Lane Keep Assist, ping pongs

Notice that Lane Keep Assist on my 2023 GMC Sierra, doesn't do very good at keeping you centered in your lane, it will Ping Pong from both sides of the lane, is this what most everyone is experiencing, or is there a adjustment that makes better at keeping you centered?

4 minutes ago, wxman13 said:

Notice that Lane Keep Assist on my 2023 GMC Sierra, doesn't do very good at keeping you centered in your lane, it will Ping Pong from both sides of the lane, is this what most everyone is experiencing, or is there a adjustment that makes better at keeping you centered?

I think that’s why the call it lane keep assist.

• Like 1

Yea I'm not looking for automation, just wondering if it was normal for it sway back and forth from both lines, my car does a good job of keeping center for roughly 10-15 seconds, the lane keep assist I'm experiencing with the truck, doesn't start any correction until you are already on the line

Edited by wxman13

1 hour ago, wxman13 said:

Yea I'm not looking for automation, just wondering if it was normal for it sway back and forth from both lines, my car does a good job of keeping center for roughly 10-15 seconds, the lane keep assist I'm experiencing with the truck, doesn't start any correction until you are already on the line

My Honda is the same way. It has semi self driving. It great on trips without the adaptive cruise. You actually guide it towards the line. It does reduce fatigue on long trips. 

3 hours ago, wxman13 said:

That's the way Lane Keep Assist is supposed to work.

It's not intended to keep you centered.

It is intended to notify if you are drifting out of lane and to help nudge you back.  

It will do nothing if the blinker is used before the edge of lane is reached.

If it detects driver is not steering it will alarm.

If you come to a curve it will not keep you from driving off the road. 

There is a multi-page explanation in the owners manual about LKA (lane keep assist) and LDW (lane departure warning).

If you prefer a PDF instead of paper manual, download is available from gmc/chev websites.

If you want centering and cornering you are a candidate for Super Cruise.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses, no desire for super cruise, and yes I found the writeup in the manual, it's working as intended, guess I just thought it should work similar to my Honda Accord, which does a descent job of keeping the vehicle centered in the lane for 10-15 seconds

• 2 weeks later...

Might be looking at a Ford for my next truck.  My wife's Escape doesn't have "Blue Cruise"/just lane keep and it'll basically drive itself.  Would be great for long trips

If it's drifting more than desired maybe get the alignment checked out. I turn off Lane Assist in the city, it's annoying to fight with it when making a sudden reaction to avoid objects or potholes on the road.

On 6/13/2023 at 10:15 AM, Rob Mugs said:

Might be looking at a Ford for my next truck.  My wife's Escape doesn't have "Blue Cruise"/just lane keep and it'll basically drive itself.  Would be great for long trips

Just get a comma3. You are in the year window it would work if you have LKA and ACC. 

For sh%#s and giggles I tested the LKA function on a '23 1500.

Found that hands 'off' it takes fewer edge corrections before it warns and demands hands on wheel

(compared to the K2's; don't think I ever tested this way on the '21 T1) 

Edited by redwngr