change the oil at 2500 miles.  That's my main question.  What's different?  What kind of oil did Chevy put in them from the factory?  It apparently is different then the Ac Delco full synthetic 5W-30 that my dealer used.  That noise only showed up right after the oil change.  The oil is full, the filter is AC Delco as well.  I'm thinking GM put some kind of additive in from the factory.  What are your thoughts?  I actually might try a 0W-40 or a 5W-40 synthetic HDEO oil to see if it quiets it down a bit.  They say the sound is normal, what happens long term?

It got cold as you said it got cold outside.  The common symptom in that bulletin is at, around 32F and below.  

They don't add any additives unless they pitch you one like BG.  GM uses 5w30 from the factory.  Use 5w30.  The 5.3 and 6.2 use 0w20 and the pump still makes the noise, as do the Camaros/Corvettes that use 0w40.  

Nothing happens long term.  The only oil pumps I've seen replaced on Gen 5 V8s are for the variable control solenoid failing.  

Edited by newdude

10 minutes ago, newdude said:

It got cold as you said it got cold outside.  The common symptom in that bulletin is at, around 32F and below.  

They don't add any additives unless they pitch you one like BG.  GM uses 5w30 from the factory.  Use 5w30.  The 5.3 and 6.2 use 0w20 and the pump still makes the noise, as do the Camaros/Corvettes that use 0w40.  

Nothing happens long term.  The only oil pumps I've seen replaced on Gen 5 V8s are for the variable control solenoid failing.  

How much is that solenoid and how easy is it to access? Just taking mental notes for possible future needs. Thanks newdude