Considering shipping new truck from Laura

outrag1

Laura Chevrolet has a 2023 coming in that meets most of my requirements.  They are in MO and I'm in MA.  Their new truck price is about 5K below MSRP.  In the Northeast, there were no discounts at all.  Laura was also the highest so far on my trade by several thousand.  Does anyone have confidence that shipping a vehicle from MO to MA and picking up my trade on same truck carrier would work OK?  Laura says the shipper would deliver new truck and pick up trade at same time.  Does anyone have any recommendations on shippers?  I know Laura must have one but I just want to do the thorough research.  

I've bought many new vehicles but never went through a shipping process.  Driving to MO (or flying) is not in the cards so I need to rely on the shipping process and trust Laura's quotes, etc.

Any thoughts appreciated. 

Bob

• Like 1

Lots of folks on this and other forums have purchased from Laura and I cannot recall a bad experience or review.  Mine own experience was favorable, they were responsive to my emails and sent photos of every view asked for though I ultimately selected another vehicle.

Fly in and drive it home, take a kid or two if you have them, memories for a lifetime.

• Thanks 1

Driving out and back would be ALOT cheaper than shipping, going to use up most of the 5k savings in shipping charges. I did upstate ny to grand rapids Michigan for under 400$ in fuel dropped trade was at dealer around a hour.

Glad to see you found one though, think that was one of the dealers i sent you, amazing the price differences outside of ny ma nh areas. 

My last 4 vehicles bought have been out of state. My wife has said when i retire from my current job i should be a finder/delivery person as i enjoy tracking down the good deals and like driving.

Shipping i have heard mixed reviews over the years that's one reason why i never decided to deal with shipping.

Edited by Kevin0311
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something to keep in mind is what happens if the shipper gets in an accident and either of the vehicles are damaged? Some companies will take responsibility for both, some recommend you keep insurance on your trade until you get your credit or cash? You will need to read any fine print on shipping you sign for regarding who is responsible for damage to either vehicle. I would definitely take a weekend and just drive to pick it up and do the deal in person.

• Thanks 1

Have you checked quirk? They're starting to come around on pricing.

I feel pricing has to drastically change, if not now then very soon.

Having said that I just purchased from someone same distance as laura.

No trade.

Shipping was supposed to be $820, wound up at $870 and that was pulling teeth to get there. Shipping went fine in the end.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, steve8 said:

Have you checked quirk? They're starting to come around on pricing.

I feel pricing has to drastically change, if not now then very soon.

Having said that I just purchased from someone same distance as laura.

No trade.

Shipping was supposed to be $820, wound up at $870 and that was pulling teeth to get there. Shipping went fine in the end.

Thanks and I agree that dealers around here will start coming down to earth in the near future.  I'm seeing more and more new inventory each day, so that makes sense it will happen.  I have two identical units I could look at an hour away from me but their new pricing and trade value is roughly 8-10K more than Laura.  That's significant.  

I had a bad experience with Quirk many years ago and choose not to do business with them.  

• Like 1

Laura uses their own transport company.  They gave me an estimate of $1400 to ship the new vehicle and pick up my trade at my house.  Distance is about 1300 miles each way.

• Like 1

I live outside of Philly, and drove out to Laura in October to pick up my '22 Refresh Denali.  They were far cheaper than anywhere in the area, had exactly what I wanted, and gave me a great price on my trade.  I drove it out, dropped it off, and drove my new truck home.  The entire experience was painless.  I have plenty of vacation time at work, so I took 2 days off to do it.  Drove out Sunday, stayed at the Hampton Inn right down the road, picked up the new truck Monday, drove home, used Tuesday to clean it all up.  

• Like 4

I'm probably going to Laura Chev for my next truck.

Dealers around here ( Minneapolis area) never have what I want to trade my 22 LTD High Country for (loaded High Country 6.2 minus supercruise, multi flex gate,  $3600 wheels.)and most discounts are only $2000-$4000. The $3600 wheels option is a total ripoff IMO.

My dealer in town has 7 High Countrys. No 6.2s, a few are basic with no options. 3 3.0s and 4 5.3s. 

I asked if I ordered what I want it could be 4-6 months. Sad.

As far as shipping, no way.

Looks like you are around 1200 miles from Laura.  Leave early Friday grab a motel nearby, then show up at Laura first thing Saturday, do the deal and head home. Not a big deal if you ask me. Good luck whatever you end up doing.

Screenshot_20230201_125808_Maps.jpg

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

I'm probably going to Laura Chev for my next truck.

Dealers around here ( Minneapolis area) never have what I want to trade my 22 LTD High Country for (loaded High Country 6.2 minus supercruise, multi flex gate,  $3600 wheels.)and most discounts are only $2000-$4000. The $3600 wheels option is a total ripoff IMO.

My dealer in town has 7 High Countrys. No 6.2s, a few are basic with no options. 3 3.0s and 4 5.3s. 

I asked if I ordered what I want it could be 4-6 months. Sad.

As far as shipping, no way.

Looks like you are around 1200 miles from Laura.  Leave early Friday grab a motel nearby, then show up at Laura first thing Saturday, do the deal and head home. Not a big deal if you ask me. Good luck whatever you end up doing.

Screenshot_20230201_125808_Maps.jpg

The ordering lead time is sad.  I'm seeing more and more trucks hitting lots now though, but up here in the Northeast they're holding onto higher price points.  I went out of state last time too and saved many thousands.  The trip to MO is further though and I'm not as young as I used to be haha, so going straight 19 hours each way is something I need to think about.  Why do you say No Way on shipping?

Edited by outrag1

Because I just don't trust a shipper. Is it on an open trailer?

What about crappy weather this time of year? Here's your new truck sorry it's filthy.

You can drive there and back for half the price of a shipper.

Don't you at least want to see the truck in person first?

The drive home will be the test drive.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

The drive home will be the test drive.

That was the best part of me going to get it myself.  Got solid seat time in my new truck, and learned how it handled more than a dealership test drive.

6 hours ago, outrag1 said:

Laura uses their own transport company.  They gave me an estimate of $1400 to ship the new vehicle and pick up my trade at my house.  Distance is about 1300 miles each way.

If they'll do the $1400 for both ways and 8-10 less grab it!

Who cares your truck is on open transport? How do you think it would get to your dealer down the road if you ordered new?

I got 5k off, $870 to ship, $1200 in cc points.

Still a far cry from the 10k I think the discounts should be, but I finally caved and a hell of a lot better than msrp around here.

• Thanks 1