3rd most stolen vehicle

New story here in the PNW recently stated that the Silverado was the 3rd most stolen vehicle in 2023, right behind two Hondas. No other information beyond stats.

I know that the Kias have a vulnerability that is being used to steal them (but I guess they're not as desirable as our trucks). Do anyone have any info on what it is about our trucks that makes them easy enough to take that they ended up so high on such a list? Double edged sword I know, to report such a thing. But being forewarned is forearmed. It would be nice know what I can do to keep the thieves away from my truck.

4 hours ago, TrueBlue said:

New story here in the PNW recently stated that the Silverado was the 3rd most stolen vehicle in 2023, right behind two Hondas. No other information beyond stats.

I know that the Kias have a vulnerability that is being used to steal them (but I guess they're not as desirable as our trucks). Do anyone have any info on what it is about our trucks that makes them easy enough to take that they ended up so high on such a list? Double edged sword I know, to report such a thing. But being forewarned is forearmed. It would be nice know what I can do to keep the thieves away from my truck.

A Kia isn't as desirable as the lug nuts on a Silverado.

1 hour ago, MTY55 said:

A Kia isn't as desirable as the lug nuts on a Silverado.

In my 50 years of driving I’ve had more GMs than any other vehicle. A few Fords, a 1/2 dozen Chrysler-dodge vehicles. One AMC, 4 Mazdas. Probably over 150. At least 3/4 were high performance. I’ve seen quality come and go. Since the 2000s I’ve had 4 Hyundais, 1/2 dozen GM trucks one Ram one Mazda, one Toyota, 2 Hondas. The Hondas I didn’t buy and one Acura. I’m pretty knowledgeable when it comes to vehicles. I’m not counting my toys during that time. I wouldn’t own a new GM full size truck past 2006 unless it’s a smoking deal. My last GM full sized a 2014 it took 15k off before I took it home. A year later I traded it in for a Hyundai Santa Fe. Much better value. I wouldn’t own any new full sized truck all overpriced. My experience since the 2000s. Toyota, Hyundai, Mazda and their affiliates are the best cars and SUVs. Nissan is coming up. Toyotas Tacoma is the best midsize truck. Ford has the best heavy duty. That’s based on my customers and my brother. He runs 19 Row crews. Half ton trucks are a crapshoot between GM, Ram, and Ford. If I had to buy a new one. Who ever had the best deal. Right now that Nissan, yup Nissan. No cylinder deactivation and a high horsepower V-8. I buy extended warranty on those and unload before it ran out. I’m retired I don’t half to buy a new one. So my avalanche is do just fine. Kia lug nuts. I stay with the 20 that’s on my Genesis, thank you. 

IMG_0011.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Yet here you are, in a forum for trucks much newer than what you keep. Crappin' on threads to which you have nothing to offer.

I seem to recall other posts like this last one of yours. Envious? Or just like discord?

Edited by TrueBlue
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

Yet here you are, in a forum for trucks much newer than what you keep. Crappin' on threads to which you have nothing to offer.

I seem to recall other posts like this last one of yours. Envious? Or just like discord?

I think If I have 4 vehicles to choose from I’d be far from envious. When someone rags on a vehicle I feel obligated to inform them that what they say is far from the truth. My vintage Acura Intagra type R is worth a few coin. So yeah not envious. Believe me when I say I wouldn’t dream of swapping my Avalanche for any problematic new 1/2 ton. Most people who follow these threads have other brands of vehicles besides GM. All mine are different. If I feel if a brand is being disrespected I’m going to speak up. I do the same on other enthusiast sites I’m on if warranted. What I speak is the truth and easy to check out. If you can’t deal it’s not my problem. 

It's not the defense of the brand that is out there here. It's your tendency to go on and on about what you own and have experienced. In threads that have nothing to do with what you're talking about. Most people in forums like this are here to learn. Others are here to give back. I for one would appreciate it if you could either stay on topic on my threads, or at least wait until someone with knowledge about the issue at hand has had the chance to help me and others. And btw, you're not the only one with 50+ years of vehicle ownership with dozens of makes and models. But that particular truth about me does not help me to get to the bottom of this issue, nor does yours. Difference being that I didn't include it and you did. You want to be helpful and give back Stan? Stay on topic when you can. Or at least most of the time. None of us is perfect. I get that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

It's not the defense of the brand that is out there here. It's your tendency to go on and on about what you own and have experienced. In threads that have nothing to do with what you're talking about. Most people in forums like this are here to learn. Others are here to give back. I for one would appreciate it if you could either stay on topic on my threads, or at least wait until someone with knowledge about the issue at hand has had the chance to help me and others. And btw, you're not the only one with 50+ years of vehicle ownership with dozens of makes and models. But that particular truth about me does not help me to get to the bottom of this issue, nor does yours. Difference being that I didn't include it and you did. You want to be helpful and give back Stan? Stay on topic when you can. Or at least most of the time. None of us is perfect. I get that.

I believe you said Kia’s aren’t as desirable as GM trucks. That’s true trucks are generally more popular than cars and SUVs. Your thread wasn’t what I responded to. It was MTY55. Who responded to your thread. If you want to keep your truck from being stolen. That’s easy, a hidden kill switch. Personally if someone damages my vehicle breaking into it I don’t want to see it again. By the way I have my device set to read threads as they come. The vehicles in my designated thread are bulletproof and don’t break down. I had 5 in the 2000-2006 time period. I’d be bored to tears.

