Advise wanted

I have developed a VERY annoying squeak which sounds like it's coming from below the truck under the cab or from the rear of the truck.  I'm about to drive it head on into a wall at 60 mph to stop it.  It's a 99 new body style extended cab 1500 4X4.  I've tried everything to find it with no luck (i.e., riding in the rear seat and the bed, etc.)  No, I haven't strapped my body to the undercarriage to listen but am contemplating it!!!  It's not loud but just loud enough to drive you crazy.

My last resort is to go to the dealer and have them try to find it.  Has anyone had any luck with a dealer finding a squeak as described or are they going to look at me like I'm nuts (like everyone reading this) and just take my money and joke about me in the break room???

Thanks in advance and please make sure the smart a** replies are at least humorous.....

Need to get a can of silicone spray and hose down cab mount rubbers, leaf springs , etc. Have had this problem with leaf springs before......Now you wouldn't have been playing in the mud would you????

Know what you mean about sweak....when I bought my 99 and they had that windshield chatter from the bug/stone protector, that drove me crazy.

A good dealer will have "chassis ears" that they will mount all over your truck.  They listen to these ears through a headset and should be able to isolate the noise fairly quickly.

I think I'd spray stuff down with silicone spray first.  Do it one thing at a time so you'll be able to figure out where the noise is coming from.  I'd start with door and window moldings, then cab mounts and then rear leaf spring shackles/bushings.

Good Luck!!!

Happens when I'm going over any slight imperfections in the road as when the springs or shocks would be moving slightly.

Duh, ...I wonder if it might be the springs as suggested in a one of the posts above.  I will try the silicone spray.

And yes, it just started last weekend after some serious playing in the great outdoors in some serious rock and mud.  Got the truck two weeks ago and it was the first chance I had to break her in.  Played hard enough to gouge frame rails, bend a corner of the tranny bash plate back 2", break the welded trailer light mount on the stock hitch off AND ...create a very annoying squeak!!!!!!

Thanks for the help.

Rick

You need to have your front spring insulators replaced. I had the same problem.

Front Suspension Coil Spring Noise (New Insulator)

Bulletin No.:

99-03-08-002A

File In Section:

03 - Suspension

Date:

February, 2000

Subject:

Front Suspension Coil Spring Noise (Install New Coil Spring Insulator)

Models:

1999-2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Models (Silverado and Sierra 2WD 1500 Series)

This bulletin is being revised to update Model Year and Correction information and change the part number. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-03-08-002 (Section 03 - Suspension).

Condition

Some owners may comment about front suspension noise. The noise may be described as a "bong" or "clunk" noise. The noise may be more noticeable when driving slowly over bumps or backing the vehicle out of a driveway.

Cause

The front coil spring contacting the frame may cause this condition.

Correction

A new front coil spring insulator has been developed to correct this condition. Install a new insulator (1) to the top of both front coil springs. Refer to the Front Suspension subsection of the appropriate Silverado and Sierra Service Manual for coil spring removal/installation procedures.

This new insulator replaces any existing coil spring insulators. Remove and discard the existing insulator before installing the new insulator. Use the part number listed.

Parts Information

P/N                 Description                           Oty

15756770       Insulator, Front  Spring            2

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use information shown in image.

• 4 weeks later...

I did find and fix it!!!  The squeak was coming from the springs.  The rear spring "alignment/retainer pieces" had been bent open during aggressive off-road articulation.  There are two of these "alignment/retainer pieces" on each rear spring.  One on the front and one on the rear of the leaf springs each about 8" in from the end of the springs.  They are designed to keep the springs stacked in verticle alignment and limit the distance the springs will separate.  They also hold "plastic spring isolators" in place between the two leafs.

One of these on each side of the truck had been "bent" open allowing the plastic spring isolators which install horizontally between the two leafs and are held in place by these "alignment/retainer pieces" to come out and/or break.  Take a look and you'll see the "alignment/retainer pieces" and the plastic isolators I'm talking about.

Bottom line, to fix I went to a spring shop and got replacement plastic isolators for about $3.00 a piece, jacked the truck way up to open the springs.  Did some cutting on the isolators to fit them back in as they were somewhat generic.  Once I got them back in I had to unbolt my vice from the workbench and use it under the truck to squeeze the "alignment/retainer pieces" back in to where they belonged (this was not fun).  The result: no more squeak.

I should have mentioned before I did this "permanent fix" I was able to stop the squeak by just jacking the truck up to separate the springs and liberally greasing between the leafs using a flat tool.  This stopped the squeak but was only going to be a temporary fix.

Your problem might just be that the plastic isolators have worn out or broken as the spring shop said this was common and just about always results in a squeak (that's why they're there to prevent the metal-on-metal contact).  The spring guy said in his 26 years he had never seen anybody bend the "alignment/retainer pieces" open like I had.

If your "alignment/retainer pieces" are ok and the plastic isolators are in place I would suggest just jacking the truck up and greasing between the springs with a thick wheel bearing grease.

Rick

The spring guy said in his 26 years he had never seen anybody bend the "alignment/retainer pieces" open like I had.

Glad you found and fixed it Rick.  :D

I bend one on my '91 2WD.  Nothing was missing, just the metal bracket was bend open on one side.  I check the other 3 and happen to find a socket that fit perfectly between the gap.  I put the socket on the bend one and use my ball peen hammer to bend the bent bracket back in place.  No more noise after that.  :)   BTW, the noise I had was a loud clunking noise when truning.  Basically it was the springs slapping up against the bracket.

Archived