Anyone running 275/70/18 GY Wrangler Territory MT’s?

Curious to know if anyone has been running this tire/size. They come as OEM on the Silverado zr2’s. What is appealing about them is they are the only load range C I can find in the 275/70/18 (33”) size. The only other options are two SL options (both General Grabbers) or load range D/E (everything else), so the C is a good middle ground while not having to run a heavy tire. I have seen some comments saying they get really loud as they wear down. I’ve had duratracs before and they were noisy but not bad. The price is really good for these right now but obviously being cheap isn’t always a good thing. 

Tire rack: Goodyear Wrangler territory MT

Edited by Jv

The Territory MT was the optional 20" tire for the Trail Boss. My 21 Custom has them since I ordered it with 20's. I like them and have been running them as my winter wheels after the first year and put on aftermarket wheels and different tires for summer. They're a MT so they have more noise than a regular tire, but I don't think they're bad at all. I had Duratracs on my Avalanche and didn't think those were loud.

• Like 1

I have 35's in tread pattern "A" which is not exactly the same as what you are looking at (you're talking about pattern "B") but I figured I might as well add my impressions because the carcass is the same on either version.  So far this is the best truck tire i've ever had hands on experience with...it has the all-weather traction of the Duratrac (which is best in class) and it's noticeably quieter.  The remarkable thing about this tire is that it's REALLY light.  I put the same 35's on my Wrangler, which previously had 33" c-class Ridge Grapplers, and the Territory MT 35's are only a pound heavier.  That's absolutely incredible.

So on tread pattern A, I say absolutely hell yes.  No experience with tread pattern B though, outside of two new truck test drives.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/1/2024 at 11:03 AM, The Raven said:

I have 35's in tread pattern "A" which is not exactly the same as what you are looking at (you're talking about pattern "B") but I figured I might as well add my impressions because the carcass is the same on either version.  So far this is the best truck tire i've ever had hands on experience with...it has the all-weather traction of the Duratrac (which is best in class) and it's noticeably quieter.  The remarkable thing about this tire is that it's REALLY light.  I put the same 35's on my Wrangler, which previously had 33" c-class Ridge Grapplers, and the Territory MT 35's are only a pound heavier.  That's absolutely incredible.

So on tread pattern A, I say absolutely hell yes.  No experience with tread pattern B though, outside of two new truck test drives.

Thanks for the feedback. The load range C tires in my size are only 50 lbs. Everything else is much heavier and load range E. Another plus is both Tread A and B look really good, with yours being a bit more aggressive then the B’s, but both tires look pretty great for being so light in class. The sidewalls look great. It was either these or the Toyo AT3’s which are only 52 lbs but E’s so I would imagine a stiffer ride would occur. My last set of Duratracs were E’s and were stiff as hell regardless of PSI.  

Edited by Jv

I was looking hard at the Goodyear Territory tires, but I went with the Goodyear UltraTerrainin in the same size you mentioned: 275/70-18.  It is E-Rated as well, but it is only 55 lbs and has tougher sidewalls which I wanted since I do off-road the truck on occasion.  Total out the door was $1,3XX installed at Discount tire.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gangly said:

I was looking hard at the Goodyear Territory tires, but I went with the Goodyear UltraTerrainin in the same size you mentioned: 275/70-18.  It is E-Rated as well, but it is only 55 lbs and has tougher sidewalls which I wanted since I do off-road the truck on occasion.  Total out the door was $1,3XX installed at Discount tire.

Makes sense, I did see those as well. Do they ride stiff as hell? 55 lbs isn’t too bad I feel. Like I mentioned I saw Toyo AT3’s in that size at only 52. I just had really heavy duratracs before (around 60 lbs) and it was really rough driving around so it kinda pushed me away from E’s.  

I'm running the Toyo AT3's in this size on my '22 refresh TB. I've put 25K on them so far and like them. Wear & ride are good. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 8:55 AM, rascal71 said:

I'm running the Toyo AT3's in this size on my '22 refresh TB. I've put 25K on them so far and like them. Wear & ride are good. 

Nice. I am torn between these two tires, the Toyo seems like a high quality tire but the price difference is huge. For anyone looking, Simple Tire has the Territory’s at only 197 a tire! Makes you wonder why they’re so damn cheap.

https://simpletire.com/brands/goodyear-tires/wrangler-territory-mt#anchor=SiteProductLine&curationSource=none&delivery=Del3&itemId=220410&mpn=796272833&pageSource=sizeCatalog&productPos=2&rad=DD&tireSize=lt275-70r-18&v=1

Edited by Jv

I believe the Territory's have no tread wear warranty, and they were mass produced for the Bronco's (in 315/70/17 anyway). C rated vs. E rated usually cheaper as well. I have heard complaints about them throwing rocks and noise, but thats it and kinda any aggressive AT. I went with Nitto's, but gonna be running 2 spares in the bed, and im gonna get 2 of the goodyears since they are so much cheaper and just spares. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Vincej138 said:

I believe the Territory's have no tread wear warranty, and they were mass produced for the Bronco's (in 315/70/17 anyway). C rated vs. E rated usually cheaper as well. I have heard complaints about them throwing rocks and noise, but thats it and kinda any aggressive AT. I went with Nitto's, but gonna be running 2 spares in the bed, and im gonna get 2 of the goodyears since they are so much cheaper and just spares. 

