Tire Chains on 275/55-20 tires

redjewel2ss

Looks like theres a 60% chance of snow in Ruidoso, NM this friday where i'll be on a ski trip. right now its required to have tire chains to drive up the mountain, so if it snows again they will probably still require them.

any of you northerners ever install tire chains on the stock 20" wheels and tires? it seems the cheapest route is to rent them from a local shop in town, but my main concern is them just slapping on a generic size made for smaller wheel diameters and the chains coming into contact with the wheels, scratching them all up! can any of you put me at ease? i do want new wheels, but not this soon!!!

this will be an interesting trip!

Most people wouldn't know anything about it. They just never throw chains. I've thrown chains a handful of times on my semi. I helped a guy in the mountains with a truck like mine. You can do it. Get'em tight, go slow, and check them every chance ya get. I'd recommend some straps though 2 per tire. Make an x with them on the circle chain. Wish I had a pic! You don't wanna get stopped without them for sure, but you don't HAVE to use them. Your just required to have them in your possession ya dig?

When I bought my 2012, I actually had to sign a notice of acknowlegment stating that I could not use tire chains on my wheels ('18). Only tire cables, not sure if this applies to previous years but something to think about. When I had my 08, I have the factory '20 and went to play in the snow I picked up a set of tire cables because of the advisory, never needed to open the box. All the highway cared about was seeing was my 4x4 switch.

Snow chains? Really? Does the city shut down when it snows too? I guess the extra traction is really needed in your hills.

the chains were only for the 2 lane road up the mountain to the ski resort. its a 2 lane road that's 12 miles long with switch backs and very few guard rails, with a 2,000 ft change in elevation

luckily they lifted the chain requirement before we got there, and we made it to the top without problems. that was the first time i've driven a mountain road like that. a lot of people from the flat lands of Texas told me how scary it was... i didn't think it was that bad. my wife nearly got car sick from going back and forth though, LOL

• 1 month later...

I've run chains quite a few times on my 2wd Silverado with no problems at all. Go to www.vulcantire.com if you want to get chains for your size of tire. I never had any issues with my tires/wheels after running chains. During the 2010 blizzard here on the east coast chains + weight in the bed allowed me to get around full time, as long as the snow was beneath my bumper in depth.

never needed tire chains for my 2wd Tahoe with 20's here in Indiana. It has seem some good amounts of snow and never batted an eye at it.

That's cause the highest point in Indania is 1,200 feet! :lol: One thing that has blown me away is how flat it is out here. :lol: You typically only see the snow chain requirements in the mountain states.

I was laughing at this and thinking of the states some of you guys live in and how flat they are. I grew up in BC mostly and switch backs and hills and mountains are all apart of driving. For the most part if you have a 4x4 you dont need chains if you have good tires. If you have a 4x2 I would keep chains in the truck bed .

Archived