Check Engine Light Code P0449

FYI for those getting this code. I pulled the evap vent canister and solenoid out, blew some compressed air through it, cleaned out the vent canister and filter, sprayed some wd-40 into the solenoid "check valve" put everything back together, cleared the code and everything is working fine. Took 30 minutes start to finish.

I blew a bunch of dirt and sand out of the line when i put the compressed air through it. Just be careful because the compressed air will fold the spring over that controls the check valve and it will be stuck open so keep your PSI at 50 or less. If the spring folds over just push the compressed air in from the other end and it should straighten back out.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
07 tahoe 50,000 miles check engine light is on, autozone says code is P0449 this is what their ticket says:

The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for the vent valve/solenoid in the evaporative emission control system.

Definition:

EVAP (Evaporative Emission System) purge/vent solenoid circuit condition

Explanation:

The solenoids and system wiring are monitored for opens or shorts

Probable Causes

1- Purge or vent solenoids defective

2- Check connevtor and wiring

3- Fuel saturated vapor canister

4- Failed EVAP vent solenoid

anyone else had to deal with this, any info/help is appreciated.

Check engine P codes! Chevrolet uses an EVAP solenoid that is located under most vehicles near the gas tank and connects to the charcoal filter can. All this switch does is open when the key is turned on and allows air to exhaust out of the charcoal canister! Codes can be set and will drive you crazy trying to figure out if you have a bad gas cap, broke lines---this is where they try to get you to do a smoke test, or you just think the vehicle is no good! Relax, it is usually an easy fix and one Chevrolet has known about for years, but continues to make easy money off of people who cannot do basic maintenance. Now one code that comes up is usually P0449, along with maybe a warning to check the gas cap to see if it is on tight! Chevrolet will gladly read this code out for you for around $98.00 and then fix it for another around $100.00 which includes the EVAP part which if you buy at their parts dept. will cost you $32.00 and my dealership parts man told me they sell one a day! It is easy money for them and obviously a defective part they keep using for the last 10 or 15 years but hey, its money in their pocket. Here is how to fix it with ONE single common screwdriver! Get under the vehicle after putting on the parking brake and if you a little hefty, then removing the spare tire on the Chevrolet Avalanche will give you lots more room. The EVAP solenoid is easy to spot near the gas tank and charcoal canister and it has one electric connector which disconnects by releasing the plastic clip and pulling the connector out. It also has ONE air line connected which goes to the charcoal canister which also can be removed with the one screwdriver. The whole EVAP solenoid and air can, is easy to remove with the screwdriver which makes it easier to unplug the electric and air line. Get a replacement from the dealer as they certainly are familiar with this part as they sell LOTS of them. Then just go under and plug the new one in and the problem is solved. Now if you do not have a tool to reset the codes, try the local parts places as most of them will do a reset for you, especially my favorite place, called Pepboys or Aamco! If you do not have someone to do it, it can be done simply be removing the RED, positive lead off the battery and wait a minute and then plug it back in! Now some people say to unplug the black lead but when I did this on the Avalanche the heater on the passenger side would not go to cool but after about 5 off and ons of the ac it finally did! When I unplugged the red lead it worked ok. Make sure before you unplug the battery cable, you turn off everything you can like radio, air, heat, lights, ect.! The codes are reset but of course now you have to reset the radio and clock stuff! Chevrolet put this unit under the vehicle I guess so it could collect enough dust to fail after the initial 36 month, 36,000 mile warranty! Course the new part is guaranteed for ONE year so keep all the old parts in case you have another failure in ONE year and you can exchange them for another new one! Not too bad to have a spare! They should have recalled and replaced this unit years ago but who is gonna make them? They make money out of this little defective unit and still have no idea why they went into chapter 11 bankruptcy and are headed for chapter 7 if they fail to get connected to their customers and quality! This one little item is enough for a person like me who bought this 2005 Avalanche Z71 and who thinks it is a great truck to NEVER ever again buy a GM product! Another peeve I got with GM is they do not match the spare tire with the tires on the truck! I have really good Goodyear tires on the ground but after 4 years and my first flat, I take down the spare and it is a 16 inch instead of a 17 inch and it is a Bridgestone! GM just does not get QUALITY! This info brought to you by [email protected]!

o.k. i went to get the parts for my 2003 silverado 4.8 and the dealer gave me part number 214-2082

but i thought i needed 214-2081 what is the difference???? just some heater hose???

