How-To: Replace Heated Washer Unit With The Alphatherm.

jthelman

Where and how much for the alphatherm unit?I just got my recall notice today and promise of a $105 for the hassel

Here you go: http://www.alphathermusa.com/heatedwash-AT-37GM.html

I don't feel so mad about them taking the factory unit and then giving me a $100. The $100 will cover the cost of this replacement and leave a little left over. Sounds like this install is a breeze!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aparently there is an issue... people bitch if they do nothing... people bitch if they fix the problem... They installed a bandaid and tried to get the supplier to pony up. The supplier went under. Go figure in this F'd up economy. One guy wants ten percent of the value of his truck. A must have? Haven't had it before and noone else driving has it (that I'm aware of} How can it be a must have? Give me a friggen break.

I bought my truck in Indiana, it has the heated washer option, but I doubt it's ever been used. Moved to Georgia and have no need for it! I'm thinking a $100 from GM to remove some useless weight from my truck is a good thing! Should be good for a .000001% increase in gas mileage! :lol:

Mines going into the dealers tomorrow, hate to see it go as it has come in handy many many times!

Come this fall I think I will look further into this upgrade and decide then if I really need it?

May just wait until warranty is up but it suck waiting for a couple of years!

Went to the dealer to get the seat covers replaced and the recall done today too. I then went out in the garage for the Alpatherm install. As others described, easy as can be, the biggest issue I had was getting the top end of the bracket to hold the unit in place. I'm guessing the dealer must've bent it slightly when removing the stock unit, because I had to break out the pliers to get the unit to be held in place nicely.

Went to the dealer to get the seat covers replaced and the recall done today too. I then went out in the garage for the Alpatherm install. As others described, easy as can be, the biggest issue I had was getting the top end of the bracket to hold the unit in place. I'm guessing the dealer must've bent it slightly when removing the stock unit, because I had to break out the pliers to get the unit to be held in place nicely.

I don't think I have that bracket you are talking about. Dealer must of removed it..

I don't think I have that bracket you are talking about. Dealer must of removed it..

They are not suppose to remove it,Theres no reason to remove it :uhoh:

Their website shows an aftermarket unit that can be installed on any vehicle. I might install that on my GMT-800. My only hangup on it is that it doesn't have a switch. I think I would add a switch to the circuit so it isn't always keeping washer fluid hot.

Might be a dumb question, but how do you install the new one? My brother had it removed from his 07 ESV and pretty soon it will be removed from my 2008 Tahoe and I need to know how to access the area and make sure the dealers left the harness there.

The dealer removed my bracket, and cut the truck side of the harness. They did manage to almost wrap up the bare cut wires, but the electrical tape is already coming off. Guess I am going to see the service manager tomorrow! Does anybody have a wiring diagram of the wires so I know if any of the ones that were cut could short out? I am pretty pissed off!

You need to pull the dealer TSB and read it. It also has pictures of the removal and the exact procedure the dealer is to follow. The bracket is not to be removed per the TSB. Again, the TSB has actual pictures by vehicle model of the exact removal procedure.

They must reinstall the bracket. First the fuse is removed, then unit removed from bracket, then wires from the unit and their respective connectors are cut and removed from unit, unit connectors then cut in unequal lengths and taped, then connectors are reinstalled to truck side connectors and the two connector assemblies are reattached to the bracked, then the washer hoses are re connected together.

No truck side wires or connectors are to be cut. Only the wires and connectors on the heater unit side.

had the recall done last week, haven't gotten the hood up yet to see exactly how they did it but man I'm gonna miss it in the winter! Came in handy many times...oh well...

Get the upgraded one from www.alphathermusa.com.

Costs less than what GM gave you.

One of my issues with the removal of the old unit is that I will have a useless button on my center console now that does nothing. Can they not replace the set of buttons as part of the recall also? Seems like we are getting the short end of the stick on this one. I like the fact that we can get the newer module but worried that they will try to remove that one the next time I come in for service.

I went to the dealer last week to have some minor service done. I talked to the service mgr and the tech in the shop. I elected to keep my unit and signed the waver. I told them about this forum and the Alphatherm unit. The tech took me out to the shop and showed me a barrel full of heater units. He seemed puzzeled when I told him I thought these had to go back to GM based on what I have read here. He said they would just be thrown away. He also said that when he does the removal, he removes the 60 amp fuse, the heater unit, cuts the wires on the unit and tucks up the harness in the firewall, out of sight. He also must remove the hose segments that plumb the heater into the washer fluid system. He said these hoses are hard to find. He has a drawer full of them that he has taken off. I intend to replace the heater myself with the Alphatherm unit and then take the truck in sometime, give them the old unit and get the recall checked off.

Archived