6.6 Gas - choosing Flowmaster exhaust

On 6/19/2023 at 10:57 PM, Jettech1 said:

Your comment of very little if any drone still scares me off.  I think I'm just going to stick with the garbage can exhaust for now.  I love the way it sounds and no drone at all.  With our big towing trip this August of around 3k miles round trip, there is no way that I'm going to be kicking my own ass the whole way.  Nope.  Staying safe for now but I do appreciate your findings here.  Thank you very much for that!

Thanks.  reality is with aftermarket exhaust unless its something real mild it all has drone,  sort of the point in a way as it louder.  But will say this set up is probably one of the better if not best ones ive had

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 10:54 PM, AngelPhoenix said:

Anyone know if these will fit a 2024? I imagine yes, I doubt anything has changed with that part of the truck, but most websites say no, though that's probably only because they haven't actually physically tested them on a '24. 

hard to say it is a new mode.  New trans and such routing could be different. But any muffler shop could probably make anything work.  Cheap alternative is to buy  a muffler only and have a shop switch that out with an aftermarket one

3 minutes ago, nards444 said:

hard to say it is a new mode.  New trans and such routing could be different. But any muffler shop could probably make anything work.  Cheap alternative is to buy  a muffler only and have a shop switch that out with an aftermarket one

Cool, that makes sense. I actually really like the sound of the stock exhaust, I just have a thing for dual tips 😅

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

I just installed a Borla S-type Cat Back on my 2023 Silverado 6.6 gasser and it sounds AWESOME!!!

Absolutely no drone when cruising interstate at 65-75 mph.

installed with my wife helping me took less than an hour.

BORLA ROCKS!

56 minutes ago, Pryme said:

Speaking of exhaust. Now that it’s getting down into the teens the stock exhaust sounds 10x better when it’s still warming up in really cold temps than summer time.

I actually love the way the stock exhaust sounds.  I just wish it was 150lbs lighter is all...lol..

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, wsrutherford said:

Has anyone just done away with the stock muffler, using a muffler eliminator, and left the system completely stock, tailpipe and all?

It would sound awful and with terrible drone. At least a straight-through bullet resonator is needed.

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

I beg to differ. These engines sound pretty good without a muffler. If the cats are still in place there is really no drone at all.

I have put in 2 exhausts and made one custom for these 6.6 gassers. Your perception of drone must be a hell of a lot different than mine.

The mbrp droned so bad while towing. I had to add an additional packed resonator to my most recent setup to eliminate the rasp as well. The oem muffler is chambered super well, I was impressed when I cut it open. These engines drone and rasp like crazy without any resonance reduction.

2 hours ago, the8rotor said:

I have put in 2 exhausts and made one custom for these 6.6 gassers. Your perception of drone must be a hell of a lot different than mine.

The mbrp droned so bad while towing. I had to add an additional packed resonator to my most recent setup to eliminate the rasp as well. The oem muffler is chambered super well, I was impressed when I cut it open. These engines drone and rasp like crazy without any resonance reduction.

I'm glad I just waiting on this whole exhaust topic.  My only goal was to get rid of that trash can sized muffler but I didn't want drone of any kind and I actually love the way the factory muffler sounds.  I guess I'll just have to get used to looking at it when I slide under the truck because drone is not for me at all!!!  Especially the long trips we tow our camper....that's a hard no!

9 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I'm glad I just waiting on this whole exhaust topic.  My only goal was to get rid of that trash can sized muffler but I didn't want drone of any kind and I actually love the way the factory muffler sounds.  I guess I'll just have to get used to looking at it when I slide under the truck because drone is not for me at all!!!  Especially the long trips we tow our camper....that's a hard no!

My current setup, IMO, sounds amazing. I have had a lot of compliments on the sound as most people think it's stock. Low grumble, zero drone, most importantly I saved a ton of weight getting rid of that trashcan muffler.

• Like 1

I’ve modified exhaust on every V-8 up until my current Avalanche. It’s old enough that the muffler is like a performance muffler. I only had drone on two. My 94 Impala had a drone only at 50 mph in OD. Not a problem it didn’t live at 50. Otherwise is was mellow. The second was my trailblazer ss after removing the resonator. It was probably from being a SUV. I turned around right away and had it put back on. Most of my trucks after the 90s had single in dual out exhaust with a performance muffler, no drone. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen no mention that all 3 flowmasters say no go on 2022 hd with gooseneck option. Was going with that till I seen that. I called their tech service and they had no recommendation with factory gooseneck option. So now considering just replacing huge trash can with a flow master muffler only or looking at the mbrp but last few posts make me wary of mbrp. Would prefer dual but I’m guessing with factory gooseneck option that presents issues? So far no one has posted a flow master muffler only swap. Anyone have any experience? Tech service made no recommendations. I have seen 1 video of one done with a series 44 but only shows stationary not moving or inside. 

Edited by Cvettr
  • Like 1