GM 8 speed transmission problems, they are real- lemon law

First, sorry for long post. I just joined, and I am totally frustrated..

I too have a 2015 Denali with the 6.2/8 speed. I brought it into the dealer Monday with a check engine light and 14,140 miles. I bought it new exactly a year ago. It has had some hesitation issues, but otherwise, no major mechanical complaints. The dealer told me they had to reprogram the transmission, which would take an hour and a half "and if that didn't fix it you need a new transmission" Are you F inf kidding me?

A little history. I used to buy Toyotas. They worked, and I put hundreds of thousands of miles on many vehicles without a problem, actually zero problems and many vehicles. Being in the development business, I always hated showing up to job sites where everyone was driving Ford, GMC, Chevrolet and Dodge, and here comes the boss who doesn't support America. So I switched.

I bought a 2001 Yukon. I couldn't kill it, and never had an issue with it. I bought a 2003 Sierra gasser, and sold it several years later- good vehicle. I bought a 2003 Denali. This is when trouble started. From day one, was an awful vehicle. I had electrical issues that no one could solve, and at 36,700 miles the transmission failed. I was in CT, and live in MA. The dealership contacted GM, as did I. They told me it was out of warrantee(36k)and I had to pay out of pocket. I was furious. I kept calling them and finally got a woman who offered me a $1500 voucher toward a new GM vehicle, but zero toward the transmission fix. I reluctantly paid for the new transmission, and traded that vehicle for a 2006 Chevy Tahoe Z71. I still own it, and it has been flawless with minor exceptions, one being the rust issue of the Z71 bumpers that GM claims to know nothing about, but if you don't repaint them every couple years, or replace them they will fall off.(look it up). I bought a 2005 Sierra 2500 Diesel. Babied it and sold it last week with 125k on it. Had to rebuild the transmission last year because of a cracked 2 dollar gasket in the bottom of the Allison transmission that notoriously cracks when it is cold(below 0) and you plow snow. Ask the guys from Canada. Cost me 4k, but I loved the truck even though various things failed on it over time with very few miles. I bought a 2007 GMC Suburban. Immediate problems with the 4wd the dealer couldn't fix after several attempts and after sending 'their awd guru to fix it." I lemon lawed that vehicle, got my money back, and bought another Suburban, a 2008. Sold it after a year w no issues. Got divorced in 2009 so held tight and bought nothing. After several years of trials and bS I got my life back in order. I bought a 2015 denali, and a 2016 Silverado diesel. So I am a loyal GM guy. Or at least I was, even through major issues. UNTIL NOW:

My Denali, since the reflash Monday, suc+s to drive. It makes a lot of noise downshifting between 20 mph and a stop. It clunks, it hesitates, it lunges occasionally, and at 35mph it wants to shift, but it doesn't. It sputters. F Ing GREAT for 70 thousand bucks.

So the reason for my post is not for someone to tell me my transmission is re learning. :) I honestly don't care. I am going to bring it to the dealer, where they will not be able to fix it. And GM is going to buy it back- BECAUSE THAT IS THE LAW, if you are reading GM. The reason I ask, is because I want to know if this is just 2015 8 speeds, but just as I was posting this I saw something else..2016 Transmission Bulletin 16-NA-019. This is a bulletin to fix the problems with the 8 speeds on the 2016 8 speeds. looks like it is still ongoing. Saved me some money as I was actually contemplating trading out of my problem for another GM product. Not any more. BTW it seems like the AWD issue from 2007 is still buggering up new GM vehicles...The dealer told me not to put the 2015 denali in Auto AWD. Because they DON'T come out!!! Hmmmmm.

And finally, the 2016 Silverado. 1400 miles, and smells like it is on fire after I drive it for 10 minutes of so. No idea what it is, but I parked it away from my house a couple weeks ago when I got home so I wouldn't burn down the house, and after it was deemed safe put it in the garage where it has stayed. That's $125,000 in vehicles that just don't meet up to industry standards, and that's without mentioning all the miscellaneous interior issues, radio and nav bugs etc. Just awful.

My advice. Stay away from new GM products. And for god's sake, use the lemon law. It is there for a reason, it works, and it is EASY.

If you do lemon law your vehicle, please let me know how you go about it.

Dealing with a vehicle myself that I've barely seen since I bought it because of an issue they can't resolve. Had to make the first payment without being in possession of it.

I had an 8 speed loaner I had to drive for 6 days, they are awful. It's not just you.

Hmm, first post a big long list of complaints. Thanks for being a contributing member to the forum, sorry you had to resort to trolling to make yourself feel better.

Can anyone explain the thought process of people who decide to just join a forum to complain about something? How does that work? Are they sitting there on the couch watching their heavy set wife eat cup cakes and watching tv when a commercial comes on for something and they are like "you know what, I bought X vehicle but now seeing this Y vehicle in a professional photographers image I prefer it. Maybe I could make myself feel better and join a forum to post something bad and get comments. That will make me feel much better about my life and reinforce that it is not that bad!"

Thanks again OP. BTW I know 42 people that only drive Toyota's that have had nothing but problems and buy backs, while I know 87 people that only own GM and haven't had a lick of problems. See how easy it is to lie on the internet? As for me, we haven't had a major issue with any GM vehicle (we are a GM family). Have there been little quirks here or there? Sure, but nothing major outside an alternator. Hope you feel better, best of luck with your Toyota's!

Tyler

More gears, more problems. That's just common sense. Gm is not alone. Most of the new 6+ gear transmissions have problems.

We can thank the EPA for all this nonsense.

I still long for the good old days of the TH400.

Hmm, first post a big long list of complaints. Thanks for being a contributing member to the forum, sorry you had to resort to trolling to make yourself feel better.

Can anyone explain the thought process of people who decide to just join a forum to complain about something? How does that work? Are they sitting there on the couch watching their heavy set wife eat cup cakes and watching tv when a commercial comes on for something and they are like "you know what, I bought X vehicle but now seeing this Y vehicle in a professional photographers image I prefer it. Maybe I could make myself feel better and join a forum to post something bad and get comments. That will make me feel much better about my life and reinforce that it is not that bad!"

Thanks again OP. BTW I know 42 people that only drive Toyota's that have had nothing but problems and buy backs, while I know 87 people that only own GM and haven't had a lick of problems. See how easy it is to lie on the internet? As for me, we haven't had a major issue with any GM vehicle (we are a GM family). Have there been little quirks here or there? Sure, but nothing major outside an alternator. Hope you feel better, best of luck with your Toyota's!

Tyler

Wow. I wasn't expecting to have people call me a troll, or a "liar" because I am frustrated with GM and the way they have treated me. My post is real, 100% accurate, and I can show you a copy of my check from Gm, for the buy back, etc. Ridiculous to call someone a liar because they are frustrated. I guess my OP should have said hello everyone I just joined? Not sure how this works, but I did talk about some GM cars I have owned that were bulletproof, and others not so much. I can explain how this "happens" @amxguy70. People who pay 50-60-70 thousand dollars for vehicles, or anything else for that matter and THEY DON"T WORK look up stuff on the internet, to see if there are solutions. That brought me here, to a community of like minded people who might have answers, or I might actually save from one. There have been a lot of issues with the 8 speed transmissions. I don't know man. I posted to help others so they would be informed of REAL problems when they go to spend 70-75k on a denali, or more on an escalade. If you see this as trolling, or lies- please feel free to delete it. I took the time to write it, because it is the truth. Every word, with drawers full of paperwork to back it up.

I'll stick with my GM, but thanks for the rant. it was a good read. I have yet to have a single serious issue with my truck and I love every minute of driving it. Sorry for your troubles, unfortunately just because you've had bad experiences doesn't mean every GM is bad. Lots more good GM's on the road then there are bad.

I'll stick with my GM, but thanks for the rant. it was a good read. I have yet to have a single serious issue with my truck and I love every minute of driving it. Sorry for your troubles, unfortunately just because you've had bad experiences doesn't mean every GM is bad. Lots more good GM's on the road then there are bad.

I agree 100%. Good luck with your truck. My last GM truck was my favorite truck of all I've owned.

Wow. I wasn't expecting to have people call me a troll, or a "liar" because I am frustrated with GM and the way they have treated me. My post is real, 100% accurate, and I can show you a copy of my check from Gm, for the buy back, etc. Ridiculous to call someone a liar because they are frustrated. I guess my OP should have said hello everyone I just joined? Not sure how this works, but I did talk about some GM cars I have owned that were bulletproof, and others not so much. I can explain how this "happens" @amxguy70. People who pay 50-60-70 thousand dollars for vehicles, or anything else for that matter and THEY DON"T WORK look up stuff on the internet, to see if there are solutions. That brought me here, to a community of like minded people who might have answers, or I might actually save from one. There have been a lot of issues with the 8 speed transmissions. I don't know man. I posted to help others so they would be informed of REAL problems when they go to spend 70-75k on a denali, or more on an escalade. If you see this as trolling, or lies- please feel free to delete it. I took the time to write it, because it is the truth. Every word, with drawers full of paperwork to back it up.

No, you didn't come here looking for advice, you came here looking to rant about your frustrations and closed with telling a GM forum to stay away from new GM vehicles because you've had issues. If you're looking for advice, then ask for help, if you're looking to rant and rave about how bad your new truck is, then leave it off the forums, take your buy back/lemon law/whatever, and move one.

No, you didn't come here looking for advice, you came here looking to rant about your frustrations and closed with telling a GM forum to stay away from new GM vehicles because you've had issues. If you're looking for advice, then ask for help, if you're looking to rant and rave about how bad your new truck is, then leave it off the forums, take your buy back/lemon law/whatever, and move one.

You guys are tough. Seriously, there is a point to my "rant" that you missed. I was honest, and I did talk about good trucks and bad. I think based on my experience with GM products I have that right. I also came here because there are currently legitimate problems with 8 speed transmissions, that GM can't fix. It is my opinion that if you're looking for a new vehicle, you should avoid the GM's with the 8 speeds until they are solid, or even fixable, and I stated that opinion. You or anyone else have the right to your opinions, share them, keep them to yourself, agree, disagree, benefit from what others have been through, or go out today and buy a 6.2/8speed if that's what makes you happy. I think it is important for people who have things they spend hard earned money on to be able to post issues, so when the next guy that's thinking about buying, he or she can research and find real info, posted by real people. What I posted is real life experience. I am sorry if the history of what I have owned and had issues with p+ssed some of you off. Frankly, spending 70+ thousand on a vehicle with a clunky, un-repairable transmission that GM says is normal does the same to me.

That does suck. But my 15 sierra is my 6th gm vehicle and I love it, no problems at 7400 miles. All of mine have been great. But if I would have some problems down the road I would not jump ship. All cars and trucks can have problems, and I would not come on here talking about how bad it was. Not when the other 5 have been good. Just my 2 cents.

That does suck. But my 15 sierra is my 6th gm vehicle and I love it, no problems at 7400 miles. All of mine have been great. But if I would have some problems down the road I would not jump ship. All cars and trucks can have problems, and I would not come on here talking about how bad it was. Not when the other 5 have been good. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you, If I had one bad apple in the bunch, oh well. As you see, my issue is that I have had three real bad ones out of 10+/-. That's some bad luck. I never wrote on a forum about the others, and I continued to buy ONLY GM for several vehicles after bad experiences because I too am loyal. Honestly I will probably buy more of their products over time. I like the styling, the ride, etc. better than the rest. If you read my OP, I started by saying I am extremely frustrated, and I am. I am glad you are having good luck and enjoying your truck. Again, my apologies if I hit a nerve with some. Or many.

I was going to post a long rant telling everyone to buy gm products because I have been driving them since the late 90s but I figured I didn't need to. I love my 15 Denali 8speed.

I would be upset if my truck was messed up, is gm going to lemon law it? What did the dealer say

Tyler

What the hell does it matter to you? It's a forum, people can post anything they want as long as it's about the topic of the forum which the post is.

Try buying a $60k truck and having it not work right from the beginning and having to fight tooth and nail to get it bought back when it's most people second most expensive possession.

Forums are a valuable source of good and bad information about anything and everything. People realize that you're most likely to see people reporting a negative thing over a positive thing.

Leave it alone, not like you can do anything about it but whine. Why do you care, work for GM? and now look, you made me waste my time anti-trolling your trolling post...

I am still waiting for the dealer to call me back.

I really hope it doesn't go the lemon law route. A week ago I was telling my kids this is my favorite truck I have ever owned. I was surprised when the check engine light went on, and blown away when the dealer said if a reprogram didn't fix it I would need a new transmission. I would guess most people would have felt the same. Since the reprogram at the dealership it is really running bad and that is a tough pill to swallow. If they can fix it, great. If not I will use the lemon law because I think that is the best option I would have. It is an above board process, handled by a lawyer(if you hire one), and it is easy, and fair, to both the consumer, and GM(they do depreciate your car and account for mileage). I would be at a disadvantage trading it in not working right, and I wouldn't trade it in and not disclose the issue because my problem could be unknowingly passed onto someone else.

I am still waiting for the dealer to call me back.

I really hope it doesn't go the lemon law route. A week ago I was telling my kids this is my favorite truck I have ever owned. I was surprised when the check engine light went on, and blown away when the dealer said if a reprogram didn't fix it I would need a new transmission. I would guess most people would have felt the same. Since the reprogram at the dealership it is really running bad and that is a tough pill to swallow. If they can fix it, great. If not I will use the lemon law because I think that is the best option I would have. It is an above board process, handled by a lawyer(if you hire one), and it is easy, and fair, to both the consumer, and GM(they do depreciate your car and account for mileage). I would be at a disadvantage trading it in not working right, and I wouldn't trade it in and not disclose the issue because my problem could be unknowingly passed onto someone else.

Archived