Wired IPhone Charging

'22 Sierra SLE HD.

At home, I can use a wireless charger or a wired charger for my IPhone. Nothing required beyond plugging it in or laying it on the wireless charger.

When in the truck, I can access CarPlay (wirelessly) without having to do anything with the phone (other than having to have it turned on, of course). I do not have wireless charging, so have to charge with the compatible cord.

However, every time I wish to charge the phone, after plugging it in I am required to actually open the phone by entering my password. Most times I forget to do this, just plug it in and lay it on the console, so after the trip, the phone is no more charged than when starting the trip. This is no doubt due to not routinely charging the phone very often when in the truck.

So my questions are, why do I have to do the password thing for charging only? And, is there a setting or something that I can change to allow this charging without a password?

Thanks,

Marv

On 5/30/2023 at 9:16 PM, marpel said:

'22 Sierra SLE HD.

At home, I can use a wireless charger or a wired charger for my IPhone. Nothing required beyond plugging it in or laying it on the wireless charger.

When in the truck, I can access CarPlay (wirelessly) without having to do anything with the phone (other than having to have it turned on, of course). I do not have wireless charging, so have to charge with the compatible cord.

However, every time I wish to charge the phone, after plugging it in I am required to actually open the phone by entering my password. Most times I forget to do this, just plug it in and lay it on the console, so after the trip, the phone is no more charged than when starting the trip. This is no doubt due to not routinely charging the phone very often when in the truck.

So my questions are, why do I have to do the password thing for charging only? And, is there a setting or something that I can change to allow this charging without a password?

Thanks,

Marv

I have an Android and I never have to put the password in to open it up so it will charge.  Hopefully someone with an Iphone will chime in here and help you.

Settings - Face ID and Password - Allow access when locked - switch on “Accessories”

The bad thing about leaving your phone in this configuration is if someone connects it to a computer they would have at least some access to your phone data. 

Another JR,

Thanks for the info. However, what does "connects it to a computer" mean? Are we talking, actually taking the phone (like stealing it) and hardwire connecting it to a computer, or some sort of remote method?

If I have a choice between someone potentially accessing data, or remembering to enter my passcode, I would prefer the latter, even though it is a bit of a pain.

Marv

Have the wireless android auto and charger but plug it in when it needs to be charged......wireless charger is kinda useless

Takes forever

3 minutes ago, Dunn said:

Have the wireless android auto and charger but plug it in when it needs to be charged......wireless charger is kinda useless

Takes forever

I don't have the wireless charger in my custom model but using the USB-C port works like a champ.  Mine chargers fast as hell using that port.

Cables make big difference too....quality ones work way better than cheapos.......am sure there is technical reason or something 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dunn said:

Cables make big difference too....quality ones work way better than cheapos.......am sure there is technical reason or something 

I totally agree, I went through a bunch of cables before my Android would even connect with my truck... they are fickle as hell...

On 6/2/2023 at 4:25 PM, marpel said:

Another JR,

Thanks for the info. However, what does "connects it to a computer" mean? Are we talking, actually taking the phone (like stealing it) and hardwire connecting it to a computer, or some sort of remote method?

If I have a choice between someone potentially accessing data, or remembering to enter my passcode, I would prefer the latter, even though it is a bit of a pain.

Marv

If someone connects the phone to a computet with a USB/lightning cable, the phone normally asks if you want the computer to be able to access the phone and you have to unlock it. By changing the setting I described, you are telling the phone to allow accessories to connect when the phone is locked. I was warning you that changing that setting may allow a computer to access the phone. I don’t know if that’s the case because I haven’t tried it. You could change the setting and then try connecting the phone to your own computer via USB/lightning cable and see what the phone does. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 6:25 AM, marpel said:

Another JR,

Marv

snow rider 3d

I try to connect my phone to my computer via USB cable/lightning cable but only data transfer or file sharing can't access the phone.