Rear Facing Car Seat 2014 Double Cab

Sounds like spaghetti.....

The routed top tether to the next tether distributes the forces i've been told. I guess run it through the center and go left or right?

The classes teach to "follow the manufacturers instructions. But sometimes they contradict eachother. If it were me and I had 3 i would just attach the top tether to the loop behind each seat. Vs putting 3 seats forces through the center loop.

• 1 month later...

Over the weekend I tested out installing the Chicco Keyfit 30 in two locations. I didn't find much on the web about this - so I'll detail what spots I tested and what I thought.

First location I tried to install the rear facing seat was behind the passenger seat. Now in a double cab room is limited. I keep my seats all the way back with a slight recline... In order to fit the base and car seat, the passenger seat needed to either be 1) back rest leaned all the way towards the dash or 2) seat moved up with back rest basically vertical. I'm 6' and I had room with and inch or two to spare for my knees. Not ideal for anyone.

Luckily for me, we don't plan to use my truck as the family commuter vehicle.... but quick trips without someone riding shotgun would not be an issue.

After thinking about things - I decided to test installing the base and car seat in the center - still rear facing. And it didn't take long to realize that this is where it will be.

Again with both driver and passenger seats all the back with recline.... I was still able to use the car seat's LATCH system (mini buckles) and have the seat rear faced. It fit perfectly and did not protrude into the front cabin. I was pleased to see fit as well as it did. I would have preferred behind a seat for easier access - but as many probably want to say: that's what I get for choosing a double cab.

At some point I will get some pictures so those interested can see what it looks like. I hope this helps those first timer parents like myself. But a double cab will 100% allow a rear facing car seat.

-Ray

Over the weekend I tested out installing the Chicco Keyfit 30 in two locations. I didn't find much on the web about this - so I'll detail what spots I tested and what I thought.

First location I tried to install the rear facing seat was behind the passenger seat. Now in a double cab room is limited. I keep my seats all the way back with a slight recline... In order to fit the base and car seat, the passenger seat needed to either be 1) back rest leaned all the way towards the dash or 2) seat moved up with back rest basically vertical. I'm 6' and I had room with and inch or two to spare for my knees. Not ideal for anyone.

Luckily for me, we don't plan to use my truck as the family commuter vehicle.... but quick trips without someone riding shotgun would not be an issue.

After thinking about things - I decided to test installing the base and car seat in the center - still rear facing. And it didn't take long to realize that this is where it will be.

Again with both driver and passenger seats all the back with recline.... I was still able to use the car seat's LATCH system (mini buckles) and have the seat rear faced. It fit perfectly and did not protrude into the front cabin. I was pleased to see fit as well as it did. I would have preferred behind a seat for easier access - but as many probably want to say: that's what I get for choosing a double cab.

At some point I will get some pictures so those interested can see what it looks like. I hope this helps those first timer parents like myself. But a double cab will 100% allow a rear facing car seat.

-Ray

So you used the inside Latch points from the two outside seats?

A double cab with an infant car seat or a rear facing convertible is very tight. You'll need the passenger seat nearly all the way forward and not reclined back. It's not very comfortable for a passenger. I did some research when I went to the convertible and some take less space than others.

I can confirm. I recently purchased a 2016 crew cab because we needed more room than what our 2004 extended cab offered. With two car seats and one of them facing backwards meant the wife sat with her seat nearly all the way forward.

So you used the inside Latch points from the two outside seats?

This is ok as long as the owners manual for the particular seat allows it. Most do. You can also use just the seatbelt in the middle (locked out) and sometimes get a tighter installation.

This is ok as long as the owners manual for the particular seat allows it. Most do. You can also use just the seatbelt in the middle (locked out) and sometimes get a tighter installation.

Yeah, I would think it would depend on how wide the car seat is. If it was too narrow, you might get some side to side wiggle if the latch points were too far apart.

WE have three in various stages of carseats.....We have been through quite a few seats to fit in various configurations. I wanted to mention the Costco Scenera. Walmart has it or its upgraded version for 40 bucks. Its safe, slim, easy to install and can do rear facing until 40 pounds. Its a work horse for our family and perfect for airline travel too, just make sure you don't check it but carry it on with you.

Any of you guys have pictures of the seats in the middle? We are switching car seats soon as our daughter grew out of her other one and want to see what its like in the middle as far as room and clearance

Archived