Close call

Wingnut

This was what it looked like out the back of my house yesterday afternoon.

This is about 400 feet away from where I was standing...These flames are 40-50 feet high:

f1.jpg

Fire dept was busy fighting structure fires a couple miles away, so we were on our own for most of the afternoon.

It got a little too close for comfort...That's my house on the right:

f2.jpg

Next door neighbor:

f3.jpg

Used to be 185 acres of wheat:

f6.jpg

And good times were had by all. :D

A total of about 3000 acres burned.

Yeah...There's been a burn ban in effect for weeks.

Whole lotta good that's done. I haven't grilled a steak in more than a month because of the ban.

I probably will fire up the grill today though, screw the burn ban, I've got nothing left to set on fire in the back yard. :D

Looks like the flames got close to that natrual gas line on the side of the house. :D Not a good thing.

Glad no injuries and the homestead is safe. Must make for some hard breathing though, with all that smoke.

Looks like the flames got close to that natrual gas line on the side of the house. :D  Not a good thing.

Glad no injuries and the homestead is safe.  Must make for some hard breathing though, with all that smoke.

Funny thing...That's the north side of the house, and that area gets close to zero sun, so I've planted fescue there (the rest of the yard is 97% bermuda, 3% weeds), and it's already greened up...Green grass doesn't burn. :P

As for the breathing, I'm still having a bit of difficulty...Not to mention my eyes are still all red and puffy. We won't get in to what's coming out of my nose. :D

Glad your place survived. It is very true about green grass and healthy plants, they don't burn. There have been many cases where wildfires have burned completely around houses that had green grass around them without any damage to the grass or house when everything else in the area was destroyed.

It is good pratice to have a healthy grass ring around your place if you live in wildfire country. All these fires already this year is crazy. It isn't even wildfire season. I gotta feeling the west is going to get hammered this year as we have had very little rain or snow this winter.

Crazy all the fires we've been having lately. Im in east texas so its been raining here a bit more than back home (amarillo). they finally got some rain and snow, which is great. supposed to rain here all week, so it'll be muddin time!! any ideas on how to get red mud stains off of your rims?

Archived