The lack of warranty makes sense with that price. Being an OEM tire usually means cheaper no matter what. I did see those complaints about ride noise after a certain mileage as well. I guess that’s just what you get with a cheaper OEM aggressive tire. 

Edited by Jv

On 3/4/2024 at 12:07 PM, Jv said:

Thanks for the feedback. The load range C tires in my size are only 50 lbs. Everything else is much heavier and load range E. Another plus is both Tread A and B look really good, with yours being a bit more aggressive then the B’s, but both tires look pretty great for being so light in class. The sidewalls look great. It was either these or the Toyo AT3’s which are only 52 lbs but E’s so I would imagine a stiffer ride would occur. My last set of Duratracs were E’s and were stiff as hell regardless of PSI.  

Just wanted to add - my 35's are 50lbs (weighed on my calibrated hanging scale) so i'm pretty positive that the 33's are going to be lighter than that.  The stock 32's that come on the new TB's are 39lbs.  The listed tire weights are rarely accurate.

Also wanted to add - i'm at 7k on mine, and they have so far been the quietest off-road AT i've ever experienced at this mileage.  Much quieter than Duratracs, Ridge Grapplers, KO2's, and Baja Boss'.  The only tire I would say was as quiet was the Open Country AT3.  I wonder what tread life is going to be too but I figure that at this price, and adding in the fact that this tire allows me to maintain factory-level fuel mileage, even if they don't last quite as long i'm still going to come out ahead.  

Edited by The Raven
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Raven said:

Just wanted to add - my 35's are 50lbs (weighed on my calibrated hanging scale) so i'm pretty positive that the 33's are going to be lighter than that.  The stock 32's that come on the new TB's are 39lbs.  The listed tire weights are rarely accurate.

Also wanted to add - i'm at 7k on mine, and they have so far been the quietest off-road AT i've ever experienced at this mileage.  Much quieter than Duratracs, Ridge Grapplers, KO2's, and Baja Boss'.  The only tire I would say was as quiet was the Open Country AT3.  I wonder what tread life is going to be too but I figure that at this price, and adding in the fact that this tire allows me to maintain factory-level fuel mileage, even if they don't last quite as long i'm still going to come out ahead.  

Makes sense. The listed weight came from tirerack and of course Goodyears website doesn’t even list tire weights at all. You would think that information would be kind of important to list on their own site. But either way that is really light for such an aggressive tire. 

The reviews on Goodyears site are mixed for this tire. Some comment on how much noise they make. Some say how little noise they make. Maybe some sizes are noisier than others ? Who the hell knows haha. But I agree for the price its hard to beat. 

14 minutes ago, Jv said:

Makes sense. The listed weight came from tirerack and of course Goodyears website doesn’t even list tire weights at all. You would think that information would be kind of important to list on their own site. But either way that is really light for such an aggressive tire. 

The reviews on Goodyears site are mixed for this tire. Some comment on how much noise they make. Some say how little noise they make. Maybe some sizes are noisier than others ? Who the hell knows haha. But I agree for the price its hard to beat. 

Reviews are mixed because everyone's definition of "loud" is different.  Guys coming from other off-road ATs are going to find these pleasantly quiet, while guys coming from on-road ATs are going to think they're obnoxiously loud.  Furthermore, some of these reviews are posted right after the tire is mounted (and as we all know, all tires are quiet when brand new) and others are posted after 5k, 10, 20k miles when the tires are worn in and much louder.  Unfortunately, reviews for subjective traits aren't very useful.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Raven said:

Reviews are mixed because everyone's definition of "loud" is different.  Guys coming from other off-road ATs are going to find these pleasantly quiet, while guys coming from on-road ATs are going to think they're obnoxiously loud.  Furthermore, some of these reviews are posted right after the tire is mounted (and as we all know, all tires are quiet when brand new) and others are posted after 5k, 10, 20k miles when the tires are worn in and much louder.  Unfortunately, reviews for subjective traits aren't very useful.

This...

With it being an "OEM" tire, most likely have never driven on an aggressive All terrain right off the start. 

I almost pulled the trigger on these due to the weight and having the 2.7L. My Nittos are about 20lbs heavier per tire. Which is a lot. But if you do plan on airing down ever, the sidewall of an E rated tire will hold up much better and could get down to 15lbs if ya wanted. Its def give and take. 

• Like 1