In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2022 Silverado LTZ (Refresh) sound upgrade

2 hours ago, SPASierra said:

There are no plugs available for the dash speakers yet.  There is another thread where they say the '19-'21 plugs will work in the doors, but they aren't an exact fit.

I was able to find mine! Black and grey. Just put my order in for John at [email protected]. After hearing horror stories from LLJ 

AE9E8477-8AEB-4982-9995-056471366E54.jpeg

On 1/10/2023 at 9:48 AM, SPASierra said:

There are no plugs available for the dash speakers yet.  There is another thread where they say the '19-'21 plugs will work in the doors, but they aren't an exact fit.

Even the 2019-2021 trucks didn't have plugs for the dash speakers. You have to cut the factory plug off and then add terminals on the ends of the wires to attached to the dash speakers. Just leave enough wire on the plug to reattach them if you put the stock ones back in. That is what I did along with adding a 600mHz bass blocker to the Kicker dash speakers.

I can confirm that the door plugs for the 2019-2021 DO in fact work on the 2022+ refresh trucks. I used them on my 2022 LTZ refresh to install aftermarket speakers in all 4 doors.

16 hours ago, Daniel Formichelli said:

Damn, those look like they would work. 

I didn't cut the plug off anyways.  I just spiced into the wire a few inches before the plug and taped off the plug.  If I ever sell the truck, I'll just remove the new wire and put electrical tape over the area where I split the jacketing.

12 hours ago, Daniel Formichelli said:

Yeah they have some great items for the Silverado's/Sierra's.  Plus Don is an awesome guy and very helpful!

Dude you’re a life savor. I didn’t want to do the install cutting the factory wire. Just preference. THANK YOU!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone tried running new speaker wires when installing an amp?  I discovered that the Silverado has a molex plug on the cab side of the door grommet, so you can't just run the wire through the grommet into the door like we used to do in older vehicles.

The first time I ran into this was in my Camaro.  I just ended up drilling a hole in the molex plug to run the new wire through.  I have not disconnected the plug to see if I can do the same thing in the truck.

Edited by homermacleod

On 1/10/2023 at 11:22 AM, Baymax0317 said:

I was able to find mine! Black and grey. Just put my order in for John at [email protected]. After hearing horror stories from LLJ 

AE9E8477-8AEB-4982-9995-056471366E54.jpeg

The harness that you get from John connects to the Bose amp which is behind the back seat on the cab wall.  You'll need to remove the seatback to get to it.

I don't know exactly what the module is in your photo, might be the radio tuner.  I also saw that in the passenger footwell when pulling a wire for the amps I'm installing in my '23 Sierra.  I'm still waiting for an amp rack (Monday) and then I can actually start swapping in the new parts and pieces.

Good choice on going to John for the harness.  I was going to go with that other company but kept hearing the same negative reviews and then I stumbled upon one of his YouTube videos and then reached out to him.  After a few emails back and forth he had it mailed out pretty quick.  As I was still assembling parts for my install, I wasn't in a rush but it was still nice to get prompt service.

5 hours ago, Rick Pardo said:

Posting to follow OPs progress - i have the same stock setup in my truck.

@homermacleod - are you making any changes to the head unit? i haven't been able to find any aftermarket replacements yet. I am thinking maybe stereo upgrades will be software on this version since it's all Android.

No, I have not seen anything available for the refreshed trucks yet. 

I went with an amplifier with a built in dsp and found an add on HD Radio unit.

• 1 month later...

Quick update. 

Got all the speakers installed, installed another set of USBs to power my ambient lighting, installed 2 12v sockets, and made a mount for my radar detector (won't mount it to the windshield because I got it tinted with ceramic tint).

Just took out the rear seat today to see if there is room to build an amp rack and mount my 2 amps to it.  Has anyone built an amp rack to go behind the rear seat back?  Any tips or suggestions?

Toying with the idea of mounting the hd module under the front passenger seat.

The only hold up with my sound upgrade is the LLJ harness (still waiting for it, 3 months now) it's only a month past the initial promise date for shipping.  I wish pac or metra would hurry up and start making stuff (harnesses) for our trucks.  I just bought a pac harness for my brothers F150 and made my own loopback harness ($60 bucks all in for the harness) including the speedwire and tesa tape. Only took about an 2 hours to solder everything together and tape up.

• 4 months later...

It's been a while since I updated this.  

The harness from LLJ finally arrived towards the end of April.  To make a long story short, the harness took way to long to arrive, when it did actually arrive, it was not made as I ordered and upon further research, it was not made correctly at all.  None of the wire color matched their wiring diagram and some wires were not connected to anything (hooked up the wire pair to a 9v battery and none of the speakers popped).   LLJ was totally unresponsive to inquiries and did nothing to fix the faulty harness that they sent me.  I ended up calling my credit card company and getting my money back.

For those of you looking for a harness, look elsewhere.  Check out all the reviews and the Better Business Bureau before buying from LLJ Customs.  I referred some people to John at AIS and they got their harness is a timely manner and John actually communicates with his customers.

Getting back to my install.  I ended up figuring out the harness situation and am finally getting closer to finishing everything up. 

I made an amp board out of 1/4" acrylic and got everything mounted up.  The only thing left is to run the power wire, ground and then get the dsp set up.  After all that it done, I will be moving on to the HD radio install.  Hopefully everything will be done this weekend.

Heres a few pics:

JL C2 650 - front door

image.jpeg.8099a14a3d19a4f4ade78bbbcc04a7eb.jpeg

Amp Rack

image.jpeg.cc522914924c39dd65586b0620a15bf1.jpeg

Radar Detector Mount

image.thumb.jpeg.cfc36c7c374a67923202f31503c29226.jpeg

Extra USBs

image.jpeg.9793f1421eecc8523c110841834f9121.jpeg

12V Sockets (2)

image.jpeg.a866b2003c0efe0ef401613a21303e74.jpeg

• 4 months later...

I have a 23 Silverado ltz with Bose and big screen I have speakers from an old truck for front, rear doors and dash. Is it a worth while upgrade to replace stock bose speakers with my Hertz speakers which are 4ohm and very efficient, 92 db with stock amp. My installer is waiting for a harness to add a 6 channel amp? Would this improve sound? Would I lose any chimes, etc? Would things sound distorted? I also wanted to disconnect factory sub and add a kicker mono amp and sub? I want to run the sub from 25hz to 250hz. Installer was going to take signal from back door, run it into kicker keyloc and then amplifier. Thanks. 

Edited by traderfjp
Typos