i tried searching and came up with nothing

thank in advance

Tiny

Check engine P codes! Chevrolet uses an EVAP solenoid that is located under most vehicles near the gas tank and connects to the charcoal filter can. All this switch does is open when the key is turned on and allows air to exhaust out of the charcoal canister! Codes can be set and will drive you crazy trying to figure out if you have a bad gas cap, broke lines---this is where they try to get you to do a smoke test, or you just think the vehicle is no good! Relax, it is usually an easy fix and one Chevrolet has known about for years, but continues to make easy money off of people who cannot do basic maintenance. Now one code that comes up is usually P0449, along with maybe a warning to check the gas cap to see if it is on tight! Chevrolet will gladly read this code out for you for around $98.00 and then fix it for another around $100.00 which includes the EVAP part which if you buy at their parts dept. will cost you $32.00 and my dealership parts man told me they sell one a day! It is easy money for them and obviously a defective part they keep using for the last 10 or 15 years but hey, its money in their pocket. Here is how to fix it with ONE single common screwdriver! Get under the vehicle after putting on the parking brake and if you a little hefty, then removing the spare tire on the Chevrolet Avalanche will give you lots more room. The EVAP solenoid is easy to spot near the gas tank and charcoal canister and it has one electric connector which disconnects by releasing the plastic clip and pulling the connector out. It also has ONE air line connected which goes to the charcoal canister which also can be removed with the one screwdriver. The whole EVAP solenoid and air can, is easy to remove with the screwdriver which makes it easier to unplug the electric and air line. Get a replacement from the dealer as they certainly are familiar with this part as they sell LOTS of them. Then just go under and plug the new one in and the problem is solved. Now if you do not have a tool to reset the codes, try the local parts places as most of them will do a reset for you, especially my favorite place, called Pepboys or Aamco! If you do not have someone to do it, it can be done simply be removing the RED, positive lead off the battery and wait a minute and then plug it back in! Now some people say to unplug the black lead but when I did this on the Avalanche the heater on the passenger side would not go to cool but after about 5 off and ons of the ac it finally did! When I unplugged the red lead it worked ok. Make sure before you unplug the battery cable, you turn off everything you can like radio, air, heat, lights, ect.! The codes are reset but of course now you have to reset the radio and clock stuff! Chevrolet put this unit under the vehicle I guess so it could collect enough dust to fail after the initial 36 month, 36,000 mile warranty! Course the new part is guaranteed for ONE year so keep all the old parts in case you have another failure in ONE year and you can exchange them for another new one! Not too bad to have a spare! They should have recalled and replaced this unit years ago but who is gonna make them? They make money out of this little defective unit and still have no idea why they went into chapter 11 bankruptcy and are headed for chapter 7 if they fail to get connected to their customers and quality! This one little item is enough for a person like me who bought this 2005 Avalanche Z71 and who thinks it is a great truck to NEVER ever again buy a GM product! Another peeve I got with GM is they do not match the spare tire with the tires on the truck! I have really good Goodyear tires on the ground but after 4 years and my first flat, I take down the spare and it is a 16 inch instead of a 17 inch and it is a Bridgestone! GM just does not get QUALITY! This info brought to you by [email protected]!

• 1 month later...

Did I order the wrong part? I have a 2003 Chevy 1500 throwing the PO449 code. My evap vent valve is located on the top of the fuel tank between the bed and the cab. The one that listed for my truck was AC Delco 214-2081, but it looks nothing like the original, the connection to the hard line is pointed the wrong way, and a hard plastic line that came with it is bent in a way that I don't know where it goes. There is also a separate filter with filter with this part. What should I do?

07 tahoe 50,000 miles check engine light is on, autozone says code is P0449 this is what their ticket says:

The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for the vent valve/solenoid in the evaporative emission control system.

Definition:

EVAP (Evaporative Emission System) purge/vent solenoid circuit condition

Explanation:

The solenoids and system wiring are monitored for opens or shorts

Probable Causes

1- Purge or vent solenoids defective

2- Check connevtor and wiring

3- Fuel saturated vapor canister

4- Failed EVAP vent solenoid

anyone else had to deal with this, any info/help is appreciated.

Try removing the gas cap and then gently putting it back on. Then start and drive the truck around. If that was the issue, the light will go off after a few stops and starts.

Did I order the wrong part? I have a 2003 Chevy 1500 throwing the PO449 code. My evap vent valve is located on the top of the fuel tank between the bed and the cab. The one that listed for my truck was AC Delco 214-2081, but it looks nothing like the original, the connection to the hard line is pointed the wrong way, and a hard plastic line that came with it is bent in a way that I don't know where it goes. There is also a separate filter with filter with this part. What should I do?

I own a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.8L V8 Extended Cab Long Bed.

From my research today, I have found that the part for my truck is in fact 214-2081.

Upon further research, I came across the following .pdf document.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bluegori...VAP_reroute.pdf

Please review the first set of pictures and instructions and tell me if that looks more familiar.

At the end of the document, there is additional parts information.

It recommends you have the following:

Solenoid Kit, EVAP Emission Canister Vent Valve

5/8" Hose (will need to be cut to length)

5 Tie Straps

2 Clamps

I hope this helps you.

Eric

• 11 months later...
Does anyone know where the vent valve is located on an 05 Tahoe. I can't seem to locate it looking in the areas of what I see in the pics provided, which are from trucks.

will try to get that info for you from SI.

My 2006 Silverado just popped the P0449 last week at 45,000 miles. Did a lot of searching on the Internet and some people have had good success with just putting in a can of "SeaFoam fuel cleaner". It takes about 60 miles. I tried it and my light went out. Also, when filling your tank, do not overfill., in other words, once the pump clicks full..stop...do not pump any more. This will case the code also with fuel damping the charcoal canister in the EVA system.

The "fuel cleaner" can be purchased at most auto parts store for around $8. Hope this helps some of you. Most of my trips are less than 15 miles and I had a bad habit of overfilling my tank beyond the initial first pump shutoff.

Does anyone know where the vent valve is located on an 05 Tahoe. I can't seem to locate it looking in the areas of what I see in the pics provided, which are from trucks.

It may be located on top of the fuel tank.

• 2 months later...

:D My story goes: just replaced catalytic's (went bad and clogged). then cleared the code and the p0449 one popped up! errrr. finally got around to taking off the vent solenoid and saw that the case was cracked! Not 100% sure if this is the exact cause of the code but gonna order another and give it a try.

For my question??: I have a 2005 sierra V6 StdCab LBed, do i need 214-2082? If this is the replacement for 214-2081, then wondering why that part is only listed for trucks up to 2003.

post-83416-1289144030_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived