2016 SWB WT 2wd for $26000. Worth it to trade my Jeep Wrangler?

paullgj

Current vehicle - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport with towing package. For me, 71 years old, it's a handful on the highway - not relaxing in traffic. Tipotex Chevrolet, Brownsville, Texas, has a 2016 2wd reg. cab standard box for $25,500 - G80 rear axle and WT convenience package. I'd be giving up a lot - 4wd (which I've never used), fog lights, towing package, and Sirius radio. But, I remember, 40 yrs of owning of various Chevy and GMC SWB's, mainly stick shifts, good handling and agile on the highway. How is the handling of the latest models? Reliability? One thing I don't like about the Wrangler is poor outward visibility. The Chevy reg. cab is excellent in these regards. Go for it? Will there be any regrets?

FWIW, this is probably going to be my last new vehicle. Hope it lasts as long as I do.

Thanks.

Did you use the fog lights, tow package, and Sirius radio on your Wrangler? If these are important options, you can go with an LS or LT trim level. I know these cost a little more than $26,000, but if you shop around a bit, maybe you can find something that has the options that you want so that you don't have to compromise.

I used auto trader when I was looking for my truck. None of the local dealers carried trucks with the options that I wanted (or didn't want), so I used auto trader and found several that I liked at a dealer in a town about 40 miles away.

V6 or V8?

It is a v-6 with WT convenience package and locking rear differential, and not much else. $4500 discount from $29000+ list price. I have checked around locally but most are offering just $2500 discount. Other option is to bite the bullet, wait a few months and build up some cash reserve, and order a 2017 LS 4wd with snow plow prep (doesn't snow here, but package offers HD springs and skid plates), but I know I'll get killed on the selling price, won't be much of a discount.

It is a v-6 with WT convenience package and locking rear differential, and not much else. $4500 discount from $29000+ list price. I have checked around locally but most are offering just $2500 discount. Other option is to bite the bullet, wait a few months and build up some cash reserve, and order a 2017 LS 4wd with snow plow prep (doesn't snow here, but package offers HD springs and skid plates), but I know I'll get killed on the selling price, won't be much of a discount.

You just said you have never used 4wd. Money appears to be a deciding factor so you want to spend almost 4k more for an option you don't need or use? Save a little more and get a few creature comfort items that will be useful and appeal to you at your age, not an expensive option that has no return and costs more to run daily (gas, maintenance, insurance, ect). Find a nice LS regular cab or extended cab and make a deal on it.

Tyler

There's a dealer around here running TV commercials advertising Double Cab 2WD LT trucks for $29,500. So, a V6 Reg Cab WT for $26K doesn't seem like much of a deal to me. I'd pass.

The truck market is obviously different in TX than it is in NC, but I'd think somebody could do better than $2500 off sticker.

Personally I am dead set against a base model except as a commercial vehicle.

Unless you plan to keep it and drive it right into the ground the resell on base models is a joke. No one wants a used truck with no options.

You would be better off going LT or SLE. Then again when your 72 I am guessing the propect of trade in value is not at the top of the list.

There's a dealer around here running TV commercials advertising Double Cab 2WD LT trucks for $29,500. So, a V6 Reg Cab WT for $26K doesn't seem like much of a deal to me. I'd pass.

The truck market is obviously different in TX than it is in NC, but I'd think somebody could do better than $2500 off sticker.

Actually on this one they're giving me $4500 off and I haven't even started to haggle yet. Most of the other regional dealers are starting with $2500 off.

Wrangler isnt a great highway car, especially the 2 doors. Jeep visibility isnt that great, but a pickup without a rear camera (not sure if the WTs have a camera) can get you just as much trouble as a wrangler backing up. But a Wrangler is is pretty good for parking and smaller spaces, really depends what your uses are. Not to mention soft top jeeps are not very secure, hard tops tend to leak and the wind/road noise is pretty bad with either top.

As many faults as the Wranglers have they are very popular and hold their value well. If you are looking at an even trade I dunno, basic 2 door wrangler sport new is about 30K, they dont discount those much. But you are a model year+ old. If it was the only car I had and didnt need a back seat I think I would prefer the pickup. Really depends on what you want, take the pickup for a ride and see.

Wrangler isnt a great highway car, especially the 2 doors. Jeep visibility isnt that great, but a pickup without a rear camera (not sure if the WTs have a camera) can get you just as much trouble as a wrangler backing up. But a Wrangler is is pretty good for parking and smaller spaces, really depends what your uses are. Not to mention soft top jeeps are not very secure, hard tops tend to leak and the wind/road noise is pretty bad with either top.

As many faults as the Wranglers have they are very popular and hold their value well. If you are looking at an even trade I dunno, basic 2 door wrangler sport new is about 30K, they dont discount those much. But you are a model year+ old. If it was the only car I had and didnt need a back seat I think I would prefer the pickup. Really depends on what you want, take the pickup for a ride and see.

The pickup I'm looking at does indeed have the rear camera. I like the regular cab for lack of blindspots and pillars. Also like the WT as it has no carpets, just rubber flooring that is easy to clean. Will indeed take it for a ride and see - they know me well at Tipotex Chevrolet, as I've dealt with them for years. I'm asking $28,000 for the trade, vs. $24,000 selling price of $29,000 Silverado WT - that will basically leave me with $0.00 balance as the trade pays off the Jeep. Still haven't decided. My wife has a 4 door Honda HRV for the times when I need a back seat.

I dont know how many dealers are willing to do a trade that doesnt require you leaving some of your hard earned money in the building when you sign the paperwork. Basically what im saying is dont count on owing $0 if you pull the plug. Know a couple of family friends that sell cars and based on wht theyve told me in past is the dealership will rarely if ever make a trade at a zero trade deficit on the buyer. Higher probability the only way you will get a better trade in is if you buy a higher trimmed truck where they have room to get money out of the deal. Perhaps your best bet would be to sell the jeep to Carmax if you have one nearby if you dont want the hassle of selling it, or pony up and sell it yourself. Good luck either route you go.

The pickup I'm looking at does indeed have the rear camera. I like the regular cab for lack of blindspots and pillars. Also like the WT as it has no carpets, just rubber flooring that is easy to clean. Will indeed take it for a ride and see - they know me well at Tipotex Chevrolet, as I've dealt with them for years. I'm asking $28,000 for the trade, vs. $24,000 selling price of $29,000 Silverado WT - that will basically leave me with $0.00 balance as the trade pays off the Jeep. Still haven't decided. My wife has a 4 door Honda HRV for the times when I need a back seat.

I dont know how many dealers are willing to do a trade that doesnt require you leaving some of your hard earned money in the building when you sign the paperwork. Basically what im saying is dont count on owing $0 if you pull the plug. Know a couple of family friends that sell cars and based on wht theyve told me in past is the dealership will rarely if ever make a trade at a zero trade deficit on the buyer. Higher probability the only way you will get a better trade in is if you buy a higher trimmed truck where they have room to get money out of the deal. Perhaps your best bet would be to sell the jeep to Carmax if you have one nearby if you dont want the hassle of selling it, or pony up and sell it yourself. Good luck either route you go.

Jeep Wranglers are never discounted much, hold their value well and dont take long for a dealer to sell if its a quality trade. I can see an even swap on a '16 WT if they want to move it, they can sell that Jeep for more than the truck most likely.

Naturally their goal is make money, its always buyer beware. Carmax pays well for Jeeps but if I do that in this state I cant save the sales tax that I would trading it to a dealer so I have to sell the car to Carmax for 8% more than the dealer offers just to break even.

True, Jeeps do hold their values, but you know what holds their value more? Toyota Tacoma's. Back in 2008 I was looking at trading in my fully loaded 2007 Tacoma on a 2007 hold over Honda Accord. The Honda dealer had the Accord priced at $23K and my truck was valued at $27K in the black book. However because my truck was worth more than their car, they would only give me $21K for my truck and their Accord wouldn't come down anymore in price, all this with my truck having a clear title. My point is the dealer will never absorb the full depreciation of a trade in without making it up on the sale and that is why rarely if ever, and a strong emphasis on rarely, will they allow a buyer to trade down and the dealer taking no cash on the deal. If a dealer pays top end on the trade, they will discount more on the car you are buying and vice versa. Chances are the OP will get minimal trade in on his Jeep and the whatever he owes rolled into the new truck, the dealer wont pay off his title and sell him the truck for less than the value of his Jeep. I understand the tax savings on trading in but understand, a dealer can always get near new low mileage trade ins all day long from lease turn ins and pay way less than what an off the street customer demands for a trade in value. Even though the Jeep holds their value, he wont get much on trade in unless he starts shopping for a fully loaded LT, LTZ, HC, Denali. Dealers wouldnt be in business if they always took trade downs. They still need to take cash or payment on the transaction to keep the doors open and lights on. Otherwise all they have is inventory and no income.

Jeep Wranglers are never discounted much, hold their value well and dont take long for a dealer to sell if its a quality trade. I can see an even swap on a '16 WT if they want to move it, they can sell that Jeep for more than the truck most likely.

Naturally their goal is make money, its always buyer beware. Carmax pays well for Jeeps but if I do that in this state I cant save the sales tax that I would trading it to a dealer so I have to sell the car to Carmax for 8% more than the dealer offers just to break even.

True, Jeeps do hold their values, but you know what holds their value more? Toyota Tacoma's. Back in 2008 I was looking at trading in my fully loaded 2007 Tacoma on a 2007 hold over Honda Accord. The Honda dealer had the Accord priced at $23K and my truck was valued at $27K in the black book. However because my truck was worth more than their car, they would only give me $21K for my truck and their Accord wouldn't come down anymore in price, all this with my truck having a clear title. My point is the dealer will never absorb the full depreciation of a trade in without making it up on the sale and that is why rarely if ever, and a strong emphasis on rarely, will they allow a buyer to trade down and the dealer taking no cash on the deal. If a dealer pays top end on the trade, they will discount more on the car you are buying and vice versa. Chances are the OP will get minimal trade in on his Jeep and the whatever he owes rolled into the new truck, the dealer wont pay off his title and sell him the truck for less than the value of his Jeep. I understand the tax savings on trading in but understand, a dealer can always get near new low mileage trade ins all day long from lease turn ins and pay way less than what an off the street customer demands for a trade in value. Even though the Jeep holds their value, he wont get much on trade in unless he starts shopping for a fully loaded LT, LTZ, HC, Denali. Dealers wouldnt be in business if they always took trade downs. They still need to take cash or payment on the transaction to keep the doors open and lights on. Otherwise all they have is inventory and no income.

I agree its always a numbers game but its possible the Jeep is worth more than the truck in real dollars, I have no idea on the msrp, condition, mileage etc. All I know is clean Wranglers sell for very good money around here. Naturally they are not going to give the new truck away and pay top dollar for the Jeep at the same time. But even if they offer a couple grand less than carmax the tax savings may make it a wash.

Of course they are in business to sell cars and make a profit, all that matters is what the used car department is willing to put into the Jeep and what they need to get out of the truck to keep the lights on and make a few bucks. Dealers never lose money, if they did they wouldn't be in business long ;)

Archived