Quality Of Amrican Racing Rims?

cerbomark

Mark,

It's been literally decades since I've had a set of American racing rims, but they've always seemed to be a first class wheel maker. As for salt resistance, that's a booger. I'd get that clearcoat for rims and coat the backside with a brush for either the chrome or clear coated polished/machined alum wheels. Then, I'd pull the wheels a few times a yr and look the backsides over for nicks in the clear and corrosion.

http://www.imperialrestoration.com/products.php?category=2

Mark,

It's been literally decades since I've had a set of American racing rims, but they've always seemed to be a first class wheel maker. As for salt resistance, that's a booger. I'd get that clearcoat for rims and coat the backside with a brush for either the chrome or clear coated polished/machined alum wheels. Then, I'd pull the wheels a few times a yr and look the backsides over for nicks in the clear and corrosion.

http://www.imperialrestoration.com/products.php?category=2

In our experience clearcoat is not such a good ide, The salt eats away the clearcoat and gets trapped in the pits corroding the wheels even more. We always have reccomended eiter cheap steel or polished aluminum. The polished will take a beating in the winter but with some elbow grease in the spring they can be brought back.

I had a set of the teflon coated AR rims on my 05 1500. They were great, survived two winters in upstate NY with out a blemish. I now wish I would have sprung for them on my 07. I have pro comp wheels on the 07, powder coat black without a clear. They too did well in the 1.5 winters they were in NY. I would stay away from clearcoat if you are in the snow belt. I gave up on the factory rims, the clear coat on those didn't last a month before it started peeling.

Ditto on the clear coat. I have AR wheel, nice wheel, but nicks in the clear cause corrosion and a PAIN to clean up. It took 8 hrs, several buffer balls, 4 cans of elbow grease, every cleaner known to man (a few known only to women) and partridge in a pear tree to get them cleaned up.

Ditto on the clear coat. I have AR wheel, nice wheel, but nicks in the clear cause corrosion and a PAIN to clean up. It took 8 hrs, several buffer balls, 4 cans of elbow grease, every cleaner known to man (a few known only to women) and partridge in a pear tree to get them cleaned up.

:omg: I'm still wondering what that partridge did...

Just to clarify powder coatings. They are all basically the same thing, whether they are clear or pigmented.

I have had AR Torque Thrust II's for 9 or 10 years. They are polished aluminum though, but they will shine as much or more than they would when they were brand new. I polish them about once a year.

I have been very happy with them.

We ran the factory rims for 2 winters, but not another. Going to get REAL snow tires and steel wheels for next winter.

We just dropped our spare, cleaned it up, sprayed 2 coats of rocker guard on it, gonna do the hanger bracket, grease the cable, then put it back up.

I have the Chrome Torq Thrust ST's on my SS and love them. Quality is excellent, I've run them for 4 summers now and they still look as good as the day I bought them. I don't run them in the winter, I run snow tires on some factory Avalanche wheels that I believe are clear coated and our cities & state road depts use salt and calcium chloride on the roads in the winter and the clear coat is holding up just fine.

I don't know if it makes a difference in quality or if all of their wheels are or not, but mine are stamped "USA" on the back which surprised me because when I was wheel shopping most other brands were stamped "China".

Archived