To get this back on topic, I found out that the ECM is easy to access by ripping back the drivers side felt fender liner. The thieves swap an ECM they have the fob for and then are able to unlock and drive off with the vehicle. I found this on ebay for much cheaper than they are listed on their site by bidding on it instead of doing a buy it now. I didn't like the idea of having to use bolt cutters to get off the one time lock they provide. I put a weather proof padlock on it instead so I can reach up in and unlock the padlock. I also changed out the cover screws from just phillips screws to a mix of allen and security allen screws and put nutserts in on a couple instead of the clip nuts. It was a bit of a pain to install since I had to tweak the brackets to get it to sit where it should. The biggest issue is you have to mount the ECM with double site tape and the transmission computer sits on top and you use double side tape to hold it on as well. I installed it about 8 months ago and no issues so far. This is their website: https://croclocecm.com/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TrueBlue said:

Grumpy Bear is like that.  He owns a previous generation half ton with a V6, but still pops in these subforums every now and then. 

Getting this thread back on topic, this report about stolen vehicles is published annually.  The Silverado is consistently at the top.  When you actually read the source data you find out it's 2006 and older trucks.  Iirc, one way to steal these trucks is to take a tennis ball with a small hole drilled in it and place the hole against the key cylinder in the door.  You then press the tennis hard and quick to pop the lock.  You can then either hot wire the truck or use something like a screwdriver in the ignition switch to get it running so you can steal it.  These are just rumors I've heard and don't have any actual experience with this.  It's fortunate or current trucks don't have key cylinders in the doors.

Edited by Transient
  • Like 1

From what I have seen the thieves  replicate the fob signal that is usually in your house. With a laptop

they have to get close enough to the fob. That usually means walking around  outside until signal is found.

They'll take signal to the  truck and take it.

You can solve that problem buying a faraday bag to put your key fobs in.

2 hours ago, Transient said:

Grumpy Bear is like that.  He owns a previous generation half ton with a V6, but still pops in these subforums every now and then. 

Getting this thread back on topic, this report about stolen vehicles is published annually.  The Silverado is consistently at the top.  When you actually read the source data you find out it's 2006 and older trucks.  Iirc, one way to steal these trucks is to take a tennis ball with a small hole drilled in it and place the hole against the key cylinder in the door.  You then press the tennis hard and quick to pop the lock.  You can then either hot wire the truck or use something like a screwdriver in the ignition switch to get it running so you can steal it.  These are just rumors I've heard and don't have any actual experience with this.  It's fortunate or current trucks don't have key cylinders in the doors.

Well there you go. Complain about people coming on a thread when you don’t have the exact model year truck. Then giving information that’s way off the mark for a different model. How easy is it to get into a locked 2006 or older truck? I’ll tell you. Get a long rod. A coat hanger will do. Take the other hand pull the top door frame out slip the rod down hit the unlock button. I know because I’ve done it. I can probably do it with newer ones. Can’t say haven’t done it. Wonder what they do about the alarm going off? Now you know why I come on these threads. Someone who doesn’t know anything gives an answer like use a tennis ball. 

3 hours ago, Sneaky pete said:

From what I have seen the thieves  replicate the fob signal that is usually in your house. With a laptop

they have to get close enough to the fob. That usually means walking around  outside until signal is found.

They'll take signal to the  truck and take it.

You can solve that problem buying a faraday bag to put your key fobs in.

I've seen that done for newer vehicles.  They'll hold a large loop antenna up near your house or garage doors and scan for a signal.  It's common with newer Toyota and Lexus vehicles.  Once they have the signal they're able to replicate with the laptop.  These key fobs and push to start ignitions definitely make this an area for concern among GM owners, but, again, when you look at the report details it's not the newer GM rucksack that are leading the stolen vehicles category. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Well there you go. Complain about people coming on a thread when you don’t have the exact model year truck. Then giving information that’s way off the mark for a different model. How easy is it to get into a locked 2006 or older truck? I’ll tell you. Get a long rod. A coat hanger will do. Take the other hand pull the top door frame out slip the rod down hit the unlock button. I know because I’ve done it. I can probably do it with newer ones. Can’t say haven’t done it. Wonder what they do about the alarm going off? Now you know why I come on these threads. Someone who doesn’t know anything gives an answer like use a tennis ball. 

I don't know anything?  I'm not sure where the hate for me is coming from on this one.  I likely earned it somewhere else, and can accept that, but that has nothing to do with here.  I was pointing out other people without our vehicles pop up in here too.  I was hoping the commentor coming at you would back off.

Secondly, the stolen vehicle data via first result of Google search, "most stolen cars 2023".  #1 is Chevy Silverado model year 2006.  https://www.deepsentinel.com/blogs/most-stolen-cars/.  It's been that way for a long time. 

Finally, as for the tennis ball trick, this was discussed in length on another forum many years ago.  It may have been as far back as a decade or more ago.  I think it was TahoeYukonForum.com.  Several people on that forum tried the tennis ball hack and claimed they were successful, but you know what they say.  "You can't put anything on the internet that isn't true."

Edited by Transient